Discovery Gaming Community
disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Flood (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 (/showthread.php?tid=105262)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Enchanter - 09-23-2013

"I refuse to believe its dying. -.-

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Narcotic - 09-23-2013

That was a "day graph".

However, here's a current "month graph":

[Image: getgraph_singlesrvphp-1.png]

I remember the times when I had to wait like half an hour to get a free server spot among the 225 full places.

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Syrus - 09-23-2013

(09-23-2013, 10:57 AM)Veygaar Wrote: I occasionally spam YouTube with video links to Disco Gameplay. Epic battles.

Whoever uploads battles should spam them as video responses to various highly trafficked gaming channels.
That is not just mostly useless, but also annoys the people who's channel that is. And if you post the links to the vids in the comments you'll just get a flood of hatefull people coming over.

Of course if you can convince a big channel to go like "Hey guys, you should check out this" - that'd be good. I guess tagging the vids right (wish I don't do for mine, since they are mostly short vids to show something like bugs or such) helps getting them known on YouTube - at least for people looking for Freelancer. And likes are very important. If people watch the vids they should "like" them (if they like them, of course), that gives them more attention. The problem with that is, though, that only few people look for Freelancer on YouTube.

Giving the game a bit more attention via (gaming) forums is also a good idea, but please consider the community around there first, and point out that it is an RP server - there isn't extreme RP necessary, but at least some basic level of RP is preferred. Even if it isn't really the intend of the server, people can very well "survive" on it, without "really RPing", if they don't go spamming smileys or breaking the 4th wall constantly.

I was quite surprised to see a post about Discovery (and this server) pop up on the forum "where I pretty much started on the Internet" some time ago. Didn't get much attention though, sadly. Guess the youth nowadays prefers playing the 198th version of Modern Warfare or Battlefield or FIFA or the 34th addon to The Sims. Or play games where every 3rd word is a word that wouldn't be allowed in Disco's "prestine forums" (talking about GTA V here 8| don't get me wrong though, so far from what I saw I like the game, even if a lot of the stuff depicted there pisses me off, when I think about how it is iRL "like that", but that's how GTA has to be).

To say it in other words:
We're playing a 10 year old game here, which is from a franchise that has never seen the greatest attention. Unless we one day get a big Chinese player-surge (like that Russian player-surge) we'd probably have to expect the amount of players to very (very?) slowly go down. Though no-one seems to be able to get rid of the Freelancer-curse. (Unless we go like WoW and turn the game into unlikeable crap with a beyond-horrible community.)

EDIT: About the graph ... you have to keep in mind that that was also the month in which the idiot-brigade went around killing bigger gatherings in seconds, because their life's couldn't give them any more useful purpose than being a dic...tionary-slap-needing a...bstract thingy of a human pile of sh...rimps. Or something.

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Daedric - 09-24-2013

[Image: getgraph_singlesrv.php?sig=8ea084da-545c...frame=year]

Though I think the OP was being sarcastic, it is ironic that his statement is actually factual.

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Altejago - 09-24-2013

I like turtles

I also think too much energy is spent on complaining and not enough of doing more for the server.

Like playing on it.

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Flashâ„¢ - 09-24-2013

2 weeks ago I saw 182 players. Now I see 10

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Daedric - 09-24-2013

(09-24-2013, 06:02 AM)Altejago Wrote: I like turtles

I also think too much energy is spent on complaining and not enough of doing more for the server.

Like playing on it.

I'd wager that there are far better things that could be done for the server, than logging on and playing. Perhaps work on the reasons that so many no longer play on the server? That would be the best start, but won't happen. Sad

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Altejago - 09-24-2013

I agree, there probably is better things to do than play on a server provided for us out of the good will of others for the sake of activity.

However, I'm simple and this is my simple contribution.

Though, what else would you suggest Dae?

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - lIceColon - 09-24-2013

Freelancer Video tag... Star Citizen 8|
and mention Star Citizen somewhere in the video to make it relevant, eg. "this game is predecessor to Star Citizen"

RE: disco is dying !!!1111!1!111 - Makc_RU - 09-24-2013

This game is the Daddy of SC Smile