Discovery Gaming Community
Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Cultural minorities in the Sirius (/showthread.php?tid=119450)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Minorities in the Sirius - Mímir - 08-21-2014

Well there are actually some problems bringing latin back to life, and it is actually dead.

There are a lot of disagreements regarding phonemes and more, and these are things that cannot be recovered and will always be sources of dispute. As a written language these issues do not surface (as much... there are still disagreements on how to spell different words), but as a spoken language it is quite different. A non-dead language would not suffer from these issues, but a dead language needs to be reconstructed phonetically, and there is no way (short of time travel) to establish whether or not current approximations are correct.

RE: Minorities in the Sirius - Fluffyball - 08-21-2014

This is why I put a distinct line between Ancient Latin and Middle-Ages Latin, which is used e.g. by Catholic Church.

RE: Minorities in the Sirius - /// Drake /// - 08-21-2014

(08-21-2014, 01:21 PM)Mímir Wrote: Well there are actually some problems bringing latin back to life, and it is actually dead.

There are a lot of disagreements regarding phonemes and more, and these are things that cannot be recovered and will always be sources of dispute. As a written language these issues do not surface (as much... there are still disagreements on how to spell different words), but as a spoken language it is quite different. A non-dead language would not suffer from these issues, but a dead language needs to be reconstructed phonetically, and there is no way (short of time travel) to establish whether or not current approximations are correct.

I WILL NEVER LET GO OF LATIN!!! *fights to the death*

RE: Minorities in the Sirius - Binski - 08-21-2014

There would undoubtedly be descendants of every society on Earth that has been incorporated into the nations that made it to Sirius, which would be most nations all around the world. Where are the romans? Have you been to the states? Trust me they're still here, but only thier doctors bother using Latin Wink

RE: Minorities in the Sirius - Vicho Deivis - 08-21-2014

The latin is death because it won't change spontaneously. Only if a group like the catholic church see the need to add new words and they do a meeting (I don't know how they call it) to do so. But you can´t compare that with any of the dynamics that show the english or the spanish.

RE: Minorities in the Sirius - Highland Laddie - 08-21-2014

Quote:Wait, are we talking about nationalities, languages, or cultures? Or are we talking how to relate those WITH the Discovery universe?

I think it started off talking about race/ethnicity, then somehow switched over to nationalities, BOTH of which are a bit different than culture.

RE: Minorities in the Sirius - VinitS - 08-21-2014

talking about minorities....I see ships name having Indian Origin..IMG Ships..Nanda Devi..Nanga Parbat....Smile
also..Dabadaro Station....meaning Daily Medicine Supplies in Hindi..

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Fluffyball - 08-21-2014

Topic changed into "Cultural minorities of the Sirius". I believe it will be more correct topic for this matter, as VinitS pointed out.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - VinitS - 08-21-2014

Yes..We can have GMG as group of people from Different Ethnicity...got to Sirius in Kusari Ship....

IMG...with their Indian named Ships..Singapore Station....may Represent South East Asia.....

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - ProwlerPC - 08-21-2014

(08-21-2014, 11:56 AM)WPeregrine Wrote: There was a for a period of time a group of chinese named GMG players active, even though the Coalition claims that they retain all the humans with Chinese ancestry in their ranks.

The GMG would be considered a cultural minority in Disco, yes, but no they were not Chinese. Same Japanese ancestors who boarded the Japanese Sleeper Ship. GMG's origins come from being Kusari's Second Colony on Honshu as they called it in their early years of expansion. They were fishermen on that water planet and over the first few centuries of Kusari's growth those pre-GMG fished out the planet. The period of 300-350 is when a large portion of the Honshu colony left Kusari and went into the Sigmas where their explorers found the gas. By today GMG's primary blood would still be Kusari blood with a fair portion (perhaps a solid quarter) being Rheinland blood be it pure or mixed in and a small fraction being Liberty and Bretonian blood. But yes with nearly 600 yrs of independance and isolation combined with relatively small numbers compared to a house I definitely agree that GMG is a minority culture.
But don't let the term culture make you believe they are more then a profit minded business oriented sovereign Guild. There's no elected gov't there who is accountable to it's tax paying citizens. It's 'citizens' are life time employees who receive cheques for their work. Handsomely paid and highly motivated to keep the Guild golden age going and thus their own accounts filled with credits. Perhaps in the future it may evolve into a house, I like to perhaps think it's in it's birthing pains atm. For such an achievement to happen, however, it would require unseating it's greedy profit minded leaders and replacing them with elected leaders. Incidently this would create GMG's first homegrown unlawful group born from their own ranks for the first time in it's nearly 600 yrs of organized perfected rule of it's own ranks (unlike the houses all of GMG's unlawfuls are imported from somewhere else, the guild is very tight knit and organized). The whole thing would take decades and should remain something that will take longer then Disco will exist, not rushed, keep it in birthing pains. Lot's of opportunities to RP a full house and non houses, this is one that's in the middle and already achieved sovereign recognition from it's house neighbours, I would hope it continues it's slow transition and not skip over any intermittent pre-house RP opportunities that it's current state can provide.

Sorry at first it wasn't meant to be a wall of text. Bad habit....Angel