Discovery Gaming Community
Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Smugglers and Mooring Rings (/showthread.php?tid=12058)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Baltar - 09-13-2008

' Wrote:It seems good, but there's also a downside to it all. If it can be disrupted that means enemy ships can also keep fleeing lawfuls from docking (GB clas or higher).

Ah ... don't see a downside here. Now pirates can prevent all these traders from speed docking away from us. I can see an increase in piracy and an increase in the demands made. More money for us ... yeah!

' Wrote:YES YES AND YES !!!!

DEATH TO CAMPING ARMS DEALERS !!!

Hehe ... yes yes ... I agree. We pirates can now catch these dealers who sell Tizonas, Nomads and CODIES to lawfuls. Destroy the ship and cash in on their stores (or destroy their collection).

' Wrote:Theres no excuse for this at all.

How about instead of 5 liberty cap ships sitting in front of the planet you set up patrols and RP a little yourselves?

Calling smugglers OORP for smuggling, thats deplorable.

However the cops not doing their job and just sitting there eating donuts parallels real life remarkably well.

// SIGNED //

Need to see these LPI actual role play. I'm getting tired of being stopped by LSF and LN about my cargo. Its LPI's job, not LSF and LN ... think role play here dude. Police deal with law breakers. LSF and LN deal with national security ... like dealing with pirates and other house militaries.

I have YET to see an LPI ANYWHERE except parked above Manhattan. Put the donuts down and do your flipping job.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - jpo - 09-13-2008

Its not OORP for crying out loud.

They can't catch you on the planet surface, theres 220 million pople on planet manhattan and the city takes up the bulk of the sufrace. Its not OORP to walk right by them with the goods where its possible.

' Wrote:Its not OORP for crying out loud.

They can't catch you on the planet surface, theres 220 million pople on planet manhattan and the city takes up the bulk of the sufrace. Its not OORP to walk right by them with the goods where its possible.

Sorry ... I agreed with you ... hence the "//SIGNED//"

The stuff I wrote under that was not directed at you but to those who are too lazy to get out and actually catch a smuggler.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Bjorn - 09-13-2008

Taken there is only one docking ring, and that big smuggler ships are rather, you know.. BIG (compare usual ones flying in planet scenes to buildings) So, it would be rather easy for police officer in space to call dock and say: Adv. Train, callsign John.Doe is smuggler, arrest on spot.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - dr lameos - 09-13-2008

A good idea but:

The mooring points couldn't be neutral, because then anyone could dock anywhere.

' Wrote:A good idea but:

The mooring points couldn't be neutral, because then anyone could dock anywhere.

You mean ... like lawful traders docking on unlawful bases ... especially to get away from pirates?

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - monsterlancer - 09-13-2008

' Wrote:How about if you don't camp in front of the planet and take a bit distance?
So you have enough time to blow them up....

Not enough time.

I have set with the tail of my fighter backed up to the area between the rings and Mooring . just touching. Have a smuggler come out of the WP to Manhatten TL. Boosting or cruse up to rings.

Scan and SS for record.
Open correct window. Type (smuggler name) HALt or Halt ( Smuggler Name). ( Do to the amount of people in the area.) Bring guns up and fire to stop Transport or bigger.

The guy is already docked.
Total time:5-6 sec.
I have had a smuggler who drops out of the TL about half way and cruises till he is two TL's out and then reenters the TL and then you only have 3 seconds to scan, verbal request and fire.

Personally if a smuggler has been by you once before I feel that no futher warnings need to be said and you can then fire when they are in range (SOS)for the next 24 hours. IMO.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - beander2 - 09-13-2008

' Wrote:It's very OORP for a smuggler to dock with a lawful base after being sprung for contraband goods.

Not taking a side in the actual question, but this sentence should be addressed. I'd agree with you if "base" here means station or dockable ship, but in the context of planets - which is your point - I don't agree.

Yes, Manhattan is marked as "police base," but that should be interpreted as "police base located here," not that the entire planet is a police base. As others have pointed out, there is nothing OoRP at all about a smuggler landing on a populated planet to sell his/her cargo - in fact, most smugglers would prefer the anonymity that comes with a planetary destination.

As to doing it after being "sprung," I'd think smugglers in RL would run through populated places on purpose if being chased by police. I don't really get what's out of character here.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Tenacity - 09-13-2008

Look at a city planet surface sometime - there's hundreds of ships flying around all over the place.

As far as I'm concerned, if you manage to get into the atmosphere of the planet, there's no way a cop is going to be able to track you among those hundreds of other ships.

Of course... I think it should be against ship/ID rules for a transport, large transport, train, improved train, or advanced train to haul contraband. Same should go for the heavy tanker, whale, etc. - all the "big" lawful trade ships.

Smugglers should be using smaller ships designed for smuggling. Pirate Transport, Firefly, various Freighters, etc.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - monsterlancer - 09-13-2008

' Wrote:Also even if you try to smuggle as it should be (eg, full hold of items and maybe 1-5% is contraband)

I would like to see this. Every so called smuggler I have come across has been 5-10 crew and the rest of the hold full of Contraban. It would be fun to RP an (quickie) inspection and maybe have a faulty scaner (Cant pick up small quanties or the famous last scan of the day routine.

' Wrote:there are bad smugglers and bad law.

You are right.