Discovery Gaming Community
Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? (/showthread.php?tid=142447)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Emperor Tekagi - 08-23-2016

I always tried and usually managed to keep a variety to the behaviour of my chars.
Especially those I care about more got so many details and went into so many directions which I never planned or saw incoming for them.

Most of my chars are different from me in many ways, a couple of them makes me even sad to play or cause other less nice feelings.
The variety and barely endless possibility of how ones char can behave, act and change and life for their faction or how they get out of said faction etc.
I guess I had only two real cases where I accidently made one of my chars know more then it should, but they are barely always (except when my mood is like extremely bad or good) not influenced by myself.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Enkidu - 08-23-2016

Nesrin is a character I roleplay as intensely as I can. She has little bearing on who I am as a person, and whilst there is one thematic element of her which is imported, it's an obscure one. She's currently my only character in the Discoverse, and that status quo is likely to remain for a considerable period of time.

The short and shorter of it: Yes.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Sorrontis - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 06:16 PM)Vendetta Wrote: I don't think you guys are getting the concept of the question.

Do you play the character or are you portraying yourself as the character?

Is the character you or is the character its own individual?

Are you simply giving yourself another name or are you acting?

The question is pertaining to self-inserts and giving characters a unique personality and thought process different from that of your own.

Good point.

It's really a little of column A, and a little column B.

All my characters have a smidgen of me in them; write what you know.
All my characters have a smidgen of what I wish I could be.
All my characters have a smidgen of what I am not, nor would want to be.
All my characters have personalities and ideals that make it fun for me to play them.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - SMI-Great.Fox - 08-23-2016

Can't RP as I'd like to on the forums, against the rules.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Kauket - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 10:21 PM)SMI-Great.Fox Wrote: Can't RP as I'd like to on the forums, against the rules.

Good. It's not a part of the universe, and should never be.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Sombs - 08-23-2016

Listen to the green girl with the white hair and the yellow horned helmet.

(08-23-2016, 10:38 PM)Auzari Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 10:21 PM)SMI-Great.Fox Wrote: Can't RP as I'd like to on the forums, against the rules.

Good. It's not a part of the universe, and should never be.

Can say the same for Auxesia.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Kauket - 08-23-2016

I don't know how comparing an original faction is the same as comparing it to an internet fad - hell, even a fetish. All I just see is you in denial, using my faction as a scapegoat in effort to make some form of petty argument because you can't deny that it shouldn't be in the universe.

Memes, internet culture, furries, ponies and whatever abominations come from the online don't belong on discovery or its lore, period.

(08-23-2016, 10:56 PM)Auzari Wrote: I don't know how comparing an original faction is the same as comparing it to an internet fad - hell, even a fetish. All I just see is you in denial, using my faction as a scapegoat because you can't deny that it shouldn't be in the universe.

Memes, internet culture, furries, ponies and whatever abominations come from the online don't belong on discovery or its lore, period.

It's sad to see a majority of people say that when they have zero idea what it truthfully means and just go by what uneducated souls state instead of looking into such for themselves. So your loss when all mine are original characters as well. Since 2010 if I may say so. Compared to Aux being around since... this year?

Go educate yourself Auzari.

RE: Do you really "Roleplay" your character? - Ace Razgriz - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 11:09 PM)SMI-Great.Fox Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 10:56 PM)Auzari Wrote: I don't know how comparing an original faction is the same as comparing it to an internet fad - hell, even a fetish. All I just see is you in denial, using my faction as a scapegoat because you can't deny that it shouldn't be in the universe.

It's sad to see a majority of people say that when they have zero idea what it truthfully means and just go by what uneducated souls state instead of looking into such for themselves. So your loss when all mine are original characters as well. Since 2010 if I may say so. Compared to Aux being around since... this year?

Go educate yourself Auzari.

While I would not like to start up the furry debate again... I can only say that Nyx is right, in that no where in canon discovery lore do anthropomorphic beings exist in a sentient state and fly amongst humans with no major scientific backlash. Its not canon, and while it sucks that your characters violated a rule, it was something that had a negative effect on this community.

I won't point out any names specifically, but we know who it was that got furries confined to the reservation. All I can say is: sucks for you, at this point you can only deal with what was wrong.