Discovery Gaming Community
Conditions in Sirius - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Conditions in Sirius (/showthread.php?tid=14358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Conditions in Sirius - hribek - 12-09-2008

I think the wars and open hostilities between houses should stop. It sucks. In the original game, it was presented as a stable, but dynamic unvierse. Now everyone is at war. Few more years like this and it all goes to hell.

Conditions in Sirius - pchwang - 12-09-2008

Quote:I think the wars and open hostilities between houses should stop. It sucks. In the original game, it was presented as a stable, but dynamic unvierse. Now everyone is at war. Few more years like this and it all goes to hell.
/signed

Everyone should just go home and pick up trading again, so they can get pirated by the Hackers more often.

Conditions in Sirius - Emon - 12-09-2008

Quote:Everyone should just go home and pick up trading again, so they can get pirated by the Hackers more often.

I like the way this man thinks.

One thing that would greatly affect my interpretation of events is the scale of what happens in terms of NPCs. For example, on Sheffield Station (I think) one bounty Hunter claims that she's put away over 400 corsairs. If thats true, then surely theres a corsair thats taken out 400 bounty hunters and so on.

If those numbers are valid, itd have to be near constant conflicts to fuel them, leading me to believe that space would be a very dangerous place.

Conditions in Sirius - me_b_kevin - 12-09-2008

' Wrote:Speaking with Elgato, I realized (because he told me) that he considers the conditions in Siruis to be much worse than the wild west, much worse than the dark ages. He considers them to be close to those in fallout 3.
Soo...what's the consensus?

i've not played fallout 3 yet so, if by that you mean that (using wild west nomenclature) the sheriff, the preacher, the blacksmith, the grocer, the rancher, the farm hand, the prostitute, and the hobo each own a gold mine and have a fleet of armored wagons, a cavalry division, and several infantry brigades........

then yes....that's Sirius, or at least it will be that way soon.

sorry couldn't resist :D

Conditions in Sirius - Linkus - 12-09-2008

Wild West.

You have the large 'towns' that are relatively safe and only rarely (Very rarely) come under any kind of attack, save from other 'towns'.
You have the small 'towns' that are not so safe and can be very un-safe and even overun by bandit gangs etc.
You have the 'wilderness' which is essentially anything goes.

Morality, laws etc are all subject to change in these places, not so much in the large towns but especially in the wilderness etc.

Conditions in Sirius - pchwang - 12-09-2008

People also didn't die on a regular basis in the wild west. It was unsafe, but far safer than the media makes it.

Count the number of NPCs you kill one day you log on the server. Assign appropriate numbers to each NPC vessel, and you'll get an idea. Now factor in the fact that many people on the server are doing the same time. Also factor in how NPCs do this to each other.

Finally, deduct some for survivors who somehow lived through the explosions and vacuum in their lifepods.

Regardless of the number that survive, its still a lot of dead people.

Conditions in Sirius - Unseelie - 12-09-2008

I actually intend to request numbers of NPC death from Treewyrm.

Moreover, I think we should assume, for purpose of this study, media wild west and not realistic wild west. Media wild west is my only insight into the wild west.

Conditions in Sirius - Drake - 12-09-2008

I don't think number of NPC deaths by players should have any bearings on things. They're background decoration for the most part, and I doubt the real Liberty Navy has battleships and cruisers constantly flying into Manhattan.

This poll would be better divided between conditions on planets and conditions in space. The vast majority of the Sirius population lives on planets, and most of them probably never leave the planets. Now, we have no way to really know what the planetary conditions are like, but I'd assume that things are reasonably safe on most planets, though primarily low-class or city planets (like Leeds) will have a much higher crime rate, and low-class planets will likely have worse medical care.

Now space is a different subject.

Conditions in Sirius - Coin - 12-10-2008

' Wrote:Actually, you will neither explode nor freeze if exposed to hard vacuum. You'll get all sorts of nasty pressure injuries, but you won't go pop. You can't freeze, either: in order to lose heat, there must first be something to lose heat to.

this goes against what i was taught in physics class. Space, being (mostly) a vacuum, has no molecules to bounce together to retain any heat. A glass of water, with its van-der-waals' forces and surface tension will not just turn into a mist immediately, but will lose heat through conduction, convection and radiation. there will be a process of evaporation, where the faster moving water molecules will break through the surface tension and wander off, as there is no atmospheric pressure pushing down on the surface of the liquid. this evaporation will reduce the average heat in the remaining water, which will turn to ice.

in the case of a human without a suit, there is the problem of pressure. at atmospheric pressure, our bodies are super-saturated (80%) with nitrogen, the stuff that causes the 'bends' when a diver decompresses to fast. In space, the decompression from one atmosphere to zero is immediate, and the nitrogen would boil out of your tissues, your skin and into your blood, creating air blocks in the vessels of your heart and brain - killing you instantly. the wounds caused by the nitrogen's violent departure from your body would rip your lungs to shreds, as well as your eyes, and delicate skin, such as your face. your body would leak blood into space in the same process as the water above. Estimated time of survival? less than 30 secs before death. Rescue needs to be within 10-15 secs before permanent brain/heart/lung damage.

May be wrong about all of this, but not volunteering for any experiments ok?

' Wrote:I don't think number of NPC deaths by players should have any bearings on things. They're background decoration for the most part, and I doubt the real Liberty Navy has battleships and cruisers constantly flying into Manhattan.

This poll would be better divided between conditions on planets and conditions in space. The vast majority of the Sirius population lives on planets, and most of them probably never leave the planets. Now, we have no way to really know what the planetary conditions are like, but I'd assume that things are reasonably safe on most planets, though primarily low-class or city planets (like Leeds) will have a much higher crime rate, and low-class planets will likely have worse medical care.

Now space is a different subject.

agreed - but the game isn't set on planets/stations. we spend very little time on them. New london and leeds are always getting swarmed by mollys. I'm of the 'wild-west' persuasion:

the indigenous population is angry we have settled here (nomads Vs american indians)

the towns are relatively safe, but the roads/railways (tradelanes) can be infested with pirates

the corporations are fighting wars against each other, some overt, some covert

bounty hunters and mercenaries supplement the lawful forces

farming (mining) means that bandits can come and raid you (sneak up on your starflea in colorado)

the only thing we're missing is P.T. Barnum's Circus!

Conditions in Sirius - bluntpencil2001 - 12-10-2008

Yeah, a human can actually survive hard vacuum for a few seconds. The radiation is bad, but not fully lethal in some areas. The pressure isn't such a killer, since your skin holds everything in, but yes, the bends and the like are very, very likely.

You DON'T lose heat. There is nowhere for it to go. You can't conduct heat into vacuum.