Discovery Gaming Community
PoBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: PoBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) (/showthread.php?tid=145978)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Felipe - 12-05-2016

(12-04-2016, 08:59 PM)Wesker Wrote: Personally like base sieges the way they are now. It's not easy to motivate people to do a base siege unless you're me the numbers required and the coordination leads to large fights. It's also VERY time consuming for most sieges. 3% might not sound like a lot. But I was shooting 2 bases for 3 hours last night with 5 other valors if I remember right. It takes a long time, it requires lots of coordination and motivation. Making it harder would put pobs at 0 risk for being destroyed which makes no sense to me inrp or oorp.

However croft's idea is interesting, I guess I wouldn't mind if it was changed to the way he presented either.

You spent half night to destroy months of work and thinks its ok? Spent nothing on credits and destroyed billion of others gamers and thats cool? Man, and ppl say im deranged...

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Laura C. - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 12:48 AM)TickTack Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 12:31 AM)Zelot Wrote: Discovery has always encouraged people to join different and opposing factions. Implementing any rule that changes that will not only have a bad effect on playtime, but also in interpersonal conflict. By having people playing in opposing factions, they should be pushing the members of both factions to play with fun in mind. If you play on both sides you have empathy as a player (not a character) for ganks and the like. We used to say this all the time, we were different from other gaming communities because the idea of disco was not people being members of factions, as Hoodlum used to say, we aren't members of many factions, we are members of one faction and that faction is Disco. We want players from different parts of disco flying together and getting to know each other better. The more multi-factioning a player does, the more players on the server he gets to know, the more he can work things to have fun for everyone. Now, can that be abused? Yes, it can and has, but the abuse is not so bad that we should through out one of the underlying concepts of the community.

I agree 100% here, but still feel I must repeat my point and say that no one person should be in charge of two or more factions, it gives said person too much power and influence on the game and I'm surprised there isn't already a rule against it.
Because it would be very simple to go around such rule. Some friend/trusted person would be declared leader formally, while majority/all the decisions inside the faction would be done by that real leader which is leader of another faction too. And I seriously doubt admins want to open such can of worms of investigating how factions work inside and if the person which is in charge is really leading the faction or not (because situation may not be that easy like I described above) when they are not members of such faction. If there is player with influence, he won´t stop to have the influence just because he won´t be multifaction leader. Most of these players have influence because they have lot of friends, some of them leaders or in HC of other factions. So what next, we will forbid people to be friends with players from another factions and then ask people to report such "illegal" behaviour to admins for punishment?

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Engel - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 02:39 AM)Felipe Wrote:
(12-04-2016, 08:59 PM)Wesker Wrote: Personally like base sieges the way they are now. It's not easy to motivate people to do a base siege unless you're me the numbers required and the coordination leads to large fights. It's also VERY time consuming for most sieges. 3% might not sound like a lot. But I was shooting 2 bases for 3 hours last night with 5 other valors if I remember right. It takes a long time, it requires lots of coordination and motivation. Making it harder would put pobs at 0 risk for being destroyed which makes no sense to me inrp or oorp.

However croft's idea is interesting, I guess I wouldn't mind if it was changed to the way he presented either.

You spent half night to destroy months of work and thinks its ok? Spent nothing on credits and destroyed billion of others gamers and thats cool? Man, and ppl say im deranged...

You spend money on the battleships, aren't you? They cost a lot. You need to wipe out the enemy fleet without taking losses first if you want to succeed. Investing in POB is a risk and people know that, maybe mention that in POB tutorial. To be fair, if you don't build POB in a silly location and don't spoiling relations with local groups that have big guns, then you are good.

POBs are not suppose to be outstanding sandbox game within disco, it suppose to be killable by well-coordinated pvp group. Otherwise it's gonna turn into isolated supply and trading operations without taking any risks. Because when you are speaking about POB owners, those people are making money. Sieging side is gaining literally nothing and just doing it for the sake of playing the game.

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - SEI DeltaBase - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 09:05 AM)Engel Wrote: Because when you are speaking about POB owners, those people are making money. Sieging side is gaining literally nothing and just doing it for the sake of playing the game.

just like to point out that this is far from true for all owners, i made under 200k from mine it was built as a RP object not to make cash
also most POB that are still around are closed to the public so they make no cash ether

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Sombs - 12-05-2016

What did you expect then by placing it into a warzone? In the end, it really much ended up as causing two bigger fights, the latter being a bit frustrating because of the PvP-dead-when-one-snub-is-around-and-the-caps-can't-switch-to-smaller-ships thing. The siege in itself was a fair thing, though, as you could have been aware of GRN wearing the pants in Leeds, to be honest. You didn't come to them and asked them for permission. Instead, from a GRN point of view, they just find a foreign base in their new area, one that didn't ask for permission and one that didn't pay a questionable high amount of credits (although it's a punishment).

If I remember correctly, though, you tried to make money buy importing Black Market Ammo to bring it to the Leeds Resistance Base, which requires you to have a freighter to land on. With only having to fly to the Delta Base instead of Kreuzberg, you would have made good money there.

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - SEI DeltaBase - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 09:53 AM)Sombra Hookier Wrote: What did you expect then by placing it into a warzone? In the end, it really much ended up as causing two bigger fights, the latter being a bit frustrating because of the PvP-dead-when-one-snub-is-around-and-the-caps-can't-switch-to-smaller-ships thing. The siege in itself was a fair thing, though, as you could have been aware of GRN wearing the pants in Leeds, to be honest. You didn't come to them and asked them for permission. Instead, from a GRN point of view, they just find a foreign base in their new area, one that didn't ask for permission and one that didn't pay a questionable high amount of credits (although it's a punishment).

If I remember correctly, though, you tried to make money buy importing Black Market Ammo to bring it to the Leeds Resistance Base, which requires you to have a freighter to land on. With only having to fly to the Delta Base instead of Kreuzberg, you would have made good money there.

first you seem to think i have a problem with the bases being sieged, that is not that case at all as you said i built it in the war zone, i new it would come and thought i was ready for it, however the problem was the platform bugs!! that simply stopped them from working at all -_- hopefully the devs have started fixing that now!!
my bases had the effect i wanted and brung daily RNS activity back to leeds and also gave GRN a reason to log again
after all if you have seen our base page we where gallic hostile so no we where never going to ask for permission to be here

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Sombs - 12-05-2016

Are there requirements for a PoB weapon platform to respawn, like money or commodities? Or do they simply always respawn after getting destroyed as long as the PoB lives?

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Laura C. - 12-05-2016

(12-05-2016, 10:16 AM)SEI DeltaBase Wrote: first you seem to think i have a problem with the bases being sieged, that is not that case at all as you said i built it in the war zone, i new it would come and thought i was ready for it, however the problem was the platform bugs!! that simply stopped them from working at all -_- hopefully the devs have started fixing that now!!
I would not rely on it, considering they were unable to fix it for years (it is not a new issue, it is known for long time), I guess they simply did not find a way how to fix it.

RE: POBs | Factions - Balance & Motivation (open discussion) - Ihtyander - 12-05-2016

Has anybody made a parralel anology -

If your BS get destroyed in a fight - it is not forfeit for all time -you respawn

So if base destroyed in a siege why is destroyed permanent? Put respawn lockout time and all will be pleased from a prospect of RP.

The point of PoBs is them being able to die permanently, otherwise the systems would be paved with PoBs and nobody could do anything about it. There wouldn't be any siege, as it would be a pointless waste of hours. People could set a PoB and shit on any roleplay consequence.

No, definitely, this will never happen.