Discovery Gaming Community
Remodeling Bases - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Remodeling Bases (/showthread.php?tid=21230)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Remodeling Bases - BlueSpawn - 06-01-2009

' Wrote:I can barely fly.. I die really well.. but..

I believe you and I got off to a bad start, so let me say that you are a shining example of "Homo Neophilus".

Okay, you're going to make me blush. :>

Feel free to submit any TAZ paraphernalia or slogans, Mr.Mal. In addition to revamping space-stations I also want to place little floating billboards, like "Welcome to such-and-such! Please remember to take your underpants on your way back."

Turkish: Thanks. I appreciate it. Will be posting stuff under this thread in the future.

Johann: I'm not sure how that will work. Might have to test it out and such.

Remodeling Bases - tansytansey - 06-01-2009

My only concern is that if we make every base unique, or if we give a unique version of every kind of base to each of the houses, how much bigger is that going to make the mod? How much more strain is it going to put on the server?
I'm all for the idea, but not if it decreases stability and performance of the mod/server. Perhaps we could reskin some of the existing base archtypes to fit better with the houses. I think the base outside New London (one that looks like Newark) already reflects this, it has the royal red seen on the Royal Liner on the model.

Remodeling Bases - reavengitair - 06-01-2009

Very nice deisgn.

In my opinion, every station needs a redo... well... every station type. As in generic bases. Like we could have a "pirate base", and have about 10 bases using the same model.

And planets should be 5x the size they are now.

But great work! I could never do something that good!

Remodeling Bases - Kuraine - 06-01-2009

Hmm. Firstly, Bluespawn, several people have asked if you have Skype or some other instant messaging program with which to communicate with people here other than on the forums (Skype is preferable as many people use it here). Secondly, I too would like to know what your skype is XD Because while I don't have the necessary skills to create stuff like this, i've been trying to find people who can in order to make new bases.

I definitely think you should go ahead and create a concept base to begin with, to show everyone the sort of thing you can do. That will help with generally assessing the extent to which you will be able to help out with the mod, which i'm sure is a lot! But we need to know what we've got to work with. I think that while we could have some totally radical new station designs, we should try to keep it fairly freelancer-ish in looks overall. That doesn't mean to say we copy existing bases, but we try to keep them at least somewhat similar. Gallia is the biggest issue and also the House which really needs a more distinctive look in terms of bases, so completely different styles of bases could certainly work there.

Either way, hopefully you'll respond to the stuff about instant messaging programs and actually get in touch with me, Seth Karlo and everyone else who asked via Skype for a good discussion about this stuff.

Remodeling Bases - BlueSpawn - 06-01-2009

I'm quite busy and I posted the topic just yesterday but I'll try to get an account and contact people either today or tomorrow.

Server slow down is a valid concern. The only way to find out is to test it. I have a feeling that by keeping the poly count relatively low, it shouldn't be a large issue. Freeworlds has StarWars empire battleships ten times the size of a Freelancer base, with crazy detail. I would imagine their server has never got clogged down due to this, or if it has, then there's our answer. However, I do not aim to make any stations as large as the ones in Freeworlds (although truth be told, it would be really really nice).

P.S. It seems that a few peeps have mistaken the original post's artwork as my own. It's actually by another very good concept artist for a game called Jumpgate Evolution.

Remodeling Bases - Turkish - 06-01-2009

Freelancer can actually handle models pretty well, what usualy clogs down server performance is the associated texture library. When you have multiple accouints caching a 2.3 Mb targa file over a 234 Kb dds image it creates a noticable performance drop.

The server itself wont actually come under strain technically, all visual assets are handles by the playersied client while the server routes data and connects players. This isn't to say that the server wont take some hits from having to cache, parse, and feed all the related data..

The bottom line is so long as your work is keen and well optimised, as well as suited to the environment of the game it should be perfectly fine.

Remodeling Bases - aznremix416 - 06-05-2009

I would -really- like to see a complete makeover of the stations, as they are all the dull and boring. If you can make the stations a little more vibrant and make this project work out then I am sure most (if not all) of the discovery community will appreciate it

Good luck to you bro

Remodeling Bases - BlueSpawn - 06-05-2009

I appreciate it!

I should have something to present by the end of the week.

EDIT:

Here's one quick sketch for an IC base. I apologize for its crude and undetailed design.

[Image: base1.jpg]

Remodeling Bases - aznremix416 - 06-06-2009

dude that looks really good, and I can see the points where some old Freelancer station parts come in like the coonector, the windows. even the lights. I think this might actually work out fine.

now the 3d design hmm.....:P

Remodeling Bases - dr lameos - 06-06-2009

that 'dome' on the top reminds me of london's city hall http://data.greatbuildings.com/gbc/images/...ity_Hall_02.jpg

Not a bad concept, the bottom section looks a little flimsy perhaps. Anyhow, I'll await a modelled version.

But indeed, we do need new station designs.