Discovery Gaming Community
Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. (/showthread.php?tid=25478)

Pages: 1 2 3

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - chovynz - 08-26-2009

' Wrote:Nice flame war, guys.
That sounds more difficult to me then making bigger planets.
Space battles would be weird.. 400 mps drift fighting? Then all the guns would have to increase..

Lets all go back to the cheery topic of complaining about how much capships get owned by Bombers! I love the 5 threads every 3 days.
Phhhttt... this isn't a flame war. This is piddle compared to the other things I've seen.
This is more like.... someone not thinking, others trying to tell him so...

I believe after that it devolved into a "well, since your not listening..."

And this is +1

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - reavengitair - 08-26-2009

Been brought up many times. I would love the idea, but when I tried it, it was nearly impossible to get it right...

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - tansytansey - 08-26-2009

Before you even think of the idea of rescaling all the ships in game, you have to know this:

In order to make changes to a ship you must create a new CMP model. Which means you would have to re-hardpoint every ship in the mod, and then create new hitboxes for them too. Then you would have to rebalance every single ship and gun in the game so it was actually possible to hit your opponent. (size plays a big role in accuracy).

The amount of work this requires for a mod as already well developed as Discovery is phenominal. It would have had to be done with a vanilla copy of Freelancer before the other modifications were made. We have something like 200+ ships now, it takes me roughly 1-2 hours to hard point a model, and about another hour to create a hitbox. Longer if I want a perfect hitbox.

No, it's just not practicle to do now.

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - Agran Harper - 08-26-2009

Quote:I looked up "scaling issues" and all of the solutions I found were that of INCREASING the other resource sizes, (ie; planets, stations, JGs, lanes.
The "puny little planets" thread went to decreasing the size of ships too after you mentioned it. Have you followed the discussion therafte? You should.

Because of this perhaps

As Nighthawk perfectly stated; I can think of better and more reasonable things to put effort into, than just a mere resize of the game...

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - silverleaf - 08-26-2009

AGREES with author they should be resized

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - dead_shot - 08-26-2009

Give it up please! These requests make no sense since they would distort the mechanics of the game as we know it. There are people on this server that have be playing for ages and now you want to entirely change everything just because YOU don't like it. We're playing a RP server here, it includes the use of your imagination if you have none and want realism I recommend you try "EVE". Geeeez!

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - SilentAssassin82 - 08-26-2009

I think you all should remember it was only an idea that the author of this thread put forward. An idea i have to admit i did think of myself long ago. Until i actually worked out that it was impossible on my own. It was only a suggestion of a possible solution to somthing that bugs alot of the FreeLancer comunity (the overall scale of thing). Now without people comming across with ideas, no matter how trivial they may seem to some of us. We wouldn't move forward at all, infact every good idea ever thought of in FreeLancer most likely sounded stupid to someone in the FL comunity.

Well with that said, in my eyes every idea is a good idea, including bad ones.

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - Hundra - 08-26-2009

' Wrote:The "puny little planets" thread went to decreasing the size of ships too after you mentioned it. Have you followed the discussion therafte? You should.

Because of this perhaps

As Nighthawk perfectly stated; I can think of better and more reasonable things to put effort into, than just a mere resize of the game...
I cannot look through every thread and look for every post and every single thing that has to to with the idea I stated, I will not do it, it is not worth it so I won't be told to "search function, use it".

and for the drift function, who uses cruise and EK's and then fights?

Reduce ALL ship sizes to fit scaling. - Agran Harper - 08-26-2009

Quote:I cannot look through every thread and look for every post and every single thing that has to to with the idea I stated, I will not do it, it is not worth it so I won't be told to "search function, use it".
I never intended to tell you "use the search function" but I was slightly confused why you did not look up the thread where you proposed the idea in the first place...? *capital question mark*