Discovery Gaming Community
Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release (/showthread.php?tid=2770)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - onca - 05-02-2007

You're writing your own game engine from scratch? w00t

Hey is it gonna run on Vista? (ha just kidding:P)

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - TankTarget - 05-02-2007

Vista is gay... and I cannot wait. And Discovery would kick ass on openlancer you kidding QV?

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - Blackhole - 05-03-2007

Well openlancer won't support mods for a while anyway, it'll be hard enough making the game.

Openlancer works fine on vista, because i'm RUNNING vista.:D

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - Zyreal - 05-03-2007

Wow, this looks incredibly impressive, and I'm super excited...

Are there any differences in recommended poly counts?

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - BestFlyerHere - 05-03-2007

YESSSSS!!!! FINALLY, A GAME THAT PLAYS ON VISTA!!!!!!!

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - Commodore - 05-03-2007

' Wrote:Uh, we aren't using a program to make it. Rather, we are using Visual C++ 2005 IDE to write the code to make the game. THat is a program, but not in the sense you are implying. Gamemaker has a pre-built game engine and it lets you tailor it to your needs. We're writing our own game engine.

For middleware we are using Ogre, Bullet, and Raknet, so far.
is that program free? if so, where can I download it? Gamemaker isnt good enough. I have a hard time with certain things, even the this with those little lines floating by when you move fast. also does anyone know what freelancer was made with?

@Zyreal: Yes, there are. However, this heavily depends on the power of the computers that people are playing it on. As a comparison though, here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo
Nvidia Geforce 7900 GS
2 gigs RAM

with that, i was able to get an FPS of about 70-80 with 1 million polys on the screen at once. it started going below 50 to around 40 when i hit 1.15 million polys. So, seeing as there are rarely more then 5 or so capships on screen at once, you could easiely give them polycounts of 30k or more. We'll also be using progressive LOD that will lower the polycounts of models as they get farther away dynamically (meaning no extra work for modellers). Since there are a lot of factors, these numbers could change, but its obvious that the number of polys in a freelancer ship is maybe a tenth of the polys in an Openlancer ship.

Openlancer also supports normalmapping, which further allows for more detail.

@BestFlyerHere: Ironically, the thing i'm most concerned about is if it'll run on windows XP properly. So far it has, but you never know.

@Commodore: Unless you know how to program in C++, the program is useless to you.

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - Commodore - 05-03-2007

well Im going to try out Game Studio. I think its good enough.

having to download 20 GBs is the problem

Openlancer Starblazer M1 Release - Qunitinius~Verginix - 05-03-2007

Tank, what im saying is, Disco is a mod for Freelancer. Open lancer will be a hundred times better then Freelancer. IF we had the disco mod running in open lancer it would suck compared to Vanila OL.

Im setting a high bar for you guys hahahaha, but yea its the truth.

Oh and Commodore. C++ is no a program. The guys in Openlancer and typing in a bunch of numbers and letters and OL is happening. Thats to put it in simple terms.

Verginix Out

Hehehehe, Don't worry, we've already set a par 5 miles high, you can't possibly make it any worse:crazy:

Course, its not all programming over here. Right now i have to discuss the AI engine API with megaburn. Very tedious, very boring.:(