Discovery Gaming Community
Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets (/showthread.php?tid=30338)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Taffic - 11-29-2009

' Wrote:Question: if this was put into effect, what would happen to that planet in
gallia that has 2 docking rings?
Docking rings will stay.
They are part of the game.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Eppy - 11-29-2009

Planetary scale is one of those aspects of Freelancer that we're better off not trying to make more realistic.

That said, I think mooring fixtures and docking rings do serve a function. First off, large ships. No, your Liberty Dreadnought is not landing in some huge-ass cradle on the surface of Manhattan; it is moored in low orbit. Taking off from the surface of the planet is impractical, even for an uber fusion engine like the Battleships these days have. That ship is at least half a kilometer long; do you know how much force that is, and how much radiation you're blasting the ground with? There's a reason they're built in space.

Then there's the problem of NPC routes. NPCs spawn, take off AND land from the docking rings and mooring fixtures. Do you know HOW much work it would be to reprogram every single NPC route in the game? We can argue all we want, but until some brave soul steps up to do that (mind you, dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours of work) this is ALL going to stay very, very theoretical.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Not Espi - 11-29-2009

space elevator concepts are real. nasa organises a competition event to try them out. not two months ago from now, some team actualy made one work with the help of some sort of laser to power it. of course they didn't end up in space, but it was pretty high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkdfuQdoW_Q

other teams didn't even lift theirs from the ground as far i know.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - tansytansey - 11-29-2009

Yes, lets just completely disregard Freelancer lore by removing Docking Rings.

<_<

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 11-29-2009

Yes, this is a great idea. For realism, among other things. This is how smugglers would get to manhattan with a full load of cardimine. Docking with the opposite side of the planet or even the poles.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - I_m_rdy - 11-29-2009

' Wrote:Yes, this is a great idea. For realism, among other things. This is how smugglers would get to manhattan with a full load of cardimine. Docking with the opposite side of the planet or even the poles.
But 4.82 had docking rings. :|

And keep the rings and fixtures, I want to fast dock until the glaciers melt.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Klaw117 - 11-29-2009

What if we leave the mooring fixtures, but take out the docking rings (or at least make them invisible)? That way, fighters can still land while looking like they're flying into the planet (shouldn't the shields protect against atmospheric reentry?) and bigger ships can be moored to the mooring fixtures.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Armageddon - 11-29-2009

I believe that docking rings should remain. They serve a purpose, if the docking rings were removed it would imply that ships could land on any planet. Therefore it would clash with the atmospheric warnings and ships not being able to survive reentry on uncolonised worlds.

I believe that the docking rings act in a similar way to the trade lane rings. They protect and allow ships to have a slow approach speed to a planet. Plus when ships are undocking they accelerate the ship to an high enough speed to hit orbit and then slow them down. As i think there would be a few problems with a starflea zooming out of orbit and hitting a station for example. They are there to make sure that things run smoothly.

Mooring Fixtures however are interesting. The current mooring fixtures look too small to be able to support battleships or cruisers. So possibly several different Mooring fixtures could be added to make things a tad more interesting?

So overall i think that to remove the docking rings would leave a lot of loose ends.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - Ash - 11-29-2009

It's engenious!

I love it.

At first I got the impact that it was an absurd idea, it completley ignored one of Freelancers most basic of concepts. But now I think about it, think about the potential!

For example, police forces have a ultimate control over who gets on and off manhatten due to the docking ring. It makes you wonder how smugglers from the orbiting IC stations ever get in. Well heres your answer. How do Junkers/Hogosha; a quasi lawful faction; get landing permits? Right here. And how can terrorist attacks ever be made on a planetside scale? *points*. Its a great idea, I would love to see it, but I fear it will never happen in this mod.

Just take a look at the poll.

Remove Docking Rings and Mooring fixtures from planets - reavengitair - 11-30-2009

*slaps everyone*
Quote:Yes, this is a great idea. For realism, among other things. This is how smugglers would get to manhattan with a full load of cardimine. Docking with the opposite side of the planet or even the poles.

Quote:You do realize you dock with the Ring. Aka the base where you roll around and all is the Ring, not the planet. The planet is simply an object.

So removing the ring would remove the base, foo.

I get the point of everyones discussion, perhaps I should rephrase how I would imagine it done.

Not REMOVING the docking ring, etc, but making them invisible.

Anyway, the main point I posted this, was because I hate docking rings >.> They are so ugly... They don't even remotely remind me of space elevators. But then again, I don't think a new model is needed (if anyone wants to try, go ahead)