Discovery Gaming Community
Remove cruise drain from LFs? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Remove cruise drain from LFs? (/showthread.php?tid=38411)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - Gaz83 - 04-16-2010

' Wrote:At least one in a group, but killing transport with LF is hard (they can be annoying as hell though) (maybe make bombers just 10 m/s slower than transports and caps 20 m/s, would give real use to LF)

I like this idea.
Because at the moment LFs are the most underused shipclass in the mod.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - tazuras - 04-16-2010

' Wrote:I'm pretty sure I heard someone say LFs are getting a Cruise Speed buff... that plus no cruise drain?

D:
Sweet, I get to post this again!

' Wrote:LFs are getting increased cruise speed as well as a bit better powercore.
Let's see how that works?

Also, I wouldnt support this unless the whole cruise speed, cruise charge time andcruise drain system was revised so all three of these things was different for different ship classes.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - Zeltak - 04-16-2010

Either higher cruise speed for Light Fighters or remove the Cruise Drain from them almost entirely. But not both.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - jxie93 - 04-17-2010

In order to balance out increased cruise speeds, there needs to be cruise drain.

As I said in my previous post, all classes of shiptypes need a rebalance in varying cruise speeds. Cruise drain is not a problem.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - Lancelot9 - 04-17-2010

Rebalancing definitely required, but definitely worth it to encourage LF use.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - SeaFalcon - 04-17-2010

' Wrote:In order to balance out increased cruise speeds, there needs to be cruise drain.

As I said in my previous post, all classes of shiptypes need a rebalance in varying cruise speeds. Cruise drain is not a problem.

I think there is 1 problem here.
If freighter or small transports can go faster why have big ships with 5k cargo when they can't make more profits since they are to slow to keep up. It needs some major balance thinking that way.

I would like to see engine items also it shouldn't be to hard? the items could be called Energy cells or something.

- Slow engine lots of energy
- faster engines low regenerate of energy

Also makes people different from each other and I think the whole cruise drain would be needed.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - Wo3dy - 04-17-2010

LF underused, ye true, but if someone uses them they get flamed by lag jumping and stuff.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - GHOSTbielars - 04-17-2010

-Overall be honest, its rare to see people in light fighters and even rarer if they choose to be in one rather than just using it as a stepping stone. Giving them some advantages just like the vhf has now wouldnt kill the server in my opinion. Idk am I wrong?

@ Sea Falcon.
-Thats kinda like worrying about the balance in the real world between a massive tanker and a large fishing boat. Yea one is marginally faster but they both serve a purpose.

The varying engines idea is interesting, gives more differences between ships. It is a little bothersome for me at least that all ships fly the same speed in cruise and even with the base engine for that matter. Not to call out the devs or anything (cause theyve done a great job seriously) but that is a pretty cool idea.

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - gekerd - 04-17-2010

How about this idea:
Cruise speeds
Light Fighters 370 m/s
Heavy Fighters/freighters 360 m/s
VHF/Transports 350 m/s
GB's/bombers (liners?) 340 m/s
Cruisers 330 m/s
BS 310 m/s

VHF are heavier, but have about the same engine as LF/HF and bombers are even heavier, while freighters are heavier as they have bigger engines on em as well. Same story for transports (you earn more if you are faster at your goal) GB/Cruisers/BS are just heavy (maybe make a clear difference for GS and make them cruise at 350)

Remove cruise drain from LFs? - Jinx - 04-17-2010

we shouldn t try to recalibrate every shipclass in the entire game.

furthermore, one should not base stats on the popularity of ships ( even if it was done in the past )

if you run the statistics, you d see that light fighters are roughly as numerous as battleships ( by numbers ) - so we shouldn t attempt to say "buff light fighters to be used by more players, cause they re unpopular".

the cruise speed as such is an "absolute" speed. - giving ships too much advantage in that department turns them to become near invincible.

right now, a light fighter that knows how to dodge can escape a lot of damage in a pure melee - when we buff up the cruise further, they can also escape from everyone. - and while it might be quite a satisfaction for a "light" fighter to kill a larger ship... one should also look at the other side.
no matter how small your weapon and armour, when you re impossible to hit ( unless you run into a nuke mine by your own mistake ) you can chew your opponents armour away in a very long and very boring dogfight.

think of it - a liberator fights a nomad voidrunner ( meaning the best public LF vs. the best LF in the entire game ) - the dogfight is supposed to be fun. - and while the keeper fighter can still fire a minirazor - he is unlikely to ever hit ( but i think he can also drop a nuke mine as it has a minedropper, too ) - but if both pilots are equally highly skilled, the fight can go on and on and on and on.... for hours.

is that fun?

light fighters might not be as popular as VHF, and thats - at least from my point of view - a blessing. fighting them is more frustrating than any other ship.

when it comes to opinions about cruise - there is no logic one way or another. - for example in star trek / star wars - the larger ships are faster than the small ships. the small ships are more agile, but whats agility when you fight weapons that travel at lightspeed or faster anyway....

for example, the kusari dragons engines take up like 10% of the ships mass ( they are those two little tubes ) - the liberty dreadnoughts engine takes up roughly 30% of the ships mass - one might think that the liberty dreadnought is faster than the dragon - but not more agile of course.

in space - the mass of a ship or its size is rather meaningless ( unless it produces its own gravity well ) - the mass only affects the acceleration, but not the top speed.