Discovery Gaming Community
Additions to the swearword filter - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Additions to the swearword filter (/showthread.php?tid=57432)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Additions to the swearword filter - Alex. - 03-27-2011

As long as it only applies to system and local outside of Connecticut, then I'm happy with it.

Edit: Also Cannon, only 1 post?:P

Additions to the swearword filter - tansytansey - 03-27-2011

' Wrote:You are right, but the auto-censoring tells you that you did something wrong.

No it doesn't, really. If you wanted to do that, you'd make any message containing the specified "bad words" not show up, and then display a message informing the player what they did wrong.

But in the end it won't stop the players who want to swear from swearing, so what will you accomplish? Saving the people who are too ignorant to read and follow a simple rule by implimenting this?

Is "<censored> you, you <censored> <censored> <censored>" really less insulting than seeing the actual thing?

Additions to the swearword filter - jxie93 - 03-27-2011

I'm good with the old system where you swear = you lose money and get sanctioned.

This also reminds me of EA's filters which include words like Jesus and God. You can never be too sure that you've covered everything.

Additions to the swearword filter - Bootsiuv - 03-27-2011

Add variations of the word "noob" as well, as these are only ever used to insult newer players.

Discouraging newer players will eventually = Death of Disco, as everyone gets bored with this game at some point and decides to move on.

Additions to the swearword filter - Camtheman - 03-27-2011

As long as it wont apply to group chats than ya its fine.

Additions to the swearword filter - ryoken - 03-27-2011

' Wrote:You are right, but the auto-censoring tells you that you did something wrong. And that might serve as a remider that you could get sanctioned. And as a consequence you might become more careful in the use of unneeded (swear)words.

You almost never get caught when swearing, but when you are, the consequences are really bad. Still people become careless because the chance to be caught is slim.

With the new system you are reminded gently more often, without draconic punishment following.

It's - from my point of view - completely positive because it helps "educating" people instead of setting a rule and enforcing it by 7 day bans and a bar of soap in prison.

' Wrote:No it doesn't, really. If you wanted to do that, you'd make any message containing the specified "bad words" not show up, and then display a message informing the player what they did wrong.

But in the end it won't stop the players who want to swear from swearing, so what will you accomplish? Saving the people who are too ignorant to read and follow a simple rule by implimenting this?

Is "<censored> you, you <censored> <censored> <censored>" really less insulting than seeing the actual thing?

Did any of you read Cannons other post on what the new bad word filter does? If not i will mention it here for you. When you swear your kicked like mod detector. After you get nabbed 5-7 times? tou get auto banned. Soooo....go ahead and swear if you want,and watch it get filtered thinking oh well. Then wonder why you can no longer play.:rtfm:

Additions to the swearword filter - Tomtomrawr - 03-27-2011

lolol u only have 1 post u no can be admin or join in with admins )))

In all seriousness, I don't like the filters. Feels like Runescape all over again to me.

Additions to the swearword filter - Decerebrated.Individual - 03-27-2011

I was wondering...

If every word spoken will be checked if it doesnt correspond to one of the hundred words in the filter,doenst that take a lot of processing power?

Additions to the swearword filter - Vladimir - 03-28-2011

Why doesn't filter allow me to say that somebody pissed somebody off i wonder. You know, it;s a bit retarded when you type a long message you would never get rerported for, hit enter, bam, nothing happens and you wasted some 5-10 seconds of your life.

It's just the example, but that filter really is retarded. People who want to swear will get around it anyway, and will be reported anyway, and for others it's just pain in the arse.

Also, sometimes i need to yell at somebody in pm to get into irc or onto some specific ship. Half of my messages don't go. What the hell.

Additions to the swearword filter - ryoken - 03-28-2011

' Wrote:Why doesn't filter allow me to say that somebody pissed somebody off i wonder. You know, it;s a bit retarded when you type a long message you would never get rerported for, hit enter, bam, nothing happens and you wasted some 5-10 seconds of your life.

It's just the example, but that filter really is retarded. People who want to swear will get around it anyway, and will be reported anyway, and for others it's just pain in the arse.

Also, sometimes i need to yell at somebody in pm to get into irc or onto some specific ship. Half of my messages don't go. What the hell.

Don't swear,and it go's fine. You want to swear? to bloody bad,live with it.