Discovery Gaming Community
I bought a smartphone - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: I bought a smartphone (/showthread.php?tid=63185)

Pages: 1 2 3

I bought a smartphone - jxie93 - 07-14-2011

Nice, Zapp and Tathrim, that answers a lot of my questions about mobile networking. I guess I'll do some research myself to find the plan that suits me. Thanks for the network stats apps, they'll be useful when I eventually get my service.

So when I'm choosing which contract, data allowance, roaming charges, coverage should be the things I'm looking to compare right? What about bandwidth and speed? (I'd imagine all 3G providers give similar speeds).

I'm currently still flicking through my phone and pressing things to see what they do, so I'll come up with more questions later. :)

I bought a smartphone - Pingu! - 07-14-2011

Friend has it, that phone is just awsome. Until you figure things (but eh, its Android, it's easy) visit android market, search for few apps that might come in handy, like file managers, music/video players, task killers (to free ram- on android, when you press menu or back button, app is still running in background), and stuff like that.

I myself own xperia x10, android phone, for about a year now, and trust me, you'll get used to your phone in a week or so.

I bought a smartphone - Zapp - 07-15-2011

So we're clear, did you buy the phone at full price without a contract? A contract should only be needed in exchange for subsidized pricing on the phone. If you bought it from a store at full retail, no contract, then you could walk into any retail phone company store to get started on service without a contract.

I bought a smartphone - Tathrim - 07-16-2011

' Wrote:Nice, Zapp and Tathrim, that answers a lot of my questions about mobile networking. I guess I'll do some research myself to find the plan that suits me. Thanks for the network stats apps, they'll be useful when I eventually get my service.

So when I'm choosing which contract, data allowance, roaming charges, coverage should be the things I'm looking to compare right? What about bandwidth and speed? (I'd imagine all 3G providers give similar speeds).

I'm currently still flicking through my phone and pressing things to see what they do, so I'll come up with more questions later. :)

Those are the things that should be considered.

There are two options here worth considering here. You could go with a rolling SIM contract, which has no commitments with a typically 30 day termination notice at no cost, which is cheap and flexible to switch between deals/providers when you spot a better one available, whci is probably the way to go if the phone is bought already. Or you COULD go going Pay as you go, though that can get expensive, fast. I'd go with the rolling contract option, it tends to be cheaper for data usage and other areas (text limits, etc).

Actual speeds depend more on coverage than the actual mask, they're all virtually identical.