Discovery Gaming Community
Guild Wars 2 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Guild Wars 2 (/showthread.php?tid=74331)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Guild Wars 2 - Corsair - 07-24-2012

tl;dr

I like what I've played so far, but I need a better computer. Even on the lowest graphics I'm chugging at 15 FPS.

Guild Wars 2 - Dubstep - 07-24-2012

From what I've seen on streams, the game looks bad. The graphics are horrible, the attack animations are horrible, the progress system is a chore. If I wanted to play a game that looked like this, I would just boot up Neverwinter Nights, although that could be just me.

They hyped this game up way too much, imo.

Guild Wars 2 - Soul Reaper - 07-25-2012

' Wrote:tl;dr

I like what I've played so far, but I need a better computer. Even on the lowest graphics I'm chugging at 15 FPS.

What do you have now?

Guild Wars 2 - Loken - 07-25-2012

' Wrote:tl;dr

I get between 20 and 40 and I have two 560ti's. The game is really badly optimised at this stage, I'm hoping they're just leaving it to last and they aren't planning on leaving it like that.

Guild Wars 2 - _FUNK - 07-25-2012

This depends on which BWE you participated in. Two of them had different builds, one was CPU-exclusive, another one was focused on the GPU. The CPU one was very low-fps for all of us (most of us). The last one seemed alright, except in very large cities and WvWvW. W3 is the nightmare for your machine as it's VERY heavy at this point. I couldn't play it all on my laptop, which runs most games fine. Had no problems in arenas and smaller areas (the most part of my PvE levelling was alright as well, having improved performance on the last couple of weekends). But in a city like LA it gets hot.

I had 20 fps in the last few betas and 40 in this one so it has improved a bit. The point is my PC should be able to run it at a smooth 60. The graphics aren't particularly special, it's just poorly optimised like most MMOs.

Guild Wars 2 - _FUNK - 07-25-2012

I wouldn't go as far as to say it's poorly optimized, it's just that during these betas we had thousands of people sitting and playing around in the same zones. That is not how the actual game will look like, since the population will slowly spread out after a few days and at one point it should become playable. The problems with low fps are mostly due to immense amounts of players or a huge amount of textures that you are loading for the first time. This should all get better shortly after release. After all, the engine of GW2 is a heavily modified GW1 engine (it has jump). And the first one was very playable by weak machines. I truly hope they do even more work on optimization, though, as things aren't even close to perfect currently.

The problem with using old engines for new graphics is that they don't work very well with them, it's just a question of how heavily modified they mean when they say heavily modified. We'll see, I hope it gets better but I'm not sure it will.

Guild Wars 2 - BaconSoda - 07-27-2012

' Wrote:Interesting arguments about the first game, but not really. Guild Wars was not a failure, as you are making it sound like. It was a VERY good game, which had a very complex PvP system. A simple example is the fact that in Guild Wars 2 there are no cross-profession combos. You seem like a smart chap - imagine how hard it is to balance that and then compare it to balancing core professions without any mixtures. Compare the sheer depths of the two games. This trait system is OK, but it's not really impressive. During the beta events I played all the professions, ran through the dungeons and whatnot, it was all in good fun. I admire what they have done with the PvE, and this is probably the aspect of the game that I will focus on. But the PvP... let's be honest - there are just about 3 maps and they are all the same. You call this accessibility, I call this a dumb-down. Accessibility is just another word that you would use to mask the facts - that guild wars 2 is a game that will attract stupider players. That minority you are talking about - those were clever guys and they knew exactly why they love the game so much (gw1). Alongside my guild we managed to reach our peak and it was #4 in the world for a while, top 20 for a longer while. The level of skill you needed to posses for such high level of play was what attracted many. I've played with organized teams and with more noobish, but still capable teams. The difference and gap in skill is IMMENSE.

Now, GW2 is very accessible, yes, but that is also one of its downsides. Now, more than ever, it has to appeal to as much people as possible. And it does. It even appeals to me, it just doesn't touch me in that special place. And you can trust me on this one - the first game was more or less a grand part of my life and I love ArenaNet. I've waited for the second game for years, since it was first announced.

Furthermore, you mentioned a couple of skills in defense of your arguments about the complexity of Guild Wars 2. While you are more or less right in terms of the classification of skills, GW2 does not offer such freedom for creating your own, even unique build. You have a locked set of skills which change as you swap weapons. Initially I loved this, but now it's just boring. I played the ranger with all the possible combinations and the complexity here comes off skill combos, which are not nearly as satisfying as making a random cross-profession combo and then coming up with a build that actually works well and that is going to be unexpected by others for a while.

The treat system right now appears to be interesting, but in reality battles are very fast. With my thief, during this last weekend, I just picked a gimmicky build and I could down other players in 2-3 seconds. So what I am trying to say here, is that GW2 is much more of a shooter-like game than a COORPG, like the first one was. The beauty of Prophecies came with the requirement of incredible team work, synchronization and cooperation. Now it's much more zerg than tactics.

I spent a good time defending GW2's mechanics in our community, as the older players didn't really like it that much (part of their reasoning has been mentioned here). I still have hopes that they will introduce interesting PvP, but as it is now - there is no real GvG. And this is Guild Wars. It's about wars between guilds. A 5 player vs 5 player capture and hold map has nothing to do with war. It's nothing more than the Dominion mode of LoL.

Though I have to admit the PvE is great. I had so much fun in the Ascalonian Catacombs, I felt that the teamwork of the first game was somehow converted into the PvE aspect of GW2.

edit: Also, I don't want to appear as some enraged Gw2 hater, I still like the game very much. But they must figure out a way to introduce real PvP. Their decision to break out of the holy trinity pattern was brave, but it also means that without a dedicated healing class the battles will just end very quickly and often it will be down to just a few seconds. Currently the skills are MUCH more alike in between different professions. Everyone has dodge, everyone has some kind of pushback/teleport skill. It's a lot more uniform than before.

Just because an idea is overly convoluted and complex does not mean it's cool. But I know, I'm just not smart enough, or clever, I guess. Forget the parts where the game was literally impossible to balance and making a unique profession and a viable profession were two mutually exclusive things.

You said this wasn't the game they wanted to make. That couldn't be farther from the truth. If you read old Guild Wars interviews, all you have to do is add a 2 to the end of the game's name and they're the same interviews. This is the game they always wanted to make. It caters to no one. If it's a good game, it'll be successful on its own merits.

Guild Wars 2 - Blackvertigo1 - 07-27-2012

@OP:

Only I have energy weapon technologies.