Discovery Gaming Community
Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Capital Ship Purchase Proposal (/showthread.php?tid=7633)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - I_m_rdy - 04-09-2008

We're humans, indeed. We're not perfect and never will be. So are the works of humans. Like my proposal. Gezza asked me a short while ago if faction leaders have an option if the requirements are fulfilled or not. My answer was a simple no. Faction leaders must grant them the license if the requirements are fulfilled. If it hasn't been done even if the requirements are fulfilled should be reported. But no, the whole idea won't get implemented. If faction leaders have an option, then that would be definitely elitist.

EDIT: I'm glad this thread didn't end up in a flame fest after 2 full pages...

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - Titan - 04-09-2008

But what would be the requirements? How can one make a reasonable requirement for this? Not everyone can make a good RP story and yet they can RP amazingly in game. And again some make great stories and don't even RP in game. So what could be a requirement for something like this? If the faction leaders had no choice but to accept them its fine. But again as I said, how would you choose what the requirement is? It is again forcing people to do something that they perhaps cannot do without guidance or help. Restrictions are bad. Counseling and helping people is good.

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - Equinox - 04-09-2008

I like this idea.

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - Jinx - 04-09-2008

since its yet another one of "those" threads - how about you ask igiss what he thinks about such a limitation first. - personally, i am currently very concerned about the rheinland RP. ( removing a battleship from ANY player but dedicated [RM] players is stepping over the line of whats RP and whats not acceptable anymore. - its based on RP, but imo, too much authority from a player over other players.

what you suggest now, i_am_ready could work; - if there were strict rules for purchasing. if it was clear what you have to do to get one. - and it would mean that each one ( not only indies ) had to play by those rules.

and by rules, i don t mean "post a story" - nothing vague like that, but it should more be a form to fill out. ( more like a multiple choice form ) - and when someone fulfils that, no one should ever ever ever yell at this person or complain ever again. - do you all think you can do that? - if such a restriction was considered ... would you all consider EVERYONE that passed through this as a rightful and just owner of such a ship?

i doubt it - so untill the general attitute changes, those ideas are nice to play around with, but impractical. ( all the rest about players governing over players was said in the other countless threads about that topic allready )

I think the requirements shouldn't exceed 3000-4000 cargo units of all commodities. The commodities should be hull panels, engine components, (MOX fuel), optronics... Did I miss anything? Anyway, it should look like that. Perhaps a bit harder, or easier.

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - Titan - 04-09-2008

I agree with Jinx, such thing for now is impossible, also that sort of requirement would be nice but again, we'd never trust such a person as much as we trust someone in an official faction, its just the general attitude. But yeah, so far I agree with everything that Jinx said, you summed it up nicely.

It'll take a while until the common sense changes its mind on that. But the idea has been posted, doing the RP for it is sure big fun. That's something I aimed for. Hours of trading the same route is no fun. Getting the resources from different locations with a bit of change is a good mix for a capital ship purchase IMO.
Something seen like in a many games. Get some stuff together, combine it and get something better (Like forging enhancing stones into swords in RPGs).

yeah, the current RP of RM disturbs this a bit, but they'd have to grant the players who have filled all requirements the license, no exceptions.

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - Unseelie - 04-09-2008

Many of the official factions already dictate who can and cannot have their battleships. I rp that commodore windsor is the admiralty's liason, and the admiralty talks to the queen. Through this, I can claim that anyone else making such claims is an imposter, or claim that any battleship has been stolen. I can back it up with the QCRF. The RM, KNF, SA, and 101st each have a version of this mechanism, so any arguments against elitism is already moot.

The proposal does not make sense to me....it regresses from a currency economy to a barter economy....If they can buy a BS, they've already hauled a lot of cargo, presumably enough to pay for the cost of producing a battleship...
I understand if someone wants to, but requiring it makes no sense to me...and that sort of rp quest doesn't make sense for the reasonably common commodities available in freelancer.

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - Reverend Del - 04-09-2008

In principle, provided that you could not deny someone who had garnered these resources the right to buy, then this idea would work, but how would it be implemented? Each council, because there is no way this could ever be trusted to any one person, would need a thread for screenshot proof, then they'd have to get online to transfer the battleship licence across, it would have to be an instantaneous thing, you couldn't leave someone hanging for a week waiting for their licence to come through, that wouldn't be fair. But if you cannot refuse it, and logically to prevent political nonsense you wouldn't be able to, why not keep it as it is? The power trader trades up to 700 million, takes one hour to round up the resources, apply for licence, buy battleship get licence go do what they'd have been doing anyway, one hour before. It doesn't actually do anything.

Secondly to anyone that suggests Gaurd systems, what's to stop those factions restricting access to people they don't like, thusly preventing those people the chance to buy a ship they choose to fly?

The only suggestion I've really liked for Capships, is one Bulldog suggested on TS a while ago, ramp up the prices something stupid, I'm talking into the billions here, sure it doesn't stop the power traders trading up to 2 billion credits but it sure makes em take longer.

Titan, whilst I would love to have people learning to RP alot of these people do not wish to until after they've bought the giant doom machine, even then most don't wish to and it's hard to teach someone who can smash you into the floor, why he should perhaps think about downgrading to something a little more in keeping with the server. Joining a faction is probably the best way to learn, but most factions don't let you fly a capship until you've worked for it, and I wouldn't suggest forcing everyone into a faction.

Capital Ship Purchase Proposal - pchwang - 04-09-2008

When the server had 50 slots and had around 30-40 players online most of the time...no one complained about "capwhoring."

If fact, as many people who are still here from back then can attest, the term pretty much was non-existant.

The problem today is not acquiring "resources," elitism, and other factors...it's - as someone brought up before - the lack of RP from these independent capitalships, combined with a lack of forum participation.

The problem is not the number of capships. The problem is stemming from the lack of understanding between the people who have them, and the people who RP and participate on the forums.

When the server was so small, 95% of the people online, you knew. I could point at chars on the list and go: "Oh, that's Dab, there's OsoRojo, oh, and lookie, QV's online today!"

They could all be flying capital ships into a battle, and no one would have an issue. Why? Mutual trust and respect. We all knew each other and knew that the other would respect our RPing. Today, a random capital ship can just appear, and we would all be like, "HOLY %$&*#! It's attacking us for no reason!"

Then, we hear, "I kil u b/c u r zno."

No trust, no RP, and most definitely no mutual respect. That is why capitalships, with their immense power, are beginning to become a problem on this server.

THAT, ladies, gents, lads, and lasses, is the REAL problem.