Discovery Gaming Community
Traders destroying their cargo when pirated - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Traders destroying their cargo when pirated (/showthread.php?tid=77744)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Traders destroying their cargo when pirated - Tachyon - 04-08-2012

' Wrote:I see but it's perfectly valid RP for some hillbilly pirate to put his own life at risk for some parts he could have paid a smuggler to haul. Fascinating

Yes, that is totally valid. Also, some pirates may not have the credits or connections to pay or get a smuggler.

Traders destroying their cargo when pirated - Adam_Spire - 04-08-2012

go for short and sweet. Stop taking cargo, start asking for 2-3 million.

You stay in one place, you dont have to worry about them destroying -THEIR- cargo, and its quick. The trader still makes Money and now so do you. A compromise. You get greedy, and all you'll get is 3 hours of pewing empty transports with your "grieving" pirates. Cry me a river.

It doesn't hurt to be specific. Saying,

/1 I want you to give me 3 million or my friends and I will open fire on you.

You just told me who to give it to, what the consequences of not giving it are.

And you're pirates not diplomats.
Stop and hold the transport if you want straight $$$
Give engagement notices and blow the trade ship to hell to take their cargo.
I'm not a pirate and even I know thats the best way to do it.

You try to combine the two, then even I would destroy my cargo just to tick you off.
Tranports know the risks, take different routes, avoid the hassle, takes your chances.
And oddly enough, sometimes transports need to get blow away, just dont be a "grieving" pirate when a fleet comes after you.

I can't believe this is still and issue.

Traders destroying their cargo when pirated - Ursus - 04-08-2012

Well if pirates are too stupid to fear for their life then traders are too

' Wrote:Well if pirates are too stupid to fear for their life then traders are too

It's not like pirates are too stupid, sometimes, they just don't see, or have (any more), an alternative other than to do so.

Traders, which are usually employed by companies, which usually employ intelligent people, are, in contrast, able to live a life with many opportunities in life without putting their live in danger (except for the fact, that space is dangerous by default).

So, no, don't blame stupidity.

Traders destroying their cargo when pirated - Madvillain - 04-08-2012

' Wrote:Well if pirates are too stupid to fear for their life then traders are too
Pirate
[Image: 060706modernpirates_big.jpg]

Trader
[Image: become-certified-first-mate-800x800.jpg]

There's a difference.....

I dont blame stupidity I'm mocking your double standard

Traders destroying their cargo when pirated - Stefan - 04-08-2012

The few times I went pirating for cargo I rp'd explicitly I wanted their cargo not that they dropped their cargo.

Two very different demands. On the first, if the trader destroys the cargo, blow him up. On the second, thank him for being intelligent and wave him off.

And with all due respect, depending on the situation it makes much more sense to demand the cargo instead of credits. Or do you really expect a liberty rogue to go into Manhattan and ask "Hey, would you be so kind to take this money and go buy me some groceries?"

C'mon. If you need an example, my LR Pirate Transport ran into a trader exporting Kyushu Rice a few days back. What did I do?

Quote:Me: Hey hey hey!
Trader: Hey
Me: Whatcha carrying there? Rice?
Trader: Yeah
Me: Sounds delicious! Mind giving me some?
Trader: Sure
Me: Like, I don't know, half of your cargo?
Trader: What?
Me: You're carrying 5000 units. Throw me 2500 and I'll let you pass.
TRader: Now why would someone need that much rice
Me: Oh, I don't know, Food is scarce this days fella.
Trader: 2500 you say
Trader: Alright
Me: Thanks bud, many will feed from this, heh!
See what I did there? Politely asked for cargo, justified my need for it and gave him the clear objective of my actions: To take the rice. If he even though about destroying the cargo he had to consider getting destroyed afterwards.

Being straight honest here: I play with a Zoner. My docking limits are restricted. If you make me drop my cargo I know how boring it will be to retrace all the way back to the starting line. And I'll still be one to defend cargo piracy - it makes hell of more sense than demand creds.

You -did- blame stupidity. Or at least didn't make your point clear enough.

' Wrote:Or do you really expect a liberty rogue to go into Manhattan and ask "Hey, would you be so kind to take this money and go buy me some groceries?"
Isn't the [U] trying to make an under-the-table deal with ALG right now? OH NO BAD RP BAD

' Wrote:You -did- blame stupidity. Or at least didn't make your point clear enough.
And you said traders should be afraid of death but said nothing about the pirates who risk just as much. Honestly at this point I expect you have it worked out in your head that military grunts should be afraid to confront pirates because they dont want to die either.