Discovery Gaming Community
Focus of Mod Development - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Focus of Mod Development (/showthread.php?tid=83317)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Focus of Mod Development - Durandal - 07-11-2012

' Wrote:Back when i was faction lead at Gateway a Dev team member asked me " What would you like to see change for the storyline and mod for Gateway? "
I gave it some thought and discussed this in our skype channel with the other members and then replied.
The thoughts we returned where, in our eyes, not big but i dread to think of the work even a small faction like Gateway can stir up for the Dev team.

Now think about everyones mod changes, especially the big factions, and the amount of work, even in theory, the dev team and storyline team have to do!!

I have nothing but great admiration for Friday and his team in this task as, for sure, they wont be able to make everyone happy.

The Official Faction Leader Chat is just one small step in the teams efforts and should be applauded.

This wouldn't actually be a problem if each faction did their own dev work, as the [HF] did and the SCRA| do, and the devteam took on more of an unaffiliated modding stance (ie, civ ships, new house systems, etc), as well as testing faction submitted work.

Focus of Mod Development - Dab - 07-11-2012

' Wrote:This wouldn't actually be a problem if each faction did their own dev work, as the [HF] did and the SCRA| do, and the devteam took on more of an unaffiliated modding stance (ie, civ ships, new house systems, etc), as well as testing faction submitted work.
HF and SCRA have never done their own devwork. They made requests and submitted models for shiplines. The dev team had to sign off on every change, and had to place limits and had to make some changes to those requests because they are always too open and unregulated when we get them. Discovery will NEVER have a situation where factions control their lore while the dev team only does civilian and unaffiliated work. While this isn't true for every leader or every faction, on average, most factions do not give themselves consequences for their actions. They see things through tunnel vision, and only pay attention to what they are going to get out of something, and never look at the negative effects of their actions. A dev team is necessary to keep factions from getting out of control.

Focus of Mod Development - Blackvertigo1 - 07-11-2012

' Wrote:everyone is biased and it is np.

I am not biased.

Focus of Mod Development - ssc - 07-11-2012

I, myself, have been writting a story, similar to Freelancer storyline, but on a completely different scale. Its only to chapter 3 and I havent completed the chapter and no, not on freelancer, its a mix of Sci Fi games and movies. From what I am understanding from the events ingame or from what I can tell, LSF and Liberty Navy are slowly being manipulated by Nomads and slowly gaining ground in Liberty Space(Which seems more like a comic book story, rather than a actaul ingame storyline). Bretonia and Kusari are the same, fighting the GRN at every turn near their borders and in their space. Rhienland basically became a Gallia, isolated from being on the borders of Kusari and Liberty, which both consider Rhienland a threat, and rarely leaves Rhienland(Player Wise). Technically, if something were to change the story of Discovery Freelancer, there only a few choices:
  1. Religous Extremists that have been watching from the shadows, waiting to strike.
  2. A alien race emerges from the outter rim of Sirius(Rhienland or Bretonia possibly, most likely Rhienland.).
  3. 2-3 powerfull new factions rage war leaving the House Governments in the crossfire.
  4. One of smaller Faction(s) gains shipyards and constructs warships and colonies. Or
  5. One of the House Governments suffers some tragic event that changes the course of the Sirius Timeline.
Those are the options I see that might add more to the story, even though they may have been done before. Theres a saying on one of my favorite drinks,
Quote:If your gonna be original, you can count on being copied
Very little can be done to change a storyline, and that "little" change would have to be a event large enough to make that alteration.

Focus of Mod Development - Lohingren - 07-12-2012

cant we all just get along *hugz*

I am of the opinion that factions should be allowed to develope their lore to a certain degree, though complete freedom is an entirely impossible demand. To many variables come into play and like peopl have said Humans are a very bias creature tunnel vision kicks in and most do tend to be blinded by personal want or what they feel as 'need'.

However and this is a big however and i am going to be called bias here but, 1 man should not lead Story, infact there shouldnt be such a thing as a Dev lead of ANY team. Because what their job is and what they think their job is are two entirely different things. Countless times in Dev history has 60-70% of devs said they want a change and that 1 leader says no due to personal prefferance. in such a situation said Leader should be over ruled but it is never case.

Balance being the prime example of this.

and well, Friday dont consider you all the community, and that the majorty of forum demands/wants are not valid due to our voices not being the majority of this community even though we as a whole are the only voice this community has. Thus it is evident his own wants and beliefs still come first to others.

This is not a dig at Friday but a dig at Humanity as a whole no one man should be given final word in any matter due to our very nature as People.

Focus of Mod Development - Silver - 07-12-2012

' Wrote:cant we all just get along *hugz*

Win.

' Wrote:Balance being the prime example of this.

What balance?

Focus of Mod Development - ssc - 07-12-2012

Lohingren, I do support that player factions should be able to to make somewhat of a story. However, any faction mentioned in the story would have to be contacted and then discuss how the story would go wihout over-lapping aspects of another. If this does occure, then the faction(s) would have to recreate it in such a way that could explain the sudden change. And not many people like discussing about these types of subjects.

Focus of Mod Development - Durandal - 07-12-2012

' Wrote:HF and SCRA have never done their own devwork. They made requests and submitted models for shiplines.

Oh, okay. You sure you want to play that card? Because I guess I never modeled the HF VHF and Gunboat, and modeled and textured the Arbiter. Ah but wait, modeling and texturing isn't devwork by your logic.

Oh and Denelo never submitted the .ini market and weapon_equip ini entries for the guns.

Oh, and Ryan didn't make the Hellfire Legion NPC faction, completely overhaul Vespucci to belong to the HF, including fixing patrol loadouts and renaming all of the system's infocards (Save for the rumors which we lacked time to finish).

I guess on that note Mara didn't write the infocards for any of our stuff.

I didn't make the capgun effects that I submitted and were denied by Cannon because somebody on the devteam messed something up after my thorough testing.

' Wrote:The dev team had to sign off on every change

No, the dev team chose to sign off on every change.

' Wrote:and had to place limits and had to make some changes to those requests because they are always too open and unregulated when we get them.

Never happened with the [HF] though I can't speak for any other factions that have tried, other than myself accidentally making a 700 m/s plasma gun because oh, I don't know, the 6 key is right next to 7.

' Wrote:Discovery will NEVER have a situation where factions control their lore while the dev team only does civilian and unaffiliated work.

I know. I also know it makes things harder for everyone.

' Wrote:While this isn't true for every leader or every faction, on average, most factions do not give themselves consequences for their actions. They see things through tunnel vision, and only pay attention to what they are going to get out of something, and never look at the negative effects of their actions. A dev team is necessary to keep factions from getting out of control.

I entirely agree with you on this point, except that I believe it should be up to faction leaders of the factions affected by proposed changes to decide what's going to screw the game over for another guy too badly or not, rather than somebody who half the time doesn't even play as or have any knowledge of the proposing or affected factions.

Focus of Mod Development - Echo 7-7 - 07-12-2012

' Wrote:HF... have never done their own devwork...

Whoops!

Focus of Mod Development - Lohingren - 07-12-2012

I would just like to get this out there, RoS done ALL of its own Dev work. I would personally like to think i done it in a fair manner but i am also a Human like i spoke of in my previous post. So if anyone believes i went to far or done it wrongly please feel free to tell me and i will do my best to remedy such changes with everyones input.

I dont think its right factions like HF, SCRA, CR get brought up in these descussions all the time and we get scat free with everything we do.