Discovery Gaming Community
"Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys (/showthread.php?tid=102074)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - Aphil - 07-18-2013

But it's true, we are evil. The point I'm trying to make is that playing the bad guys is actually really fun. People need to try it out more often. Yes, everyone hates you but that's why I loved flying as a Xeno and that's why I love flying on my SCRA. Against all odds, we still fight on.

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - Rodent - 07-18-2013

I enjoyed playing the bad guy as Ansel Xavier. He remains one of my favorite RP creations. For a small while, he was playing his part well as a GRN leader and being amoral and unconcerned. I'd recommend a dark shaded character to everyone, it's a nice variation from the usual.

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - DarthBindo - 07-19-2013

(07-18-2013, 11:22 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: the Mollys are your standard drunken IRA parody,
Molly's are actually based on the Molly Maguires of Pennsylvania. If you've ever read the The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, that book is loosely based on a very, very pro-Pinkerton view of the incidents surrounding the Mollys.

(07-18-2013, 11:51 AM)Space Eater Wrote: Third: It's cute that Treewyrm, of all people, would talk about Mary Sues.
Cute?
It's freaking adorable.

(07-18-2013, 08:23 PM)Aphil Wrote: I admit, I skipped through the thread but I can safely say that the SCRA is evil and everyone in it is evil and we're all evil bastards pretending to be good while secretly wanting complete domination and the subjugation and destruction of everyone we consider inferior. Smile
God, I still remember that thread from the last Coalition-Corsair flareup, wherein we had to disabuse Dane of his rose-tinted glasses.

anyways, characters should never do things beacuse of the alignment.
Motive is everything.

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - Hone - 07-19-2013

(07-19-2013, 03:24 AM)DarthBindo Wrote:
(07-18-2013, 11:22 AM)Kazinsal Wrote: the Mollys are your standard drunken IRA parody,
Molly's are actually based on the Molly Maguires of Pennsylvania. If you've ever read the The Valley of Fear by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, that book is loosely based on a very, very pro-Pinkerton view of the incidents surrounding the Mollys.

Whilst Id say itd be foolish to dismiss their influence, Id say itd be equally foolish to think they wern't also based on the IRA. Theyr pretty much a mash up of anything Irish and fighty really.

And I have to say, I dont really understand this thread, is it saying that bad guys arnt admitting they're bad? Do you really expect people to not to try to justify themselves? The entire setting of freelancer is based on both sides always having good and bad things about them, and their own causes and justifications and propganda and bla...

Besides whats that got to do with mary sues?

TLDR: I like playing evil characters though they may pretend they're not evil, whats this thread about?

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - DarthBindo - 07-19-2013

(07-19-2013, 03:42 AM)Hone Wrote:

Whilst Id say itd be foolish to dismiss their influence, Id say itd be equally foolish to think they wern't also based on the IRA. Theyr pretty much a mash up of anything Irish and fighty really.
Whilst certainly player actions and roleplay are heavily influenced by the IRA, the base lore from vanilla is ripped almost straight from Maguire history. Any influence there i would claim as merely incidental to the similiarities between the Maguires and the IRA.

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - Hone - 07-19-2013

(07-19-2013, 04:28 AM)DarthBindo Wrote:

Whilst certainly player actions and roleplay are heavily influenced by the IRA, the base lore from vanilla is ripped almost straight from Maguire history. Any influence there i would claim as merely incidental to the similiarities between the Maguires and the IRA.

How about the fact that they're in dublin, fighting the british forces?

(07-19-2013, 05:07 AM)Hone Wrote:
(07-19-2013, 04:28 AM)DarthBindo Wrote:

How about the fact that they're in dublin, fighting the british forces?
ssssh stop poking holes in my theories,l you dirty hole-poker

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - Pavel - 07-19-2013

This isn't about faction X or Z, it's about phenomenon I noticed.

While I perhaps oversized it when stated 80% of players are affected, it indeed isn't a small problem, although it may be more about simplicity of players' characters in general, than about usual good vs. evil game, as Treewyrm pointed out.

@ Hone

What's the point of that thread? To learn other people's opinions, learn what do they think about presented issue, to discuss it. That's why we have forums, to discuss things Wink

RE: "Mary Sue" character stigma - problems with RPing bad guys - Remilia Scarlet - 07-19-2013

ye,

as I said before - poor character development that is. Most can't pop out something that is not some overused cliche on the fly.

(07-19-2013, 01:14 PM)Pavel Wrote: This isn't about faction X or Z, it's about phenomenon I noticed.

While I perhaps oversized it when stated 80% of players are affected, it indeed isn't a small problem, although it may be more about simplicity of players' characters in general, than about usual good vs. evil game, as Treewyrm pointed out.

@ Hone

What's the point of that thread? To learn other people's opinions, learn what do they think about presented issue, to discuss it. That's why we have forums, to discuss things Wink

Like I said, I dont know what phenomenon you mean, or what the presented issue is.

(07-19-2013, 03:42 AM)Hone Wrote: And I have to say, I dont really understand this thread, is it saying that bad guys arnt admitting they're bad?