Discovery Gaming Community
What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread (/showthread.php?tid=10594)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Dab - 07-24-2008

Start with This
Then this.
Video

That should help.. The video I know of is an hour long, so it was a bit better, but I can't find it on the internet anywhere.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Dab - 07-24-2008

' Wrote:superluminal does mean faster than light, but tradelanes dont move you that fast.

K is for kilometers. In a tradelane you travel at 1000 meters per second, while lightspeed is something like 836,000 meters per second.
Lightspeed is not a figure of time, but a distance. You can't say 'meters per second' when describing a light year, you can only describe it as a distance.

There are 9.454 x 10(15), or 9,454,000,000,000,000, meters in a light year.
A trade lane moves you at 1,200 meters per second.
1,200 x 31,556,926 = 37,868,311,200 meters per year.
9.454 x 10(15) / 3.79 x 10(10) = 249,445.9
Thats how many times faster light travels than you do in the trade lane.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - jammi - 07-24-2008

Tenacity, check the infocard on a tradelane! It says eet! I'll pull an image up... Hum, one sec. And have no science to back me up, just the delusions of the FL producers:POh! And if the trade lanes do move stuff as faster than light speed, how fast would that be? Because then you could compare the units of distance to the speed traveled compared to a trade lane and roughly work out what the unit was. Although I'm confusing myself nopw. Kilometers is too small to me.

I work in miles, and I know a mile is bigger than a kilometer, the infocard on Newgate says it's thousands of miles from anything, when it's only 50K or so. The 'm' is probably miles (USA works in miles dosn't it? I don't know, I live in England) seeing as in 50K there is 50,000 'm's which would reflect on the infocard well. So what is the 'K'? Klicks? What?

I'll edit the TL info card in.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Colonel Z.e.r.o. - 07-25-2008

' Wrote:superluminal does mean faster than light, but tradelanes dont move you that fast.

K is for kilometers. In a tradelane you travel at 1000 meters per second, while lightspeed is something like 836,000 meters per second.

299,792,458 meters per second is the precise speed of light in a vaccum. According to Wiki. [Image: 768.gif]

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - AdamantineFist - 07-25-2008

' Wrote:Lightspeed is not a figure of time, but a distance. You can't say 'meters per second' when describing a light year, you can only describe it as a distance.
Lightspeed. That's speed. v=d/t. Simple. It's not just time or distance, but a relationship between the two. Lightyears, on the other hand, are a description of distance.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - AdamantineFist - 07-25-2008

' Wrote:K is for kilometers. In a tradelane you travel at 1000 meters per second, while lightspeed is something like 836,000 meters per second.
Is it ever explicitly stated that K=kilometres, though? I don't recall anything stating what a "K" was. It could mean anything.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Praetyre - 07-25-2008

If you take in-game scaling literally, fighters are the size of Corellian Corvettes and battleships are tiny compared to them, while planets are a few dozen kilometres across and thus, Sirius people are microscopic and capable of morphing or placing massive blow-up dolls in cockpits, and stars are a few times the size of planets. If you take other in-game things literally, everyone in Sirius speaks English, most people have American accents, inflation is ridiculous, the economy is fixed and the Houses know where Malta is or are amnesiac.

My view on jumpgates is that they act as large supercolliders, producing a localized wormhole effect allowing controlled (perhaps magnetically, or perhaps we should take it as DK technology as the old document stated) faster than light travel. Since I might not be publishing the third chapter of TMWNN due to lack of feedback, I'll say that in that one I have a character sending out a "beam" of information which is bounced at near-C from station to station until reaching it's destination with a simple code to activate a localized wormhole through which FTL communications can be established.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - worldstrider - 07-25-2008

I laugh when scientists based on theories of things they can't test say something is "impossible". They have been proven wrong over and over again.

Britain's minister of science at the turn of the last century (thereabouts anyway) said "spaceflight was impossible". Reason why? The physicists of the day had calculated how much fuel would be needed to reach the moon and established that the engine and fuels tanks alone would have to be so large that you could never carry enough fuel to get the ship free of earth's gravitational pull.

Based on some of Goddard's pioneering, Werner Von Braun came along and said, "Then let's break the spaceship into pieces and drop off the empty fuel tanks as we go." Relayy simple idea--took almost a century for anyone to think opf it.

Ironically, Jule's Verne's story From Earth to the Moon was what polarized public interest into space flight and it was dissecting his device of firing an artillery shell spaceship to the moon that was the basis for the royal academy's proclamation.

Sceince fiction writers have consistently theorized things long before scientests could accept they would be possible--ever.

The primary scientific rejection of man ever finding a possible way to exceed light speed travel is that causality would violated in this universe and then you get into mutiple universe theory and it is just scientifically not 'politically correct" at the moment.

So time travel as stated by mainstream scientists is at present "impossible"...until someone comes along and thinks of how to break the spaceship into pieces.

To accomplish ftl travel, one will also be accomplishing time travel and that's why its such a hotly attacked subject in the scientific community.

I look at the history of science fiction and how often it has hit the nail on the head far before science and when I think of that and "impossible", I am always reminded of a statement written by pre-iron age Hebrews thousands of years ago:

Genisis 11:6b
Quote:And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be impossible for them.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Tenacity - 07-25-2008

Quote:Is it ever explicitly stated that K=kilometres, though? I don't recall anything stating what a "K" was. It could mean anything.

It's an assumption.

When something is more than 2000m away in freelancer, it's displayed as something like 2.4k, or 9k

When something is less than 2000m away, it's displayed as 1500m, 1200m, 500m, etc. That would suggest a meters and kilometers measurement system.

Also, weapon projectile speeds are listed as Xm/s - for example 1000 m/s - which would stand for meters-per-second.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - worldstrider - 07-25-2008

There is a mod that has "real sized stars and planets--a proof of concept with a few systems. It's obscenely large.

If we moved at "real" size with "real" speeds we could set course, then leave and have lunch, begin and finish our doctoral thesis, graduate and retire...then come back and dock.

Not much fun.