Discovery Gaming Community
Wiki - Feedback Thread - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Wiki - Feedback Thread (/showthread.php?tid=10912)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Wiki - Feedback Thread - looqas - 08-06-2008

I made changes to Editing Guide in Wiki starting page to start getting ball rolling about agreeing on some basic rules.

Wiki - Feedback Thread - MarvinCZ - 08-06-2008

Oooh, I missed this page. Kudos to everyone involved. I'll try to remember issues raised here as I go along...
  • New_York_Planet and New_York_System could both be linked to New_York by someone. I wouldn't use a redirect but a disambiguation on such places. From time to time we should go through the disambiguations and redirects and check "What links here" to correct the wrong links. List of redirects is in the Special pages. List of disambiguations too, but they need to use some template.

• Guides. Sure. Technical details of wiki editing can be found on Wikipaedia, I like WP:HTEAP most. At least a link to them should be here. Style guidelines would be fine, I will gladly contribute...

• Ship infobox. Beautiful.

• Personal opinions on Ships and the like. Rather not. Hyung is absolutely right.

• Finding linkable words. I think ordinary Wikipedia uses bots or manual work for that. I have no idea how to make a bot for Wiki.
I will write about more issues if I find them:)Right now I need to move on other matters. Sorry that I haven't written much new.

Wiki - Feedback Thread - chovynz - 08-06-2008

I prefer not to use disambiguation pages if at all possible (and hence why the
distinguishing between Planet New London, and New London System.)

I feel that disambiguation pages break the information trail somewhat, but
that's just a little personal issue I have with them, and wont stop me from
using them if I have to. I haven't really seen any need to as yet (yes I
know some people have already made some, but I feel they really dont
need to be there for what the disambig pages contribute.)

I'd also like to clarify something. The pages that we see have the underscores
in the HTML and address bar e.g. "Planet_New_York" but they display as "Planet New York" on the actual pages.

Wiki - Feedback Thread - MarvinCZ - 08-06-2008

I don't mean that we should link to that disambiguations. But the page "New London" seems like a fine disambiguation candidate to me. But links to it should be corrected to the right variant.

Mmm...I see what you mean now.
Its a fair thought too.
Good thinking.

Wiki - Feedback Thread - looqas - 08-06-2008

Rick the Prick is at it again. Removing content. Igiss should ban his sorry ass.

Wiki - Feedback Thread - Klaw117 - 08-06-2008

I fixed what Rick the Prick (kinda catchy) did to the Ship Equipment page. Thank God he didn't mess with my weapons pages. If he did, I'd have to redo EVERYTHING, which took quite a while. I've backed up the Ship Equipment and the various weapons pages in Notepad in case he does it again.

Igiss, please ban Rick19011

Be aware that you can "Revert" any changes done from the history part of
any page. So you don't need to retype things, just roll back Ricks deletions.

Effectively Roll Rick instead of getting Rick-rolled.

Wiki - Feedback Thread - Blodo - 08-06-2008

Indeed. I restored the fighters and bombers pages that he defiled earlier today. Took me 4 clicks in total, probably less than it took him to delete it. Just pay a keen eye to his account, and he won't do any damage at all.

Wiki - Feedback Thread - chovynz - 08-07-2008

After having just clicked through the wiki and browsed around a bit, I have a very strong urge to just change the "New York" back to "New York System". I was in those system pages and I didn't know if I was at "Planet New London" or "New London System" until I read down a bit. I will refrain myself from changing them until at least a week and give people enough time to give their opinions. If no one else responds then I will change the system titles, yet again, and settle for the style of "New London System". Sorry about the mess and confusion regarding this, but as I mentioned on the forums, I've had little direction other than "Do what you will." So this is my decision - to put "System" at the end of those particular title pages - but I'll allow and expect other people to have their say as well.

I've posted here so that people can give their opinion here or on the Wiki, and so that people are aware of whats going on, and where.

http://discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php/Help...ing_Conventions

By the way....Blodo! You rock! I lurve your smexy ship infoboxes. They is great!