Discovery Gaming Community
Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Cultural minorities in the Sirius (/showthread.php?tid=119450)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Vredes - 08-21-2014

(08-21-2014, 05:12 PM)VinitS Wrote: Yes..We can have GMG as group of people from Different Ethnicity...got to Sirius in Kusari Ship....

IMG...with their Indian named Ships..Singapore Station....may Represent South East Asia.....

Names are just names. If you are looking for preserved minorities, you should start looking at the coalition. I think most of the minorities there have survived. Arabs, eastern europeans, russians and all of your beloved china men.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - farmerman - 08-22-2014

I always thought that there would be some resurrected past cultures in Sirius. For instance, with a need for lots of names for a new planet, there would be a lot named after old places of origin, after people, or after places said people had some affinity towards. After all, that's happened in the modern world, to say nothing of the systems and stations with direct references. After a period of identifying with places, at least some subnational groups with shared ancestral relations (both between themselves and to their landscape) may decide to identify that way instead, i.e. Bretonians would likely be quite mixed but after enough time, the residents around the Swansea (landscape feature) may also identify with their ancient Welsh ancestry, especially if they feel isolated from Bretonia as a whole. Maybe they will try to reintroduce the Welsh language? Who knows, but after enough centuries of possibility, there is certainly plenty of chances for such.

But most likely is that the various factions that are isolated from their main house's culture would develop their own cultural identities, especially longer lived factions like the Dragons (as opposed to very young ones like the LWB).

Sorry for being overly rambling here, need more coffee still.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Zen_Mechanics - 08-22-2014

(08-22-2014, 01:11 PM)Ktayn Wrote: I always thought that there would be some resurrected past cultures in Sirius. For instance, with a need for lots of names for a new planet, there would be a lot named after old places of origin, after people, or after places said people had some affinity towards. After all, that's happened in the modern world, to say nothing of the systems and stations with direct references. After a period of identifying with places, at least some subnational groups with shared ancestral relations (both between themselves and to their landscape) may decide to identify that way instead, i.e. Bretonians would likely be quite mixed but after enough time, the residents around the Swansea (landscape feature) may also identify with their ancient Welsh ancestry, especially if they feel isolated from Bretonia as a whole. Maybe they will try to reintroduce the Welsh language? Who knows, but after enough centuries of possibility, there is certainly plenty of chances for such.

But most likely is that the various factions that are isolated from their main house's culture would develop their own cultural identities, especially longer lived factions like the Dragons (as opposed to very young ones like the LWB).

Sorry for being overly rambling here, need more coffee still.

Planet Tbilisi ( omega -52 > coalition ) - is a georgian city - infact I was born there. There are lots of planets with different names and meanings.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - /// Drake /// - 08-22-2014

I don't think we should forget that the names of places in the Freelancer universe are named by us in the present day. The argument "why are IMG ships given Indian names" or why different areas are given names from different regions are irrelevant. They were most likely just given so we, as inhabitants of Earth, would easily know where things are.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Thyrzul - 08-22-2014

What's the point of knowing where those things are inRL? And I admit without Google I would have no clue what Nanda Devi or Annapurna are. This game sure didn't tell me more about them that they are IMG ships.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - VinitS - 08-22-2014

(08-22-2014, 05:49 PM)Thyrzul Wrote: What's the point of knowing where those things are inRL? And I admit without Google I would have no clue what Nanda Devi or Annapurna are. This game sure didn't tell me more about them that they are IMG ships.

Yep..We can say....some south Asians were present in the Sleeper Ship...n later formed IMG...sighting or influenced by common ancestry...
All the Planets, Ships, Stations are named by people from sleeper ships.......so there was some one from those cultures..thats why the named Ships n Planets like that...So if you see..Nanda Devo or Nanga Parbat...means Someone in IMG was Indian....Tripoli Shipyard..Someone was from Libya.....Dabadaru Station....n so many like that...

(08-22-2014, 06:41 PM)VinitS Wrote: We can say....

Or we can go look up and check the actual lore of the IMG for ourselves.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - VinitS - 08-22-2014

Sōmeone update the wiki please...^_^ Big Grin

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - SnakeLancerHaven - 08-22-2014

(08-22-2014, 08:00 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:
(08-22-2014, 06:41 PM)VinitS Wrote: We can say....

Or we can go look up and check the actual lore of the IMG for ourselves.

Uhm... Aren't the names given by Disco? I mean, Vanilla story doesn't have any Annapurna or Nanda Devi... Also I once saw a Turkish NPC Pilot Freelancer in Rheinland ))) Ye, something with Mehmet, don't remember or maybe he was even Rheinland Military Smile. Also, there is a folder in Disco Ships called "turkish" the ship inside there is called "Aesir" however you wont see it by just copy pasting it's cmp file however... I just checked the wiki and researched it further, the Aegir is actually the Bayonet. The Ship inside the folder is called He_Aesir, now check out what it says when you click on Bayonet: http://discoverygc.com/wiki/File:He_aesir.png

check C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Discovery Freelancer 4.87.0\DATA\SHIPS\DISCOVERY\turkish

there you have he_aesir.cmp , he_aesir.mat , he_aesir.sur

yup exactly File:He_aesir.png I have hopes that there are turks in rheinland XD

You may or may not have noticed, but after the "We can say..." I quoted from him he wasn't talking about ship names anymore, instead started brainstorming about possible IMG origins while the faction has it's own lore already. That happened like three posts above yours.

EDIT: Furthermore it also doesn't really require a lot of detective skills to notice that ships under the 'DISCOVERY' folder aren't sorted by nationalities, rather by ship types in a few cases, but mostly by players/community members. Turkish was one of them too.

And old ship names don't usually change for practical reasons, for example simply looking into the 'battleships' folder you can find names like "bsgalactica", "corona", "procurator", "recusant", "venator".