Discovery Gaming Community
Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit (/showthread.php?tid=136727)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - nOmnomnOm - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 01:30 PM)sindroms Wrote: I love how you think anyone would care.
(01-09-2016, 07:25 PM)sindroms Wrote: When you get sweared at ingame, it is hard NOT to take it oorply. I will agree that not allowing swearing has nothing to do regarding age restrictions or other such nonsense. Instead the rule is there to promote the mental well-being of the community. However if you get sanctioned for calling someone a **** IRP, you know a certain limit as to what counts as offensive/distasteful is reached.

you cared though <3
wow just look at that thread
lots of people cared
much love.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

I love how you defend the validity of your thread while ignoring the validity of people with different opinion from you by calling them sycophants while asking people to ignore your tone.

The defninition of hypocrisy right here, ladies and gentlemen.

Again, what are the losses for having swear word filter? What would be the gains for not having it?

I can instantly give you example. Filter is turned off. Flame wars begin and staff is not fast enough to prevent the waterfall of swear words.

Preventing a problem is more important than patching it. That's how vaccines work in comparison to drugs that cure symptoms only.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Xenon - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 03:26 PM)Marburg Wrote: Allow me to reiterate & further wax eloquent on my original post since y'all are so keen to ignore it & treat the rest as clickbait...The self censure feature is too draconian & posts need to be enforced more by the staff personally. Those that have complained about the feature before have a legitimate gripe & through recent personal experience, I know for a fact the issue has been ignored for a long time

What I'm looking for here is to address that long ignored issue. I know the Staff is aware of this thread by now, & more than likely, the MO is to hope it dies out before a forcelock. All I'm really looking for here is an discussion about the issue, because I know for a fact how inconvenient the discussion is.

That's why it needs to happen

If the sycophants wanna complain about my tone for another few pages, fine. but I honestly believe we need to get off our ass & honestly talk about it w/o ignoring it.

Chill @Marburg , Your discussion is valid, no doubts, and there will be always someone complaining just for complaining, no doubt too
I hope that you didn't count me with those whom you call "sycophants" , since i was just explaining that the too many text wars on this thread so far is not helping and won't grow a healthy discussion anyway. I also gave my opinion in one phrase at the end of my last reply. You have my respect and please chill

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Lennox - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 03:26 PM)Marburg Wrote: All I'm really looking for here is an discussion about the issue, because I know for a fact how inconvenient the discussion is.

A discussion is meant to bring results in the end. If you're going haywire over the way people post and derail from the topic with the second of your own post, you done f'ed it up!

And let's also not forget the fact that mods and admins are no bots and are going to look over -every- single post and thread out there. You're asking for the impossible.

In the end it's not a discussion but a rant. And we all know where those go...

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

I don't disagree w/ ya Lennox, I'm guilty of being angry & I freely admit to it....at the same time, I'm simply bringing up something that needs discussion & as abrasive as I am, It's not without reason. My tone will change when the actual discussion begins. & so far, it ain't started yet.

Up to now, the thread has been more about me than the issue itself.

I'm no different by nature now than I've always been for the past 9 years, it's just that many posters so far wanna take issue with it as clickbait & ignore the crux of why I posted today to begin with.

It ain't a rant at all though...

What I ask for still stands

though, I ain't blind, I understand the perspective

What this is, is simple anger.

There's a difference

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 03:32 PM)Snak3 Wrote: Again, what are the losses for having swear word filter? What would be the gains for not having it?

You haven't answered this so far.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - nOmnomnOm - 03-06-2016

I think the negatives outweigh the positives for this case.
Why question the system is the system works well?

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Lythrilux - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 04:57 PM)nOmnomnOm Wrote: I think the negatives outweigh the positives for this case.
Why question the system is the system works well?

*facepalm*

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

@SnakThree
Let me ask you: Are you perfectly cool with unnecessary censorship on the forums? & given your long history of butting heads with those on staff for much lesser things, & being a memorable problem child, what is it specifically that has changed now? I'm honestly curios. Are you trying to make amends by appearing agreeable to the staff or are you just looking for someone to disagree with because it's convenient for the moment?

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Kauket - 03-06-2016

I agree that some of the filters are just plain stupid - especially for ones like g-t-fo - and personally, I think the filters shouldn't apply to the RP stories subforum.