Discovery Gaming Community
Pristine Ice ore replacement - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Pristine Ice ore replacement (/showthread.php?tid=183162)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - LaWey - 09-10-2020

(09-09-2020, 08:32 PM)Unseelie Wrote: I've been looking at replacing Aluminum with Bauxite, for example.

No need to replace alluminium with bauxite. This is space mining, need somebody who into asteroids to tell what Al rich thing can be in it. Maybe something like plagioclases.
But certainly not bauxites in space.

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Nen - 09-10-2020

To further expand on Anton's point, I'd caution against pretty much using any ore names as a source of the metal considering how most ores on Earth are the result of geological processes. Processes that don't really exist on asteroids. Stuff such as aluminum you're mainly going to get mostly the pure metal/alloy plus some oxides due minute presence of oxygen and solar radiation causing radicals.

Bauxite specifically is a sedimentary rock, you're not going to get that in an asteroid.

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Charo - 09-10-2020

It's definitely different, not my first choice for a new ore but mining in Cortez sounds interesting enough for me to not start a petition. It'll just be interesting to see who has the tech that gives them a bonus to mining ice instead of rocks. Does this mean we can finally phase Kansas out of the mod have another top tier route that isn't Gold/Aluminium?

(09-09-2020, 08:45 PM)Kauket Wrote: And maybe don't have it in Cortez because it's so close to the Houses?

2/3 of all ores are either inside of a house or are within 1 jump of a core system, pristine ice having the same distance from Liberty core as Copper ore (though it is 2 jumps closer to Bretonia now)

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Megaera - 09-10-2020

Someone should definately make a ship called Icecream.Truck

Also if this is a thing. Wont lasers ruin the ice? Need new equipment for it and a refrigeration unit.

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Karlotta - 09-10-2020

Rename pristine ice to "Special Snowflakes". These crystals were grown in conditions so special they are unique in the galaxy. Only Core bases know what to actually do with them. Their special refractive properties make rainbows used in both special OP laser guns and allow for the user to ascend to a higher plane of existence where they understand wtf both LaWey and Nomads are trying to say, and why exactly they gotta emote all over everybody.

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Typrop - 09-10-2020

(09-10-2020, 03:03 AM)Karlotta Wrote: Rename pristine ice to "Special Snowflakes". These crystals were grown in conditions so special they are unique in the galaxy. Only Core bases know what to actually do with them. Their special refractive properties make rainbows used in both special OP laser guns and allow for the user to ascend to a higher plane of existence where they understand wtf both LaWey and Nomads are trying to say, and why exactly they gotta emote all over everybody.

so they're just prisms that make you have basic english comprehension

that's about on par with P R I S T I N E I C E

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Karlotta - 09-10-2020

(09-10-2020, 03:41 AM)Typrop Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 03:03 AM)Karlotta Wrote: Rename pristine ice to "Special Snowflakes". These crystals were grown in conditions so special they are unique in the galaxy. Only Core bases know what to actually do with them. Their special refractive properties make rainbows used in both special OP laser guns and allow for the user to ascend to a higher plane of existence where they understand wtf both LaWey and Nomads are trying to say, and why exactly they gotta emote all over everybody.

so they're just prisms that make you have basic english comprehension

that's about on par with P R I S T I N E I C E

Very poor response to a serious subject. Try using the thing between your ears before next try.

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Unseelie - 09-10-2020

Regarding the Bauxite thing, and sedimentary minerals: thanks, that's a thing I had not considered.

Regarding the whole ice thing, and the argument that there's ice elsewhere, well, the whole mining economy is like that. Or did you expect that copper could only be found in marketable quantities in Kansas?

No, there's likely a mix of elements available in every system. Some will lean in one direction or another, based on differences between primordial systems, but for the most part, you can expect to find these minerals everywhere.
The mining spots and routes, just like the trade routes, are a simulation of an economy being operated by hundreds of billions of humans set up so that a few thousand people can log in at no more than 200 at a time and pantomime it.

Of course ice is being mined everywhere. But that's true of Platinum, or Silver, or gold. Optronics aren't only being produced on Honshu, and gin isn't only made on new london.

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Typrop - 09-10-2020

(09-10-2020, 03:49 AM)Karlotta Wrote: Very poor response to a serious subject. Try using the thing between your ears before next try.

i did

i used my eyes Smile

(09-10-2020, 04:03 AM)Unseelie Wrote: Regarding the Bauxite thing, and sedimentary minerals: thanks, that's a thing I had not considered.

Regarding the whole ice thing, and the argument that there's ice elsewhere, the whole mining economy is like that. Or did you expect that copper could only be found in marketable quantities in Kansas?

No, there's likely a mix of elements available in every system. Some will lean in one direction or another, based on differences between primordial systems, but for the most part, you can expect to find these minerals everywhere.
The mining spots and routes, just like the trade routes, are a simulation of an economy being operated by hundreds of billions of humans set up so that a few thousand people can log in at no more than 200 at a time and pantomime it.

Of course ice is being mined everywhere. But that's true of Platinum, or Silver, or gold. Optronics aren't only being produced on Honshu, and gin isn't only made on new london.

Otherwise, concerning this. You're basically saying that this ice is more water than the other ice that's mined and/or is better water than the other ice mined that produces the water commodity, which doesn't make much sense. Much of Liberty's fluff regarding its asteroid fields involves them being mined dry, and Liberty looking for external sources. For instance, the ones in Colorado (more specifically, Silverton). Therefore, the presence of a copper field in Kansas would make sense, because it could be used to display a resource that Liberty should be clambering for.

Also, geologically speaking, pristine ice is neither an ore or a mineral.

In order to be a mineral this "pristine ice" would have to fill two criteria:
  • They occur as solids. As minerals are defined in geology terms, they are a solid, naturally occurring chemical compound with a specific crystalline structure that can occur naturally in a pure, crystalline form.
  • And, according to Wikipedia, would have to be a naturally occuring rock or sediment that contains a valuable mineral or metal.

Pristine ice would either not be pristine, or not be ice in order to be an ore, because it would have to not melt at room temperature.
Like, say
  • Aktashite
  • Arquerite
  • Atheneite
  • Kleinite
  • Moschellandsbergite
  • Mosesite
  • Temagamite
  • Terlinguate
  • Wattersite

All of these are mercury-based minerals, by the way. Mercury does not remain solid at room temperature. So unless this ice can magically remain solid at room temperature, it's either not pristine, and arguably worse quality than ice that is typically mined (hence trashing the pristine moniker), or it isn't ice, and the infocard is lying.

RE: Pristine Ice ore replacement - Kauket - 09-10-2020

It still doesn't make sense. Why would Kyushu be paying for a LARGE amount when there's water 1 lane, a gate and another lane away from Planet Kyushu? The other minerals are far less common than Water. This universe has LOADS of Water.

It'd make sense if it was some kind of weird element or crystalline needed for Planetform terraforming, but ice for Kyushu?? No matter how much you defend it, still sounds very out of place and just looks... stupid.

Can't wait for the Oxygen ore...