Discovery Gaming Community
Let's talk Gaians - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Let's talk Gaians (/showthread.php?tid=19136)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Let's talk Gaians - Marburg - 04-12-2009

Not that anyone cares, but I've spent a fair amount of time off & on for over a year trying to explain the whole esoteric 'nature thing'

I refuse to use my ego to try & step on the way people want to play, but imho, Gaians are generally far too educated to fall into any religious style of dogma.

I play my character's pov that religion is stupid cause the universe is far too complicated for the human brain to understand & people generally have to dumb it all down in order to explain the unexplainable & accept the inevatibility of death. What I do instead is keep the esoteria as vague, natural & neutral as I can. I flat-out killed my character last year in order to explain what I could, & put his 'soul' in front of the 2 suns of Edinburgh...one sun turned white & the other black, & I gave him 3 choices...he chose the 3rd; started breathing again & killed his C.O. in a feral panic. I recently picked up the same old themes in my effort to explain the NLH reboot & put the beginning of it here: The Plague Logs Part II

Let's talk Gaians - bluntpencil2001 - 04-12-2009

@ Zelot: I generally consider murdering terrorists irrational, especially when it seems like it's unlikely their goals will be met with little more than a lot of dead people and grieving families.

Killing people, and risking one's life, so that a species that hasn't evolved yet doesn't go extinct... well... strikes me as pretty irrational.

Let's talk Gaians - Quorg - 04-12-2009

Alright, I know this is only tangentially related, but are the Gaians really going to sever their alliance with the Corsairs?
Sounds like a stupid move to me.

' Wrote:Alright, I know this is only tangentially related, but are the Gaians really going to sever their alliance with the Corsairs?
Sounds like a stupid move to me.
The Gaians want nature preserved. The Corsairs wiped out life on a whole planet, and are the only people to have done so.

Let's talk Gaians - Zelot - 04-12-2009

' Wrote:I generally consider murdering terrorists irrational.

And that is a fairly closed minded attitude. I try to live by the belief that I cannot judge the rationality or irrationality of someones actions without walking a mile in their shoes so to speak. I do not know what my life would be like if I were born to some poor Palestinian family in the Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza. My family not having enough to eat, not being allowed to get enough to eat because of a dispute between powerful people that has nothing to do with me or my family. Without the mean or power to change my lot in life. I can only imagine the amount of rage that I would feel, and without an outlet with which to positively channel the rage I feel, I would be easy prey to those who would use my situation to their own ends. Is it so irrational that I would end up striking out, at the direction of another at what I see as responsible? At their people and their symbols? I dont think so. Just saying something is irrational, is allowing us to not see those we vilify are created, or how they think.

Let's talk Gaians - Quorg - 04-12-2009

' Wrote:The Gaians want nature preserved. The Corsairs wiped out life on a whole planet, and are the only people to have done so.

Fair enough. It just seems to be a trend, though, that the Outcasts gain more allies over time while the Corsairs lose them.

Examples:
Outcasts gain the BPA (although it's "secret")
Corsairs lose the Unioners
Now Corsairs will only have the Hogosha, and a very, very limited alliance with the Order (which seems to be in jeopardy as well)

While the Outcasts have:

Hessians (and by extension most Rheinland unlawfuls)
Rogues
Hackers
Mollies
GC
BD
BPA

Did I miss any?

Let's talk Gaians - Xing - 04-12-2009

' Wrote:The Gaians want nature preserved. The Corsairs wiped out life on a whole planet, and are the only people to have done so.

which planet?...

' Wrote:And that is a fairly closed minded attitude. I try to live by the belief that I cannot judge the rationality or irrationality without walking a mile in their shoes so to speak. I do not know what my life would be like if I were born to some poor Palestinian family in the Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza. My family not having enough to eat, not being allowed to get enough to eat because of a dispute between powerful people that has nothing to do with me or my family. Without the mean or power to change my lot in life. I can only imagine the amount of rage that I would feel, and without an outlet with which to positively channel the rage I feel, I would be easy prey to those who would use my situation to their own ends. Is it so irrational that I would end up striking out, at the direction of another at what I see as responsible? At their people and their symbols? I dont think so. Just saying something is irrational, is allowing us to not see those we vilify are created, or how they think.

Being in a terrible position like that and striking out would be rational. If, however, they were, for instance non-Muslim Germans from Berlin, living reasonably comfortably, who decided to go and join a Palestinian terrorist group...

That's how I see Gaians.

They aren't from Leeds, where pollution is a problem. They originated from Cambridge, where there was no, and is no, BMM presence. Planetforming will never have an effect, positive or negative, upon them in their lifetimes. The presence of life on a barren rock will never negatively affect their descendants.

There's little or no rationality here, just as there is little or no rationality in terrorists who use suicidal methods.

Irrational terrorist factions make sense to me.

Let's talk Gaians - Zelot - 04-12-2009

' Wrote:which planet?...

Cork

' Wrote:which planet?...
Cork. (Zelot wins there!:D)