Discovery Gaming Community
In a gaming rot.. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: In a gaming rot.. (/showthread.php?tid=34888)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

In a gaming rot.. - Tenacity - 02-16-2010

' Wrote:not sure if you heard, but Star Wars Galaxies is back. a group of open-sourcers found a way to make a free online server.
www.swgemu.com

I've played there, it isnt worth it - not yet. About half of the game isnt working, many classes are not implemented yet, the leveling system doesnt work properly, there's a server cap which prevents you from getting on 9 times out of ten, and the community is full of jerkoffs.

Maybe when they actually finish figuring out the code, and have an accurate reproduction of SWG pre-Cu, then it will be worth playing, but until then it's like an eternal bad beta test.

In a gaming rot.. - Zavier - 02-16-2010

Hrmm...

FPS:
Chrome SpecForce, some annoying bits, but overall a nice campaign
Quake 2 & 4
Red Faction 1 & 2
Brilliant storylines, especially for Red Faction 1, not so good multiplayer as their more well known siblings, Quake 3 and RF Guerilla.

Strategy
Heroes of Might & Magic series (can be boring, but if you get into it, it's -VERY- fun. I honestly think the 3rd game is the best in the series, 5th isn't made by the same people and shouldn't be called the same game tbh)
O.R.B Offworld Resource Base: A game like Homeworld, but I found it to be -alot- funner, and had a simpler storyline that was very fleshed out.

RPGs:
Evil Islands
Sacred
Diablo 1

Out of these, my absolute favourite would have to be Evil Islands. The ability to create your own equipment and spells with whatever you find at hand? Yes please. add to that excellent game play and a fairly decent, if not cliche storyline, but definitely worth any money you pay for it.

In a gaming rot.. - ravenrage - 02-16-2010

Hearts of Iron 3 is finally getting a big patch(Patch 1.4) this month so i'd recomend checking it out. It's quite complex, you control any nation during 1936-1948 and you control all aspects of the country, the economy, production, diplomacy, politics etc. It's not an accurate WW2 game, as you can for example play Italy, don't join axis and go take over yugoslavia, turkey, greece etc. You can even join the axis as america :yahoo: if you are good on diplomatics, the british will of course try and influence you to join them. Look at the game as a "What if?".

Freelancer is one of the epic singleplayer games, but there is another one wich is just as epic. Mafia. if you haven't played it, do so now. The story is brilliant and shows you the life of a mafia, action, backstabbing, sabotage, drive by, drama, everything in one heck of a package! Mafia 2 is coming out soon and i can't wait!

From the same makers of Hearts of Iron 3 i'll recomend Europa Universalis 3 + expansions. Take controll of any nation and possible nations from 1300 to 1800 (may be innacurate but it's an appox). Control it's religion, diplomatics, leaders, economy, building, production, army etc. Evolve in technologies to unlock cannons and gunpowder etc. Conquer america and befriend or wipe the indians. The possibilites are almost endless :wacko:It's not historicaly accurate so you are free to do whatever you want.

In a gaming rot.. - Exile - 02-16-2010

I only saw Dawn of war 1 and 2. Also try

Dawn of war : Dark crusade (best apart from 2)
Dawn of war : Soulstorm
Mount&Blade

In a gaming rot.. - looqas - 02-16-2010

May I suggest the title "Real Life"?

It's a real open ended one and you can customize your character endlessly.:D

More on the topic: Freespace 2. It's released as an open source. More info here http://www.hard-light.net/

In a gaming rot.. - Evan_ - 02-16-2010

Sacrifice. Old and epic. The graphiscs are still more interesting than outdated. I even play multiplayer of it somedays. It worths mentioning on the same page as Dungeon Keeper, Majesty and Black & White.

In a gaming rot.. - ophidian - 02-16-2010

Morrowind
Daggerfall
Galactic Civ II
Neverwinter Nights II + Mask of the Betrayer
Crysis
The Witcher
Brutal Legend
Lost Odyssey
Condemned 1-2
Gears of War 1-2
Sam and Max episodes
Deus Ex 1-2
The Bard's Tale
Gothic 1-2-3
Full Throtle
Loom
Maniac Mension
Day of the Tentacle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Resident Evil 1-2-3
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Might and Magic 6, 7
FarCry
Hitman 1-2-3-4, especially 4
Splinter Cell 1-2-3-4
Beyond Good & Evil
Undying
Thief 2, if you feel for it, 3
The Thing
Kotor 1, 2
Diablo 2, LOD exp.
Baldurs Gate II (with Mods, it evolves a lot)
Tenchu I & II
Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3
Pharaoh
Dark Corners of the Earth - Call of Cthulu
Lion Heart
Privateer II
Omikron
Gabriel Knight 1-2-3 (I cannot stress this enough)
Phantasmagoria I-II
The Ripper
Star Wars Rebellion
Space Quest 1-2-3-4-5-6
Blade Runner
Jedi Knight
TIE FIGHTER!

Let me know if you need more, this was only my 1st shelf to my right in the comp room:P

In a gaming rot.. - Serpentis - 02-16-2010

' Wrote:Morrowind
Daggerfall
Galactic Civ II
Neverwinter Nights II + Mask of the Betrayer
Crysis
The Witcher
Brutal Legend
Lost Odyssey
Condemned 1-2
Gears of War 1-2
Sam and Max episodes
Deus Ex 1-2
The Bard's Tale
Gothic 1-2-3
Full Throtle
Loom
Maniac Mension
Day of the Tentacle
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Resident Evil 1-2-3
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Might and Magic 6, 7
FarCry
Hitman 1-2-3-4, especially 4
Splinter Cell 1-2-3-4
Beyond Good & Evil
Undying
Thief 2, if you feel for it, 3
The Thing
Kotor 1, 2
Diablo 2, LOD exp.
Baldurs Gate II (with Mods, it evolves a lot)
Tenchu I & II
Metal Gear Solid 1-2-3
Pharaoh
Dark Corners of the Earth - Call of Cthulu
Lion Heart
Privateer II
Omikron
Gabriel Knight 1-2-3 (I cannot stress this enough)
Phantasmagoria I-II
The Ripper
Star Wars Rebellion
Space Quest 1-2-3-4-5-6
Blade Runner
Jedi Knight
TIE FIGHTER!

Let me know if you need more, this was only my 1st shelf to my right in the comp room:P

You Sir, have won.

I have used this to buy some of the games I havent thought about at all.. Thank you:D

In a gaming rot.. - ophidian - 02-16-2010

I hope you enjoy them. All the ones I wrote here were games that really worth the money I paid and enjoyed playing, all I played at least 5-6 times, finishing over and over again. I still have some of these installed to my netbook. I guess you ll have fun as well:)

In a gaming rot.. - stardust47 - 02-16-2010

FPS suggestions:
Team Fortress 2
Half-Life: Blue Shift+Opposing Force
Half-Life 2 episodes
Counter-Strike: Source

Not sure where these would go, but the Resident Evil series is one of the best horror series out there.