Discovery Gaming Community
Space Artillery concept or something - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Space Artillery concept or something (/showthread.php?tid=38890)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Space Artillery concept or something - Miaou - 04-25-2010

I have to say this is a good idea, and i have thought of this myself. I thought of a ship larger than a GB, but less than a cruiser flying around with one large cannon, or 2-4 smaller but strong cannons with very limited hull, movement, etc.

Plus, for this to even be different, the guns range should be about 6K if not more. Also, maybe even a "Target" distance can be set, saying you might want the shots to explode at 3K, not the maximum distance.

Space Artillery concept or something - Blaze - 04-25-2010

I like the idea infact I say we should replace the gunboat forward cannons with weapons like these, it will give them an edge over the Bombers

Space Artillery concept or something - Dragonego - 04-26-2010

' Wrote:Plus, for this to even be different, the guns range should be about 6K if not more. Also, maybe even a "Target" distance can be set, saying you might want the shots to explode at 3K, not the maximum distance.

This would probably be limited by game mechanics, I cant see any way in which a gun/turrets range can be altered on the fly, unfortunately. Would be cool though.

I think this would be an awesome idea, if it were added to current ships or a class of its own. Do want either way.

Space Artillery concept or something - Dashiell - 04-26-2010

Maybe something the size and with the handling of the junker Salvage Frigate?

Space Artillery concept or something - mjolnir - 04-26-2010

I can see something like that as heavy cruiser turret, or maybe in some GB forward gun slots.

It shouldn't be good from close range - so probably no proximity fuse, but then when it only explodes at max range I'm not sure if it does damage. Now if even it's made to work like that, then it can't do too much damage to avoid big number of instakills, so probably some 6-9k damage max, but then again will that really be useful in a fight?

Space Artillery concept or something - Miaou - 04-26-2010

' Wrote:This would probably be limited by game mechanics, I cant see any way in which a gun/turrets range can be altered on the fly, unfortunately. Would be cool though.

I think this would be an awesome idea, if it were added to current ships or a class of its own. Do want either way.

I understand this would be a pain to do or even impossible but putting ideas out there never hurt.

Space Artillery concept or something - SMI-Great.Fox - 04-26-2010

I believe that this phrase should apply..
"I hope you do realise, that the cost would be astronomical"

Sure...they are sounding like good weaponry...but to restrict it...make them very exspensive and limited buying locations.

Space Artillery concept or something - ACER_SPACER - 04-28-2010

We already have capships that are extremely expensive, how about those of us who want to perform a different role in combat other than dogfighting in fighters and don't have the money to sink down on a serious combat capitol ship. This would have to be in the gunboat price range or a little bit more than that. around 30-50 million would be fine.

Space Artillery concept or something - Lobster - 04-28-2010

I am going to let this idea develop a bit more before I am going to comment in-depth...

For now, I can say I like what I see.

Space Artillery concept or something - jxie93 - 04-28-2010

Special cruisers, hull points debatable, turret classes debatable. Massive powerplant + special cruiser weapon (your artillery piece) which consumption is so high that only these special cruisers can fire it.

Problem solved, no inventing a completely different ship class.