Discovery Gaming Community
Zoner ID Reformation Idea - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Zoner ID Reformation Idea (/showthread.php?tid=62433)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - Daedric - 07-01-2011

No point Bindo in arguing with them Bindo, they think they are always right and that their opinion is the only opinion that matters.

Anyways, all this is going to be is a mudslinging contest. Nothing else will come out of it, nothing other than mudslinging came out of it when it was being discussed between the Zoner factions via a google document.

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - fencore - 07-01-2011

Mneh, let's get this train back on track.

So it seems we've got a few ideas with various degrees of support.
1. The OP - A split along the RP direction the factions have taken Zoners. Seems that it's been determined to be too heavy-handed to work for everyone in a functional sense.

2. The Regional Divide - Four IDs, each representing a different regional set. Omegas, Taus, Omicrons, and Inter-House. Let each region manage its own diplomacy independently of the rest. Gives us the desired effect, but currently doesn't have a fleshed-out set of responsibilities attached. Blodo, since you proposed it here, would you mind either digging up the old proposal or putting something together for this?

3. The Faction Divide - each Zoner faction gets its own ID and then we have a fourth generic Zoner ID (which would be the present Zoner ID). Would sate each faction's special needs and still leave generic indies, although I assume this would shoot to leave the Non-Guard System Zoner Bases under the generic tag? That could still raise regional diplomacy issues.
3a. Aeternus' Divide - Omicroners and TAZ get their own IDs, OSI keeps the Zoner ID. Personally, I wouldn't be opposed, but I don't think, given the Omicroner's view that OSI isn't a Zoner faction, this would ever fly. Neat proposal, though.
4. We leave things as they are. Certainly wouldn't make things any worse, but I don't think the status quo is quite cutting it.
At least those are the ID ideas that have been presented here. I might take a couple of those and draw up some draft IDs to see if we could balance them well enough for everyone, but that's going to be the issue. How do we balance the Zoner IDs to fit the established roleplays while still being fair to the indies?

Ingenious, as much as I love the can-do attitude, talking among the Zoner factions hasn't proved to be a viable solution. This feud of sorts - at least between OSI and the ZTC/Omicroners - has been going on for a long time between various members of both factions. What can you say to a group of people who don't even recognize your roleplay as valid? And on the other hand, OSI recognizes Omicroner RP as valid, but disagrees with how it is displayed, which I suppose would explain why we're not all Omicroners.

This OORP stance affects all three of the factions in and out of RP. InRP we can't solve an OORP problem, and OORP discussion has yielded no results for the longest time because one of us ends up saying something that upsets the others. As far as a solution goes, the only one that I can imagine having any effect would be to make it so we don't need to deal with each other unless we want to. Hence the ID split.

In regards to your comment on the usage of FR5, if memory serves, OSI has only filed one FR5 since I've been there, and it was on an indie player who'd caused quite a ruckus. We've never moved to do any sort of Five-ing toward a faction, as generally we can talk things through. I know the Omicroners have requested a few, and I'm not certain if teh TAZ has at all, but I'm not gonna point fingers on that. You're absolutely right, though. If we have to FR5, we've failed as Zoners.

Nevertheless, because of these OORP feelings, our RPs cannot coexist on the same ID and still be productive. Because of the way the Omicroners feel, they object to us having our own Zoner ID. OSI feels it's a Zoner faction more than it would be any other.

We just don't know where to go.

Edit: typographical errors

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - DarthBindo - 07-01-2011

The main problem with the current Zonerfaction id whatever is less the restrictions put in place on the actual ID and more the inability to do things your way when your sharing the same IFF with two other factions.
I believe that option three would be the most sensible way of doing things, allowing each faction to carry on it's own diplomacy without affecting the others (and vice versa, allowing someone to be hostile to one without FR5ing the other two and indies).
Of course, the issue of who controls the un-affiliated bases (FP1, 2, 5, 6, 10, 11, Bethlehem, Primus, Gammu, Ames, Porto Novo, Lanzarote, Boa Vista, Gran Canaria, just to be thourough) would come into question, but the current system might be able to work there once removed from the three faction's main bases.

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - Pinko - 07-01-2011

Y'know, threads like this one don't help dissipating the prejudices that exist against Zoners. Claiming that one is closer to the Vanilla lore when we're in Discovery doesn't mean a whole lot, because this isn't Vanilla freelancer. We're talking about a faction with access to capital ships, therefore wealthy, therefore with influence, therefore people become jealous of said influence, therefore enemies are born. I honestly doubt these people would take time to discriminate between the two kind of Zoners, since they're all Zoners.

If anything, Discovery should be the introduction of the end of the Zoners as we knew them in Vanilla, and future installations should consider them as a sort of Freemason faction conspirating against houses with their near-infinite wealth.

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - Malaclypse 666 - 07-01-2011

' Wrote:If anything, Discovery should be the introduction of the end of the Zoners as we knew them in Vanilla, and future installations should consider them as a sort of Freemason faction conspirating against houses with their near-infinite wealth.

Or the "Gnomes of Zurich", eh? How droll.

I'm waiting for Doc to chime in before i offer my pair o' digms here...

(Notice how polite and quiet I've been..?)

I am curious, tho... Ingenuous.. do you have a Zoner char?

und Ewige Shlangekraft!

Mal

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - Pinko - 07-02-2011

' Wrote:Or the "Gnomes of Zurich", eh? How droll.

I'm waiting for Doc to chime in before i offer my pair o' digms here...

(Notice how polite and quiet I've been..?)

I am curious, tho... Ingenuous.. do you have a Zoner char?

und Ewige Shlangekraft!

Mal

I used to, a lunatic with visions of grandeur who wanted to use his "Freeport" in the Sigmas to gain contact and influence within the Houses to possibly remove them from power in a very long term project to get himself richer through the ensuing anarchy.

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - DarthBindo - 07-02-2011

' Wrote:I used to, a lunatic with visions of grandeur who wanted to use his "Freeport" in the Sigmas to gain contact and influence within the Houses to possibly remove them from power in a very long term project to get himself richer through the ensuing anarchy.
Just beacuse it says chicken nuggets on the box doesn't mean that's what they put in them, aye?

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - Hades - 07-02-2011

' Wrote:Just beacuse it says chicken nuggets on the box doesn't mean that's what they put in them, aye?
If chicken nuggets are not in the box, then why label it as such?

Now, for my side on the argument itself? I have none. While I'm an Omicroner, I've not had enough history with either side to take a stance one way or another. But from what I've seen, both sides need to chill, quite a lot, as both sides are getting way too worked up over this.

It's just a game. It's meant to be fun, and these pseudo-politics we have amongst ourselves, trying to change each other to how we practice Zoner RP, is ruining our fun. But I don't think we need to, I think the way we do it differently is fine, and actually serves as an example of communities within the Zoners well enough.

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - Riebezagel - 07-02-2011

' Wrote:I, as a Corsair...
[Image: facepalm.gif]
dude, seriously... find another topic to troll. some people try to discuss here, so take your chicken nuggets and be gone.

' Wrote:No point Bindo in arguing with them Bindo, they think they are always right and that their opinion is the only opinion that matters.

Anyways, all this is going to be is a mudslinging contest. Nothing else will come out of it, nothing other than mudslinging came out of it when it was being discussed between the Zoner factions via a google document.
:wacko:

' Wrote:Mneh, let's get this train back on track...
:rtfm:

Zoner ID Reformation Idea - lousal - 07-02-2011

---------------------------------------------------------------