Discovery Gaming Community
Saddened by the rule 5.6 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Saddened by the rule 5.6 (/showthread.php?tid=97690)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - Sava - 04-26-2013

Quote: by causing lot more of them with much higher potential for abuse and unjustice.
How can one abuse it?

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - dodike - 04-26-2013

(04-26-2013, 09:38 PM)Sava Wrote:
Quote: by causing lot more of them with much higher potential for abuse and unjustice.
How can one abuse it?
For once you could blockade an entire planet in a light fighter while all transports you tossed a demand on would queue until somebody forces you away or shoots you down.

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - Sava - 04-26-2013

Of course. If one can't withstand a light fighter, he should be pvp dead.
Isn't that a normal approach?

Edit: So, basically, this exception limits effective raiding craft to cloaking battleships with chainfiring mortars?

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - Auriec - 04-26-2013

(04-26-2013, 09:44 PM)Sava Wrote: Of course. If one can't withstand a light fighter, he should be pvp dead.

Edit: So, basically, this exception limits effective raiding craft to cloaking battleships with chainfiring mortars?

[Image: tumblr_mfprkgiMu91r21swvo1_400.gif]

Seriously, it would be annoying as hell and would harm the gameplay if somebody can just stand infront of a planet, demand something something from the traders, shoot a bit and then declare that they're pvp death when they dock because they're getting their goods.

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - dodike - 04-26-2013

(04-26-2013, 09:44 PM)Sava Wrote: Of course. If one can't withstand a light fighter, he should be pvp dead.

You are mistaken, transports can withstand a light figher, just can't destroy it. That alone is enough to deny them their operations.
Ships have their roles and unlike other classes transports need to dock to perform their role (trading).

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - Karst - 04-26-2013

If you're trying to kill a transport that's right by a friendly base, then yeah.
Why would you even attempt to do that, anyway?

If you're trying to pirate a transport that's right by a friendly base, you're doing piracy wrong.
If you're a lawful trying to stop an uncooperative/hostile transport and they dock at a house base, file a sanction/FR5.
If you're a lawful trying to stop an uncooperative/hostile transport and they dock at a pirate base, they escaped successfully.

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - Alphablood1 - 04-26-2013

(04-26-2013, 08:00 PM)CaptainAlamo Wrote: I never understood the rule that any dock counts as a player death. I know the obvious argument is that is is an unfair advantage to dock and reload then undock and continue fighting, but to me that is the point of bases, as safe port to operate out of. For instance, if you travel into enemy territory and attack members of a faction near their own base, shouldn't it be at your own risk that they use that base to service their ships in combat? Otherwise there is no tact to taking extra care near your enemies bases or territory, for instance, like waiting outside of the immediate base zone, or trying to attack ships on route to a destination, and waiting for them to get into deep space. If you attack someone in their territory it should be on your own liability to deal with the consequences of it. I also always wondered if docking on a ship in battle counts as docking/player death as well? As far as I'm concerned, if you attack someone at their base, and they use that tactical advantage to 'win' then they win. Thats why you might want to work harder to get capital ships, or build large groups to stage surprise attacks, so, you would have to kill those players to get them counted as dead, and fight harder if they managed to dock and restock, which is, the danger you face when launching attacks in your enemy's territory. That way if an attack fails, you can always withdraw. The same advantage would work for you in your own territory or base area as well. Once you're dead the same rules apply, you just have to use greater skill to blast someone BEFORE they get to dock. Also, if you are chasing a ship, even a cap ship, and they manage to hold out long enough to dock, the hunters may face the risk of becoming the 'hunted' as they failed to stop the ship before reaching a port safe to it. If they're both able to dock, keep fighting until destruction is achieved, or stay docked, ceding victory to your pursuer. I understand this rule will not likely change, but I think it would make gameplay more interesting. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with what u said when in ur own territory u should have the upper hand always its no damn different on earth or if u think about a show like stargate or star wars or star trek u always have the upper hand in ur own territory same goes with EVE Online if u attack a faction base in EVE than u better be prepaired to deal with all there defenses and supplies

RE: Saddened by the rule 5.6 - Hone - 04-26-2013

RE Transports docking: Transports are the lifeblood of disco, encouraging them helps gameplay, and if you are trying to pirate a transport next to a base its friendly to, something has gone wrong anyway. the only time this may be forced on you is with jumptrading, where people jump from base to base, making them unpiratable.

RE: Docking = dying. I too dont like this, but consider that bases are atm invincible, if they were made killable like POBs (or even make them so you can disable them for a while) THEN they might be balanced enough to allow docking not to count as death. you guys say
"oh in real life you can dock and then launch again" but remember in real life its balanced, cos the enemy can destroy your base too.