Discovery Gaming Community
What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread (/showthread.php?tid=10594)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - n00bl3t - 07-25-2008

' Wrote:Superluminal does indeed mean faster than light. As far as I know the trade lanes work using magnetism to thrust ships forwards until they reach the next ring and are thrusted again to keep the momentum.

On this note, I think we can all admit that trying to apply modern physics to Freelancer is nothing short of a joke:P

It just reminded me of this (Profanity Warning!):
http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/18-time...ed-of-light.jpg

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Generation - 07-25-2008

we did this in science today...
If you left earth and traveled at 90% the speed of light for one year on earth 9 years would have passed.

Oh and a question a found a while back;
If you where traveling at the speed of light and turned on your headlights, what would happen?

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - n00bl3t - 07-25-2008

' Wrote:we did this in science today...
If you left earth and traveled at 90% the speed of light for one year on earth 9 years would have passed.

Oh and a question a found a while back;
If you where traveling at the speed of light and turned on your headlights, what would happen?

[Image: TimeDilation.gif]

Err. What?

The light would contract, as C is same velocity in all reference frames. (Unless your car is rotating or accelerating, in which case the whole thing goes to pot.)

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Xaero - 07-30-2008

Firstly, there is never any real definition of 'K' is it really Kilometres? I highly doubt the developers were that thick. It might just be based off the metric systems basic distance lengths, and why wouldn't it be? They are the most simple.

Do not apply real world physics to FL. Waste of time, and I have a physics qualification.

On FTL travel; is it possible now? Yes. Absolutely, Something called a Tachyon, is a particle that moves faster than light. It's unpredictable though, isn't thought to have any mass, and is completely unexplained. very little research has been done to them, but if there are tachyon weapons in FL, the there perhaps may be some scope for FTL.

In real terms Moving a massed object at FTL speeds is currently impossible as far as we know, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I personally am adamant it will happen in the future, or at least Light speed travel will be a reality. It may take thousands of years mind.

Physics people: Yup a lot of sweeping statements and an argument plucked from nowhere, but its 3:10 am, cut me some slack.

Goodnight.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Linkero - 07-30-2008

First off everyone should stop racking thier brains to compare FL to the real world. For one, everything in FL is FAR beyond our current science. For example space travel. We can barely transport humans to mars let alone across a whole solar system. If FL was compared to real life FL's science and technology is WAY FAR more advanced then we can even possibly think of right now. It would take probably milleniums to become that advanced.

Now back to the original topic at hand. If such a weapon was created then it would also have to be reversable. The main reason is that the main houses and researchers go out to do thier studys in other solar systems only accessable by jumpholes. But my question is how would it affect the other side of the jumphole? If someone was to dock at it would they be lost in space, destroyed, or returned back to whence they came? Or even it just disappear?

I do think that pirates would find some way to survive tho. I also think that a rouge lawful would end up giving them the means to open the jumpholes back up. And when that happens it would become total anarchy because the pirates would try to use it against the lawfuls.

BUT.........I would like to see some technology like that incoprated into the game. If not shutting down a jumphole possibly a jumpgate. Sort of like in SP when the liberty navy was in control of who came in and out of the system and was able to lock the jumpgates. With that bieng said it would be alot easier for a patrol to control access to other houses at jumpholes and then all they would have to do is place a few battleships/cruisers/gunboats at the jumpholes and eliminate any unlawfuls.

Those are just my thoughts tho.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - weylin - 07-30-2008

if an object emitting radio waves speeds up to that of light will those waves compress into gamma rays?

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Linkus - 08-03-2008

FTL travel? Time travel?

Here's a question. Why not simply leave this universe?
We are made of the particles from this universe but who says we can't leave it?
After all, you can cut out a piece of paper from a larger piece.
We just need a different type of scissors.

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - jammi - 08-05-2008

With the universe, I'd say it was a cloud of rapidly expanding matter, once you escape the matter, I suppose you have left the universe, but seeing as you yourself are made from matter of this universe, the universe would expand in size at the same velocity you traveled. Or something like that? The infinite finite?

What would happen - Hijacked into Science of FL thread - Raekur - 08-06-2008

' Wrote:I laugh when scientists based on theories of things they can't test say something is "impossible". They have been proven wrong over and over again.

Britain's minister of science at the turn of the last century (thereabouts anyway) said "spaceflight was impossible". Reason why? The physicists of the day had calculated how much fuel would be needed to reach the moon and established that the engine and fuels tanks alone would have to be so large that you could never carry enough fuel to get the ship free of earth's gravitational pull.

Based on some of Goddard's pioneering, Werner Von Braun came along and said, "Then let's break the spaceship into pieces and drop off the empty fuel tanks as we go." Relayy simple idea--took almost a century for anyone to think opf it.

Ironically, Jule's Verne's story From Earth to the Moon was what polarized public interest into space flight and it was dissecting his device of firing an artillery shell spaceship to the moon that was the basis for the royal academy's proclamation.

Sceince fiction writers have consistently theorized things long before scientests could accept they would be possible--ever.

The primary scientific rejection of man ever finding a possible way to exceed light speed travel is that causality would violated in this universe and then you get into mutiple universe theory and it is just scientifically not 'politically correct" at the moment.

So time travel as stated by mainstream scientists is at present "impossible"...until someone comes along and thinks of how to break the spaceship into pieces.

To accomplish ftl travel, one will also be accomplishing time travel and that's why its such a hotly attacked subject in the scientific community.

I look at the history of science fiction and how often it has hit the nail on the head far before science and when I think of that and "impossible", I am always reminded of a statement written by pre-iron age Hebrews thousands of years ago:

Genisis 11:6b

Want another kick into the face of science byt a "science fiction writing".
Look at a old space game called Traveller.
I think the most amusing thing about that game was that all the science that is contained is explained to a reasonable level of understanding. The writings were so well done that the game has continued to have a massive following (well over a quarter of a million players) over the span of 30 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveller_(role-playing_game)

Several of the things that have evolved in the traveller universe could be easily incorperated into Discovery and would result in a massive increase of roleplay possibilities. As long as your not a person who believes that if it does not exist then its impossible, then you will find traveller very entertaining and useful for roleplay ideas.

Xaero,
as far as the developers of freelancer being a bit "thick".
Remember, these are the same 'geniuses' that call a battleship BS when for the last 100 years its been BB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol