Discovery Gaming Community
Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit (/showthread.php?tid=136727)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Chuba - 03-06-2016

nice

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Marburg - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 05:05 PM)Nyx Wrote: I agree that some of the filters are just plain stupid - especially for ones like g-t-fo - and personally, I think the filters shouldn't apply to the RP stories subforum.

Just so you know, I've over the years wrote oodles of very "questionable" content in the RP forums...I'm just not the kind of guy that tries to draw a big amount of attention to the content of my RP so I've gotten away with alot of very twisted & disturbing things because I know how to stay under the radar with a bit of wordsmithing.

It ain't what you say, it's how you say it...& I've always been good at pushing boundaries without real notice

I've already said too much.

My Bad

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Backo - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 04:48 PM)Snak3 Wrote:
(03-06-2016, 03:32 PM)Snak3 Wrote: Again, what are the losses for having swear word filter? What would be the gains for not having it?

You haven't answered this so far.

We'll be able to say salt and cancer. And they're not even swear words, SnakThree.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - SnakThree - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 05:02 PM)Marburg Wrote: @SnakThree
Let me ask you: Are you perfectly cool with unnecessary censorship on the forums? & given your long history of butting heads with those on staff for much lesser things, & being a memorable problem child, what is it specifically that has changed now? I'm honestly curios. Are you trying to make amends by appearing agreeable to the staff or are you just looking for someone to disagree with because it's convenient for the moment?

Let me ask you why are you making this personal as opposed to just answering my question to the best of your ability? Perhaps you don't have an answer? Who I was, who I am or how I act(ed) have nothing to do with topic at hand. Stop avoiding the legimate question and tell the staff and communty, what are the benefits of having swear words un-filtered.

to answer your question, I'll restate what I basically said already: the forum swear filter is too draconian & it's not the job of the staff to be tought police, but to enforce actual violations of the rules without artificial help...I pretty mush said that in other words in post #1...where were you at the time? reading the post or skipping it in lieu of formulating your comment to what you think it contained?

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Jansen - 03-06-2016

The swear filter used to contain 'normal' swear words in its beginning, however certain people have apparently made it a sport to use different words (language/slang evolution kind of stuff), so even simple and innocent words can be an insult if used in a specific context/community. Thats why the swear filter got more and more seemingly unrelated words added to it.

Solution? Fix people, make them less dumb and instead act nice to each other and we wouldnt even need that filter in the first place. As long as people search for ways to be mean to each other, we have to search for ways to stop this from happening.

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Lythrilux - 03-06-2016

Since when are basic words mean? Do we have to start filtering the entire alphabet soon because someone gets triggered by the letter 'a'?

@Jansen believe me, I know the lengths people will go to be asshats to others (I'm clearly one of them) but beyond the staple & obvious vulgarities, the minor slangs like gtfo, salt, & cancer shouldn't be auto-censored by default...in cases where that's abused, it should be dealt with by the staff on a case by case basis & not automated as a one size fits all sort of thing....I know it's more convenient to treat it that way, but it's the context of the words like those used in a post & not the words themselves.

edit- SEE?? I can't even discuss the words that warrant discussion without censorship

THAT'S WHAT AGGRAVATES ME THE MOST. I"M NOT EVEN FREE TO HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT THE TERMS THEMSELVES

That just ain't right, & why I'm so big on the spirit of the rule in lieu of the letter of it

RE: Let's talk about the auto-censor for a bit - Garrett Jax - 03-06-2016

Is this even a battle worth fighting?

Seriously?

I think energy and time would be better spent elsewhere. There is a lot of fun to be had playing this game. Arguing across the forums over selective censorship seems to be a waste of time. I know I wasted enough of it reading this thread.

love ya Bob, but OH HELL YEAH it's worth fighting for.

Seriously