Discovery Gaming Community
House Advanced jump gates - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: House Advanced jump gates (/showthread.php?tid=13857)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

House Advanced jump gates - Linkus - 11-20-2008

Good god people. Advanced jump gates are NOT unfeasable.
Yes having them from one capital system to another is a bad idea at this current time as the trading dynamics would be terribly upset.

However, other uses of them are not out of the question right now.
Think of it this way.
There's a system surronded by darkmatter clouds that has unstable jumpholes appearing every so often in it (Not in game, just how this would make sense. Jumpholes are natural and they have been known to collapse etc from ingame lore).
BMM say send a probe through one of these jumpholes. The information it sends back shows the system to be full of minerals that would be a huge asset to the company. Unfortunately the hole collapses soon after.
Now, using those jumpholes would be far too risky and unreliable, who knows when a hole could collapse and another not appear for a long time? Plus they are just plain dangerous apparantly.
So to get around this, they try to build a gate that can bypass these Dark Matter clouds.
Essentially, an advanced jump gate.

It would look different and be different from the others in it's animation etc but it would operate the same.

The reason why we don't use advanced jumpgates for long distances is simply because we can see how systems can be close together and require a gate or be far far apart (Tau systems) and still use the same type of gate.
Distance isn't really an excuse for such a gate.

However, dark matter avoidance and other things are.

House Advanced jump gates - Derkylos - 11-20-2008

' Wrote:Simple solution. An advanced gate leading to a system that is not connected to any other. Sounds like a normal jumpgate but it could be a prototype one to bypass Dark Matter clouds.

YUS! and have the gate one-way only! and add a single, solitary asteroid in the middle of the system! (100k from the gate) then watch and laugh as people get stuck inside! and they can't kill each other without a legitimate RP reason! YUS!!!

Edited to add a consturctive point...
...While, from an economic viewpoint, this makes perfect sense, and, up to 800AS, when the houses lived in peace, this would be a great idea. However, as has been shown by the Bretonia-Kusari war, and the Rheinland-Liberty tensions, this is not a feasable state of affairs. Sure, you could build gates to close allies only...so, Bretonia and Liberty get a connection? well...it's 3 jumpsfrom New York to Shikoku...and Liberty is an ally..."can we send a huge battlefleet through to open up a second front with Kusari?"...and, if Liberty says no...we're siding with Rheinland and doing it anyway, and invading Liberty on the way...massed, Sirius-wide war, anyone?

House Advanced jump gates - Eboksba - 11-20-2008

Dark matter is a recent discovery, where darkness in and out of itself is an actual thing, with properties of its own. Matter, in essentials, justl like we have found out that light does the same thing. We call it the photon.

Quote:Good god people. Advanced jump gates are NOT unfeasable.

/signed.

I refer to the Dark Matter clouds that are seen in a good few systems, especially Texas it seems.

House Advanced jump gates - Derkylos - 11-20-2008

' Wrote:Dark matter is a recent discovery, where darkness in and out of itself is an actual thing, with properties of its own. Matter, in essentials, justl like we have found out that light does the same thing. We call it the photon.

Uhh...what? No, "dark matter" is, as the name suggests, matter that is dark. It is usually thought to be hydrogen or helium clouds that are not in the vicinity of a star, and is thought to comprise the vast majority of the universe's mass. In Freelancer, the developers decided it would be malign, and that it would erode ships, and destabilize artificial wormholes (jump gates). this is what happened in the Texas disaster, and why the Gallileo 'lanes were built (a storm was thought to be headed towards kepler...tho how dark matter forms a "storm" in space is beyond me...).

Nothing to do with darkness taking physical form...

(I cast magic missile at the darkness...)

Apparantly Dark Matter is meant to be right infront of you right now Derkylos, inbetween you and the computer screen. Still, not a discussion for here.

I have a model for an advanced gate, nothing fancy though. Just additions to the current jumpgate model.

House Advanced jump gates - Coin - 11-21-2008

Hypergates for travelling to and from rheinland to kusari? (shudders) :nono:

One-way Hypergates in Connecticut that lead to the four (five) systems that can only be used by a level 5 player, thus making ship set up a breeze? OH YUS! :yahoo:

' Wrote:massed, Sirius-wide war, anyone?

can i haz plox? :crazy:

House Advanced jump gates - Ark - 11-21-2008

If the gates charge for mass, and the price is high enough to make running trains and other transports through them a useless waste of time, imagine then how much it would cost to run a Rheinland Battleship through it. Now multiply that cost by the number of ships that would be in a fleet.

I note that I don't know why I'm arguing.

Edit: It would be a nice way for bountied fighters to escape pursuing battlecruisers...

House Advanced jump gates - MB52 - 11-21-2008

' Wrote:I refer to the Dark Matter clouds that are seen in a good few systems, especially Texas it seems.

Texas did not have darkmatter clouds originally. They were formed when one of these "advanced" jumpgates was tested.

Basically it was to be a long range jumpgate from liberty to kusari (I think) but the distance was too far and the "wormhole" went through a darkmatter cloud, causing a massive explosion, and causing darkmatter to come back through into texas.

The main reason jumpgates only jump a certain distance is because of the dangers of going too far. Some places like the darkmatter clouds have to be negotiated at cruise/tradelane speeds.