Discovery Gaming Community
Racing Ships - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Racing Ships (/showthread.php?tid=16468)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Racing Ships - Xing - 03-02-2009

sounds like a ultra low poly snubnose with no wheel engines.. =P

Racing Ships - Kambei - 03-02-2009

racing ship in my view is very agile and small as it is posible with biggest engine as is posible.... in fact just engine and cockpit conected togeather with some kind of light construction... you dont need strong hull, you even doesnt need hull at all, also guns are in that case useless, powercore just enough for feeding engine and we can say lvl 5 shileds (against small asteroids and ramming). I have one in my mind, prety simple and looks cool, once I finish new marauder, I'll build it:)

Racing Ships - me_b_kevin - 03-03-2009

' Wrote:racing ship in my view is very agile and small as it is posible with biggest engine as is posible.... in fact just engine and cockpit conected togeather with some kind of light construction... you dont need strong hull, you even doesnt need hull at all, also guns are in that case useless, powercore just enough for feeding engine and we can say lvl 5 shileds (against small asteroids and ramming). I have one in my mind, prety simple and looks cool, once I finish new marauder, I'll build it:)

cool! i would love to have others make some models too. the ones i am making are just for ideas, seeing as transferring .dxf files (from what i hear) is kinda difficult.

i agree with Xing, it does look like the snubnose in a way. i may remove the wing bits and just have one large engine on each wing.

Racing Ships - Jinx - 03-03-2009

racing ships don t necessarily need to be only fast.

there are two reasons ( at least ) people are fascinated by races. - one is the rush of speed, the other is the skill of the pilots.

thats why there are races ( popular, too ) where everyone is driving the same vehicle, - races with rather slow, but hard to race with vehicles ( like trucks ) - horse races, etc.

so, in theory, a racing ship wouldn t need to have a speed exceeding that of the normal military interceptor. - but it might need more "skill" to make use of that speed.

for example:

- when you mount a very small engine on a ship with a rather large mass, - you get the effect of a long reaction time. - the ship is sliding when changing direction of flight.

- or you can disable cruise, make a very curvy racing course - disable shields and give them the hull of a starflier - but 2 thrusters. - it wouldn t be so much "who goes fastest" but "who goes fastest AND reaches the goal alive"

about the looks of the ships - there can be many, - ultralight ones, engines with a small tank and cockpit - or even heavy ones that can take quite a beating but won t go so fast ( for demolition competitions )

there could be ships with no shields - or ships with such a low hull that touching another opponent is almost instadeath.

but in the end.... it mostly depends on the racing tracks available. - right now, we have one single track, which is fairly boring, too. - i think making really good tracks is quite some work - making use of 3d space makes it even harder.

Racing Ships - Linkus - 03-03-2009

Jinx, I could get an asteroid field one working. Tiny lanes. Go out of em, radiation insta-kills you, except for specified spectator areas.