Discovery Gaming Community
Story Railroading. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Story Railroading. (/showthread.php?tid=191386)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Story Railroading. - Serpentis - 02-07-2022

I've been around for a while, was 1IC a couple of times over official factions, even was part of a "government" RP thing.
Back then (2010 isch) I never felt that our RP wasn't influencing the story that took place.

I do not agree with Haste, I firmly believe that Official and unofficial factions should have a say in how things work out in the story.
Of course, some things may not be all good and have to be ignored or countered, there are a few people that always tries to change the narrative to make their own RP situation better, aka getting their factions gain more without proper reason.
I think I read somewhere that there was RP which the RP was between someone's two factions. This should be made sure not to happen.

And, to add to this, I know there have always been some devs that make things better or easier for their own factions, I should hope everyone knows this. It's horrible, but it's just how it is. And those that do it, shouldn't be devs, that's my opinion.

But if things have become this bad, that people feel their own OF doesn't get a chance to even discuss when there is changes to their Faction assets, is just sad. Come on, it's not like it's a hard thing to do but check with the 1ic or leaders in general about what you as a dev had planned?

I have absolutely no say in anything and I am just another player, but I feel it's a shame that things have taken a hard turn from listening to their community and just do stuff without their opinion at least.

RE: Story Railroading. - Mark_Brown - 02-07-2022

This isn't how a story dev team should work.

But nobody cares what I think;

Signed ;
Just another official faction leader.

I worked hard with the folks over at Hellfire Legion and Skorak with separatists.

You fail the community as a whole doing this kinda stuff this is not right and it will not be adered too.

#AbandonAnyFutureStoryLine

Let's do our own thing; let npcs shoot npcs cause if you don't care then answer me something?

Why the hell should we?

Bell. US| Lead

RE: Story Railroading. - Lusitano - 02-07-2022

i remember when the Zoner players complain about always being FXXXed, and so many other players laugh and even say" Zoner's tears are delicious" that happened to me a lot and not that long ago ... some of then probably are the ones that are "crying" now !! oh well ... Smile

RE: Story Railroading. - Binski - 02-07-2022

Well since we're on the topic of story railroading, take my recent experience as an example.

I build a POB at Gaia, built after Ft de Bregancon btw, after consumption was turned off for existing POB's. It's a quiet time, a good time to do it, they seem to have thought the same. Apparently my biggest mistake was giving it Hudson's name.

I figure they must have immediately gone to work organizing both player and story effort to prepare for their coming bulldozing of the POB. First, it starts with a magic 'not even requested by the Gaians' event that justifies their one sided decision to remove Gaia as a dockable planet, and as a supply point for both Reinforced Alloy, and Hull Segments. It was nice since it seems to mean that system had a future, and it seemed like it was set up for someone to realize it was there and try to do what I did.

But the sour children didn't agree, they went to work using every means available to have their way. So they succeed at their 'event', but seems someone said they'd have to remove my base first to justify it. Either way, they return and use the very base they just bio-attacked to run a non-stop almost 24/7 siege against my Core 1. And it turns out the Faction head of the Gaians is just a bestie of the devs so they don't even need to request anything, they just converse and it happens. Not only that, but they used the slimiest tactics possible when sieging the base by using its own weapons platform against it, sometimes before attacking it so it would damage it without the shield kicking in. I responded by moving it around as much as possible so they couldn't just AFK siege, and they did when they could, because I could come back after a bit, move it by surprise, and a ship would explode because it was obviously just sitting there. (and is there even a point to filing?).

And really, try telling me someone wasn't telling them what my base supply levels were at. Do you guys even play this game? Or just came to rig everything in your favor and believe a delusion that you are someone in the right or justified?

And now Gaia is not even dockable and ruined, and basically it's like I'm supposed to believe that I triggered it just be doing something period. Otherwise no one would have noticed or done anything and Gaia would still be a dockable planet. All to get big bad me like I did anything to them to warrant it. What did I do other than promote a battle system that would have prevented such things from happening in the first place. No wonder it was so opposed. The dictatorship here much prefers their system, and for obvious reasons.

If you want this place to function, the first thing that must happen is, if you want to be staff, at least devs and Admins, you should probably stop being a player. Otherwise, the story department seems to be the only group of players that really wants the story department to exist at all. We need people who can change infocards, and people who can do write ups, but I'll always say, a fair system to determine what can and can't happen in advance, should be what drives the majority of story here. If done properly, we could have organized conflicts here that would better focus activity and allow for slow, earned changes. If people were having sieges over NPC bases that would only change IFF, not be destroyed, it would not be so brutal. I think that would take the heat off POB owners in a lot of ways, plus Core 1's desperately need more to start with.

So anyways, as far as I'm concerned, for you guys to have done what you did in Edinburgh and get away with it and think its just fine and totally makes sense is completely insane to me. It's like 1984 level doublethink. To me, the Gaian's shouldn't even have destroyers anymore, and should still need to siege more than a Core 1 POB to eliminate a planet from play.

As to the OP topic of the changes to IN, I also found that surprising and wondered if all of this stuff going on is really totally cool or if there is malcontent that basically stays quiet, because we know the forum nowadays is barely even a place where we can have discussions about anything.

As far as I will always say, they throw away opportunities here all the time, and in making major changes to factions, using a system for factions to challenge to simply siege certain NPC bases would create opportunity on both sides to carve out some active purpose at any given time. If you want the IN gone, let the LN go in and take them down one at a time, have a real siege like a POB, either defenders will come and probably hold on to one or more bases, or after a series of real activity, it can be justified they were actually eliminated. Story can work around what happens under the system, and the rest about adding new systems and etc I assume will always come down to votes. But at least with some order there will be a real fair game here. Ironically, the OP further reaffirms that the discord discussion system of driving story is why this place is on an endless spin cycle.

RE: Story Railroading. - Prysin - 02-07-2022

Saronsen has a point.

RE: Story Railroading. - TheDoctorXI - 02-07-2022

Hello all, so I'm weighing in my two cents regarding the recent story development.

First of all, I'll mention that I'm the 2IC of 46th|.

I appreciate that having to contact the various faction leads regarding story developments might be an otherwise inefficient way for devs to actually develop the story, but it's the players that ultimately have to play it all out. There is no harm in asking opinions, taking ideas and maybe actually implementing those that are good, constructive and well thought out.

Sure, purely player driven story may not have worked in the past, but surely some community consultation, input or what have you can't hurt.

So, here we are. Bretonia has apparently sent assets in to Vespucci without Liberty knowing at all and 46th has been a few times to Vespucci and Kansas. There was no heads up from devs that they were going in, just after the fact. No coordination due to this between Liberty Navy and BAF which has lead to BAF apparently getting their tea slapped and only NOW Liberty and BAF are to seek their combined cooperation? Skipped a few steps in the planning process there and instead thrown both parties, frankly even IN| and indies in the deep end, tied up with a lead ball and telling them to float.

Why not could BAF and Liberty be approached before hand? Maybe something to the effect of, "Right, we're planning on eventually having BAF and Liberty Navy work together to tackle the Insurgency. Maybe look at pushing assets in and harassing, then in a few months time, we'll escalate it to a full blown war."

A story is made up of elements, mainly characters, setting, plot, conflict and resolution. Aside from 4.96 Patch 6:
Okay, so a liner full of weapons two patches ago gets blown up. Smuggling is on the increase and law enforcement are failing to stop it. Okay, cool, some hinting but not specifically mentioning any particular group - and then, suddenly, INSURGENCY WAR. Two patches later, with no mention of anything in patch 7. So, where is the actual story? It's gone from a vague, lackluster initial plot straight in to conflict with what seems like very little development between the two.

Where are the characters? How the hell did Bretonia get involved? Do you not think that they might contact Liberty and ask for assistance? Do they not know that they, being Insurgency, are hostile to Liberty and that we would fully support their initial non-existent push in to their home system? What with Liberty being dormant and all. Liberty worked with Bretonia to fight the gauls in open conflict during their war, so why hasn't this been the case leading up to them moving in to Vespucci?

"This foray ended in disaster, however, as the ill-supported BAF flotilla encountered heavier than expected resistance." - This gave me a bit of a giggle, maybe it's just me, but it feels like an ill supported story. Had this been approached and executed properly, there could have been prior coordination between Bretonia and Liberty. An actual iRP encounter for them against Insurgency. The story actually conducted as a story, driven with forumlancing, in game battles, actual RP and outcomes - but instead, this has already happened because a story developer skipped all of that and we're left with the aftermath.

Things need to change, where A+B=C. Not A+B=Z. A story needs to be fluid and this could have been played out so much better had people been contacted, things slowed right down and it actually being thought out.

So, to summarise, we play on a roleplay server where in this particular instance, the only ones who get to RP is the story devs. We, as players, are indeed just along for their ride and there was a great opportunity to have this engage the community, other than to log in and right click.

RE: Story Railroading. - Wolverine518 - 02-07-2022

I concur that this jump from what we had previous to now is a bit of a long jump like if there were a jump gate that went from Ile-de-France to Omicron Gamma what in the actual bad story telling is this?

RE: Story Railroading. - Jeuge - 02-07-2022

Same shit
Different toilet paper

RE: Story Railroading. - monmarfori - 02-08-2022

Let me put a simple opinion on this:

There's always bound to be poor communication between staff and players. You've got players (and devs) with somewhat different mindsets and they have different preferences. And for the most part the wishes of one staff will be received unfavorably by the players.

So the best way is to make ideas that can reach the whole playerbase, just like modern democracies do. A good start would be to create an event in which people can entertain themselves (like the Uncharted ones).

RE: Story Railroading. - Spectre - 02-08-2022

What I find most tragic here is that, despite all the discussion in this thread, and despite all the outcry and concern, this changes absolutely nothing.
Story will continue as it sees fit because they've been handed all the cards. The roleplay environment is dictated by the people with all the power, and all that power is in the hands of people who don't care what others think.

Unless the team actually starts talking with people before things are set in stone about what could be done to make things better, this will eventually end up becoming a wasteland of mundane thoughts and ideas with zombies roaming around shooting each other with fancy engine effects.
Preventing situations like this was the whole reason the DWG existed.