Discovery Gaming Community
The Nomad Lore - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Unofficial Factions and Groups (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+--- Thread: The Nomad Lore (/showthread.php?tid=19467)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

The Nomad Lore - Exile - 05-08-2009

You'll have to pardon us for the fact that we find the actual lore more important than adding small credits. We're going to need your full name (First and last) if we're going to add it.

The Nomad Lore - Klaw117 - 05-09-2009

Yeah, I know that the Lore is far more important. Sorry if I sound like I'm nagging.

And my name is Kevin Law if you ever want to add it.

The Nomad Lore - chovynz - 05-24-2009

' Wrote:Well, really it can mean "The Blue Ones".

The trouble with Za Aoi Ichi is it seems like someone just took each word and translated it individually. "Za" is "the" translated into a Japanese sound, "Aoi" is "blue", and "ichi" is "one" - the number. "Za Aoi Ichi" means "[the] blue number one".

That is a very apt description, I believe. The Blue One, what? The blue one (many). I know it isn't proper Japanese but it fits the idea of nomads very well. It's always been difficult to put the idea of the nomads across correctly, into any language.

The Nomad Lore - Exile - 05-28-2009

Updated version released. (v.120)

Added :
'Sirius under the Nomads'. A short description of the Nomad war.
Extended Hybrid information.
Few fixes.

I'd like to ask the people who know alot about the SP campaign to read 'Sirius under the Nomads'. I personaly don't remember it all too well and would like some further information, espescialy on Bretonia.

The Nomad Lore - Jokoro - 06-22-2009

Excellent work. A fascinating study of what I consider one of the best (if not the best) parts of Freelancer.

The Nomad Lore - Unseelie - 07-01-2009

Ok, so, Hyung Soong's Simplistic Kahara Structure Theory (on page 18)....

I love charts. I understand, sort of, what's going on in this one. But it seems desperately in need of explanations of the nuance.

For instance:
The human rings stack "Mind" far outside of the "Me" ring, and then use both "soul" and "spirit"...I've not the slightest idea what the differentiation between soul and spirit should be, and am just making stuff up when I assume this: Me is a product of a hierarchy of traits, the closer to the Me, the more influence the trait weilds (Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because I'd argue that the mind should be a product of gender, and as such closer to "Me" than gender)

The blue line means what? If it stands for a national attachement..why is the sibling excluded(and enemy included)?

The nomad bit...is even more mystifying.
(also, Polarity and Body are on the same ring)

Why, for instance, does each node have a different interaction with humans? I would have thought only specific specialized castes would have each attitude....

Tables, Charts, Graphs and Graphics all deserve captions. This one....is mystifying without one.

The Nomad Lore - Exile - 07-01-2009

Yeah, that chart confused me at first too. I'll get in contact with Nathan, see if he can re-make it. For now, I'll try to explain it the best I can.

The blue line, I believe, means something like 'Connected through country'.

The two nodes in the Nomad section are there to show the conflict between Caste and Mindshare. For example, the Keeper caste find some kind of tech it finds worthy of retrieval, examination, all that. The Mindshare as a whole however might think differently and overwrite the 'command' to try and retrieve said tech. It could be too dangerous or perhaps just not worth it.

As for the 'Mind-Soul' thing, I'm not realy sure on this one. I'll ask Nathan.

I hope this somewhat helped.

Edit : I'll try to make some sence out of it myself (which is done for about 80%) and incluide an explanation in the next Lore update.

The Nomad Lore - Exile - 07-23-2009

Updated. General cleanup and small aditions.

The Nomad Lore - chovynz - 07-23-2009

' Wrote:Yeah, that chart confused me at first too. I'll get in contact with Nathan, see if he can re-make it. For now, I'll try to explain it the best I can.

The blue line, I believe, means something like 'Connected through country'.

The two nodes in the Nomad section are there to show the conflict between Caste and Mindshare. For example, the Keeper caste find some kind of tech it finds worthy of retrieval, examination, all that. The Mindshare as a whole however might think differently and overwrite the 'command' to try and retrieve said tech. It could be too dangerous or perhaps just not worth it.

As for the 'Mind-Soul' thing, I'm not realy sure on this one. I'll ask Nathan.

I hope this somewhat helped.

Edit : I'll try to make some sence out of it myself (which is done for about 80%) and incluide an explanation in the next Lore update.
I'm not remaking it. It's quite well explanatory of what it is.
It's a human-made study on the relationship-structure of humans to humans, and nomads to nomads to humans. Both of them explain the differences.

And Mike, If you're going to explain things to the general public, YOU need to understand it first.
There is no conflict between nomads. Never has been in roleplay. "Conflict between Caste and Mindshare" is bullcrap.
The only problems we had was that humans are flying aliens pretending there is no differences between them and everything is shared.
Which in reality is it not, due to human stupidity/error. I really hope you are not RPing a conflict, and that you mixed up your words just there.

It's basic human psychology and my theory on nomad psychology.
Sorry. I can't! make it any simpler than that. If people don't understand it then they need to study more.
I spent a long long time researching that. Yuri accepted it. People need to either learn it understand it or
stop playing nomads. Ask Titan if you want tips.

The Nomad Lore - komet - 07-23-2009

' Wrote:Updated. General cleanup and small aditions.

Cool! It's good to see that this hasn't been forgotten about, I think a lot of players with a trial Nomad will appreciate this piece of work and the fact that it is still being updated.