Discovery Gaming Community
The way you are - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: The way you are (/showthread.php?tid=22639)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

The way you are - Montezuma/Kukulcan - 07-02-2009

People should just realize the roles of the ships they command (i.e only using a BS against other caps, not fighters), and respect someone who says 'back off, we have it covered'.

But, this will probably go on no matter who gets pissed off at them for it, shame really...

The way you are - underd0g - 07-02-2009

Ok this is going to hurt the eyes and brains of the server admins and other people - but here goes:

Fleeing

- or -

Retreating.

Two different things. Fleeing is what you do when you've run out of options. Flee or 'die'. Retreating is a tactical manouver - fall back and assess the situation, regroup.

Fleeing is seen as an act of cowardice by many. And the server rules makes that clear to you - fleeing is almost equally as bad as getting your behind handed to you. Actually, you most likely will get your behind handed to you if you turn tail and run.

In my (narrow?) mind fleeing should be a more valid option in battle. Sure, be forced to leave the system where the fight took place in is an agreeable rule. But why not bend it a bit? Leave the zone / grid where the fight took place in, fall back to a friendly base in the system. Re-engaging rules still being in effect. You could remain in the system, roleplaying instead of pew-pewing. Retreat with some pride left. You could lure your previous attackers into a well set up trap with yourself as the bait.

In short, what I'm saying is: four hours is too much. And fleeing should not be regarded as losing.

But above all I'm with you all on the problem with the 'unbalanced' encounters ('ganking' is such an ugly word...). But I doubt there's much to do about it - humans will be humans. The whole flock mentality bit etcetera.

The way you are - Turkish - 07-02-2009

' Wrote:How do we change people though if they dont talk to us or they simply refuse to change?

(2,000th post)

You don't change them, you change yourself. Rethink your approach, change your tactics, and if that doesn't work. You ignore them.

It isn't easy, it isn't fun, but it is a solution that persistently accomplishes what it sets out to do.

The way you are - Benjamin - 07-02-2009

Gotta say, this problem might actually be more localised than you think. I've never ganked someone to my knowledge, and never been ganked (except for when my hessian goes to gamma, but I'm pretty sure the point of going to gamma IS to get ganked, and see how long you can stay alive for). I've sat out of fights to balance them, but it's never been a 'jeez guys way to go overboard!' thing, it always comes out of a discussion in group or something, where we decide however many of us should sit it out.
But I think the main reason for this is that I don't have an Outcast, Corsair, Bounty Hunter, Order or Liberty char. Not exactly sure why stuff localises around those guys like it does, but there you go.

It can also be a problem RP wise. I mean, the concept of not ganking, whilst I definitely approve of it, is oorp. I mean it's okay for a cap to be all "Five minutes of fuel from me costs more than that entire ship" or whatever, but if you're in 7 fighters and you run in to 3, it can be pretty hard to make convincing excuses after the first few times, when you know that realistically you should all be engaging.
That said, it does tend to be the people who care the least about RP that jump in on the ganks, so I guess that's not really a problem.

But yeah, some players will just do anything to win. Gank, cherry pick guns with, at best, cursory respect to RP, shoot wings off their ships, whatever. Bad eggs. They know who they are and they know what they're doing. We can show new players that that's not a good way to be, but feels like you can't get the ones who are choosing to be like that.

The way you are - Weedalot - 07-02-2009

' Wrote:You don't change them, you change yourself. Rethink your approach, change your tactics, and if that doesn't work. You ignore them.

It isn't easy, it isn't fun, but it is a solution that persistently accomplishes what it sets out to do.
in the long run true.
i would like to point out again. That this thread needs to be locked until Turkish advice will be taken sinuously by all involved parties. and when it does there wont be a need for that post.

The way you are - Enojado - 07-02-2009

The post that used to be here served no purpose in this thread and is thus removed.

The way you are - Cellulanus - 07-02-2009

Note to self, when flying a BS just sit in one spot and only shoot people who are wander into my weapons range.

The way you are - Tic - 07-02-2009

' Wrote:Tic. It's not relevant, because I'm talking about a far bigger picture. You are not the centre of this. Let. Go.

Of course i'm not in the centre of this, but i'm annoyed because this started, because Ench got raped, then went crying to LN and quit, so you got pissed and made this thread. Even if you wont admit it yourself, you know it's true. And what pisses me here is that you made this without knowing what really happened, and you did blame me for this, even though you did not name me, i still know that you do blame me and that is what i do care about.

The way you are - Jihadjoe - 07-02-2009

' Wrote:<snipped>

People can change, and this one has. If someone can say this, then take what they say in game and act on it, then I'm happy.

Tic. I don't think you're seeing this. This is an ongoing problem. If I were pissed about that, then I'd go and sort it out with you and ench and the various people involved in it. But I'm not. I'm looking at something far larger. So please Tic, keep this out of it now.

The way you are - Weedalot - 07-02-2009

strange i was sure i was ranting here about meta gammers. somehow its not there *scratches head*
WHY OH WHY?! Dont you want to hear my nice story? its always fun to laugh together and not whine