Discovery Gaming Community
Recreating the Phantoms? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Recreating the Phantoms? (/showthread.php?tid=68481)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Recreating the Phantoms? - Jeremy Hunter - 11-18-2011

I'm scared with the idea of a Reaver base like that for some reason.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Dusty Lens - 11-18-2011

' Wrote:I'm scared with the idea of a Reaver base like that for some reason.

The primary Phoom base isn't in a very good location to craft a Merc haven. Which is what we'd do if someone dropped those kinds of resources in our lap.

Secondary Phoom base might be nice. But, eh, tbh it's in a somewhat sensitive location in regards to various regional powers and might spawn some Q_Q. But it's not like there aren't about 232819381290 Freeports out there as well.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Crysis - 11-18-2011

New Roleplay Base Entirely ya? Get a few people together (chosen by the admins or developers) create a background to it, and present it to the team, see how its taken? I personally think it was awesome, the presence of a Phantom. (Screw its roleplay, create a new one) slightly edit ships if they really were taken from elsewhere... Im an imaginary/idea filled box ready to explode tbh:P

Recreating the Phantoms? - Dusty Lens - 11-18-2011

Most people who want to run the Phantoms do so out of a desire to embark on a vanity project. Somewhat curiously those same persons often embark on Mercenary adventures. The reality of the situation is rather more frustrating than the initial promises of good times suggests.

The Phooms of the day lacked any kind of struggle or motive. They were formed as boogie men working as an effective tool of intimidation, giving frights to random persons with occasional encounters in addition to occasionally scouring trouble areas.

Things went rather to pot when the leadership caste seemed to lose its motivation, the internal system turned to one of collecting blues and things generally backslid for a long 'ol time.

A rebooted Phantom faction, I feel, would be best served by returning to its initial purpose. There's no room for a rebooted Phantom faction in current discovery. Random terrorist with absurd motives are the halmark of yesteryear. Our current factions are too well fleshed out, the universe too well explored. There's no need or reason for a weird dynamic to be added in there.

I do, however, feel that there is room for boogiemen. I'm not sure how well one could conjure the players to make it effectively happen. Many of the old Phantom crew devolved into proxies of their parent factions or used their phooms to make murders on persons whom they disdained.

Maybe it'll happen again someday. But it's not going to happen anytime soon and it's certainly not going to happen with an idea for marvelous roleplay. At the core of nearly every similar idea you'll find, large and swinging, an unseemly epeen begging for attention.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Crysis - 11-18-2011

Pm'd. True, needs alot of work and not simply anyone can wish to play the overpowered super equipped phantom faction. Which we all feared at sight, dared not speak to or interact with for fear of being instakilled, however there wasnt much to it besides that, cus you got no feedback from them or players on what was going on with them, they were a shadowed/forgotten figure which no one even remembered, even those playing it.:P

-Pr0 RP required yes K?

Recreating the Phantoms? - onca - 11-18-2011

The Phantoms was the best faction populated by the best damn RP'ers on the server... back in '07. At that time things were far less stringent and regimented than they are today. Players also got into the spirit of being terrified by the mere sight of these weird boogiemen.

But after a while The Phantoms' became the server's punching bags... both in-game and in-forum. Any encounter became a free pass to PvP for every lulzpwnz0r ... "I KILLD A PHANTM !!1!!11!!111" At the same time they got ripped on constantly for being PvP whores as well as a closed club for admin players.

Phantom's time has come and gone.

Back to Tenacity's original idea... it has a lot of merit, but I must be missing something. It's a faction that: Will have completely different RP to Phantoms, will have different motivations, and a different name. So I don't get it, why dredge up Phantoms at all?

Recreating the Phantoms? - lw'nafh - 11-19-2011

' Wrote:The Phantoms was the best faction populated by the best damn RP'ers on the server... back in '07. At that time things were far less stringent and regimented than they are today. Players also got into the spirit of being terrified by the mere sight of these weird boogiemen.

But after a while The Phantoms' became the server's punching bags... both in-game and in-forum. Any encounter became a free pass to PvP for every lulzpwnz0r ... "I KILLD A PHANTM !!1!!11!!111" At the same time they got ripped on constantly for being PvP whores as well as a closed club for admin players.

Phantom's time has come and gone.

Back to Tenacity's original idea... it has a lot of merit, but I must be missing something. It's a faction that: Will have completely different RP to Phantoms, will have different motivations, and a different name. So I don't get it, why dredge up Phantoms at all?
> mfw people are silly enough to think he's still going to use the Phantom archetype.
> :DDDDDDDDD

I believe what he, and most others have suggested is simply re-purposing the bases and equipment that's currently left doing nothing. Not remaking a PHANTOM faction.

Why does everyone get so butthurt over that?

Recreating the Phantoms? - Tenacity - 11-19-2011

Quote:I believe what he, and most others have suggested is simply re-purposing the bases and equipment that's currently left doing nothing. Not remaking a PHANTOM faction.

Why does everyone get so butthurt over that?

Exactly that, I'm not suggesting that the phantoms exist again, just that we put their bases and ships and equipment to some other use.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Crysis - 11-19-2011

And im willing to put forward sufficient roleplay in order to get that working smoothly with the cooperation of others.:)If people want to...

Recreating the Phantoms? - Blighter - 11-21-2011

' Wrote:Exactly that, I'm not suggesting that the phantoms exist again, just that we put their bases and ships and equipment to some other use.

I think the reason was that we're not the only server using this mod and that they do afterall exist elsewhere?