Discovery Gaming Community
New admins needed? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: New admins needed? (/showthread.php?tid=7298)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

New admins needed? - Xoria - 03-29-2008

' Wrote:Forget voting.
However, if Angels keep getting new members they had better not keep using OOC in system.
No, that was not a joke. It happened while we were on LPI.
Stop staring at me, I'm not kidding!
----------------------------------------
Yes, I just said an Angel used OOC in system, and then when I did what I could to combat it in-RP (as far as RP is concerned, opening a message with '//' can be considered rude or at least bad form, yes?), and got another OOC reply. In system. Not too hard to take to PMs, no? Pah.
You said it yourself : "Not too hard to take to PMs, no? Pah."
So why didn't you take this in a PM to Caylith who heads up the Angels instead of dragging their name through the mud publicly? Instead you proceed to publicly scold an entire group of people for the alleged mistake of one, and do it in the same manner that you claim is so outrageous when committed on the server.
I find your hypocrisy here far more discrediting and distasteful than someone's supposed ooc server transgression.
So follow your own advice, and take it to PMs yourself.

New admins needed? - Niezck - 03-29-2008

' Wrote:You said it yourself : "Not too hard to take to PMs, no? Pah."
So why didn't you take this in a PM to Caylith who heads up the Angels instead of dragging their name through the mud publicly? Instead you proceed to publicly scold an entire group of people for the alleged mistake of one, and do it in the same manner that you claim is so outrageous when committed on the server.
I find your hypocrisy here far more discrediting and distasteful than someone's supposed ooc server transgression.
So follow your own advice, and take it to PMs yourself.

OK Xoria, i have to contradict you here a bit. I've seen atleast 4 of said faction going against aforementioned rule. I won't say who and you can flame me all you like for mentioning it here. I don't have a problem with it personally as they are there to help new players.

New admins needed? - Fellow Hoodlum - 03-29-2008

Now this is going the wrong way too, isn't it ? Any more of this, and *chubb mode* gets enabled here ...
EVERYONE take it to PMs in future, or I will have something to say about it.

Hoodlum

New admins needed? - Carlos_Benitez - 03-29-2008

IMO, if the admins don't have the time to do anything other than admin work while they're online, the work isn't delegated between enough people. It's all well and good to say things are fine as they are while the few admins make a heroic and backbreaking effort to keep things afloat.
I'm sure if you devoted huge amounts of your time voluntarily to a cause you'd like to have some time left over to enjoy the fruits of your labour.
We're all agreed that the admins currently do a great job, and a larger group would probably not do it much better, but their would not be so much pressure and workload placed on individuals.
You can prevent a policing organisation from seeming like an elitist club by keeping identities seperate (ie. your police name is different to all your character names and you don't tell anyone what it is). This also helps to prevent abuse, as police have to be objective and un-biassed in order to maintain their anonymity.

Feel free to moan at me for expressing my opinion.

New admins needed? - Magoo! - 03-29-2008

I agree that this is a pointless thread. Both for the fact that a new one probably wont get elected if this thread had any weight behind it, and because we don't need any more.

New admins needed? - Qunitinius~Verginix - 03-29-2008

' Wrote:That we are in need of more Administrators is not in question, as I see it, it's been obvious from the start. Oh, and to my knowledge, Namechanges are the sole responsibility of Majkp; I think most of the server-related stuff is. However, looking at the forums you will find that there are few, if any, decent prospects.

What we DO need more of, and desperately, are Moderators (and I have a few candidates in mind). Things have been getting a little wild here, and right now the only Mods we have are basically the Administrators when they're not busy being Admins (which is very time-consuming in and of itself, and a difficult thing if you intend to have a 'life'. Whatever the hell that is).

We need some of the current mods *cough* to be given access to the forums that need it the most. ie. Flood and General Discussion.

I also think we need more admins.

Verg

New admins needed? - SovietDiplomacy - 03-30-2008

i also believe we need some new admins, to get a bit of verity to help solve difficult problems so they arnt so quickly judged on, makes things become more accurate when you got people with enough time to actually look into things rather then jump to conclusions.

New admins needed? - Angelfire - 03-30-2008

ok.. i am one of the Angels...

I am more than likely a ooc culprit in NY as I sometimes hit /s instead of /g when I'm answering in a hurry.

usually it is followed bt a //woops

but that aside.

When more than one or two people asks a question at the same time, it can be difficult to remember who asked what and where as the chat screen can literally roll green...

So sometimes I will try to RP the answer in system chat, especially if it's an answer that won't spoil the discovering vibe.

If anyone feels we are OOC or out of line in any way, just PM us immediately.

We took the role of Angels because we want to help, so just let us know if you feel we are counter productive and we'll heed your notice!

On the subject of more admins required, thats their call.

Personally i think that we have enough disco vets playing the game to have the influence that matters!

If some of you threw that bitching and complaining energy of yours into being an example to new players instead of wearing your condescension on your sleeve, this would already be a better place!

He with a clean conscience has a very weak memory!

When i arrived here a while back, I had no clue what ooc and rp was... it took me a week to find Xoria's post and understand it nicely.

Flying through the systems lately, watching how some of you 'RP' wizards handle the ignorant has tempted me to 'walk away', your lack of patience and speed to judgement is unfair to say the least.

At one point we were all noobs! Never forget that!
Once you know how things work, if you want them to behave a certain way, it's YOUR responsiblity as much as it is the Admins or the Angels to help people know the rules and RP of the server!

This is a COMMUNITY! A close knit 'team', if those who know better just do their parts to help someone here and there, the Load will automatically lift off the Admins!

My apologies if it's a bit soapboxish, I mean this all in the kindest possible light.

New admins needed? - SovietDiplomacy - 03-30-2008

Anglefire your post deserves praise, as it is perfectly true, the "vets" of the game should be there to lend a helping hand yto new folk, myself. ive played the game less then 60 hours, and have been sanctioned twice.

once was unjust.

the second was a accident,

but as ive learned in my limited time here is that people are fast to step on you if you don't play perfect in your first moments here. i have tried to reason with he admins but that doesnt seem to work as they will take the word of the "vet" over anything a new person can possibly say.

i even try to ask a simple question as to whats going on, and people crucify me for it and all i get back is them not wanting to break there" RP" for a single second if you can call it that at times.

in games that i have played for years i try to help people and show them how to play, it is a shame there are not more people like this here at discovery, a game that seems more for the "elite" then anyone else.

but im not saying thats how everyone is. just 90% of them and of course if the players where to help more, there would be far less need for admins, especially if you dont bring up every little detailed mistake a new guy makes to them. as far as I've learned, the admins are merely the weapons of revenge form the elite.

and this will probably just be called ranting and criticized by the elites, when all i want is to show my point of view, as a noob to the game.

New admins needed? - Exile - 03-30-2008

Maybe the reason why you werent getting all the help you need/needed, is because of your attitude. If you blame the so called "elites" of everything, people will automaticlly start to dislike you, thus help you less.

Edit : Allso, keep in mind that, the "elites", are allso here to play the game not to help people out continiously. Personally, i help when some one asks. And i think that go's for alot of people here. But, everyone needs their share of fun.