Discovery Gaming Community
Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid (/showthread.php?tid=109540)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Mímir - 01-10-2014

I agree but there is an abundance of "remove" and "delete" threads at the moment, and I think they aren't really going to change anything so I'm just looking for a practical way to go about things if ever in the situation of wanting to blow up a random hostile base.

If all it takes is telling defenders "hey guys we're shooting your base" on the forum or in game only when it is actually in any sort of danger of blowing up then it is ok really in my opinion.

You could be creative with it if no one shows in game, send a transmission as if it is a sensor relay near the base picking up heavy hostile activity and transmitting that to the base owners - it doesn't have to be "Hello Sirs, we're shooting at you" because that is nonsensical, you are right.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Daedric - 01-11-2014

(01-10-2014, 07:39 PM)Highland Laddie Wrote:
Quote:(same as the rule that forces you to tell an enemy pilot you're going to shoot them) creates and artificial step in the process of role play. It goes against what role play is (both rules do). This is because actually contacting your enemy to tell them you're going to blow up their ship is (most of the time) not what your character would do and thus not in role play. Yet, this is called a role play server?

Technically, does this RP have to be in the form of your character informing the opposing force that you are going to kill them? What about an RP forum post in which you, as leader of a group, informs the rest of your group that you will be attacking enemy base X? This is precursory RP ahead of an attack, and certainly not oorp informing someone you're about to kill them.

So...it would seem if that's acceptable, then you just have to start thinking outside the narrow interpretation of that.

I agree, if it is merely a post in your message dump of your intention then it isn't out of character for you to do so. However, why force players to jump an artificial wall just to role play? Hopefully to catch a few arse hats?

(01-10-2014, 07:44 PM)Mímir Wrote: I agree but there is an abundance of "remove" and "delete" threads at the moment, and I think they aren't really going to change anything so I'm just looking for a practical way to go about things if ever in the situation of wanting to blow up a random hostile base.

If all it takes is telling defenders "hey guys we're shooting your base" on the forum or in game only when it is actually in any sort of danger of blowing up then it is ok really in my opinion.

You could be creative with it if no one shows in game, send a transmission as if it is a sensor relay near the base picking up heavy hostile activity and transmitting that to the base owners - it doesn't have to be "Hello Sirs, we're shooting at you" because that is nonsensical, you are right.

The problem is now you're forcing people to use the forums whereas that has never been the case before.

My problem isn't merely this rule. It is the fact that this is not a RP server. The rules force you to be out of role play every time you interact with another player who might be hostile.

I know it was the goal of the admin team when Gheis and Stygian were active and admins to try to remove rules and replace them with game mechanics. This would both lower the admin's work load and foster RP. One of the biggest turn offs of playing here is the number of artificial walls, barriers, and rules that make little sense, break immersion, and break actual role play.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - teschy - 01-11-2014

OP is basically saying "RP is stupid" while posting on the boards of a roleplay gaming community. Okay.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Highland Laddie - 01-11-2014

@Daedric - yes...it may be an extra hurdle...but the fact of the matter is there ARE arse hats out there, and then you got the ones who may not be outright trolls, but will look for any kind of loophole to try to get around a rule.

So what? Folks don't want to take a few minutes to develop some RP to allow them to attack a base? Well, then perhaps someone that lazy should face a consequence for being part of the problem.

Until there IS some kind of in-game mechanic that would take care.of this.problem (dunno what that would be), I'm fine with this.rule.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - dirmaster0 - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 02:38 AM)teschy Wrote: OP is basically saying "RP is stupid" while posting on the boards of a roleplay gaming community. Okay.

So true.
My vote is for RP >.>

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Lythrilux - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 02:38 AM)teschy Wrote: OP is basically saying "RP is stupid" while posting on the boards of a roleplay gaming community. Okay.

Not at all, I'm simply saying that there's holes in needing to RP to blow up a base, in terms of common sense.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Zen_Mechanics - 01-11-2014

Player owned base is part of the game experience, it is not a mechanism that can just simply be altered/destroyed for the sake of community cohesion. Rather allow any individual or a group to act as long as they follow the premedicated guidelines.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Jose Benitez - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 10:15 AM)Lythrilux Wrote:

Not at all, I'm simply saying that there's holes in needing to RP to blow up a base, in terms of common sense.

But there are no holes in having to RP with a player in an enemy snub before you blow them up?

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Deatlev - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 10:47 AM)Tel-Aviv Wrote: Player owned base is part of the game experience, it is not a mechanism that can just simply be altered/destroyed for the sake of community cohesion. Rather allow any individual or a group to act as long as they follow the premedicated guidelines.

I agree, this is about the most thing that makes any sense in this thread.

RE: Needing RP to kill a base is stupid - Lythrilux - 01-11-2014

(01-11-2014, 10:54 AM)Jose Benitez Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 10:15 AM)Lythrilux Wrote:

But there are no holes in having to RP with a player in an enemy snub before you blow them up?

What? You tell me, I'm not saying there are holes in RPing with snubs.
Making a quick comparison, a player ship can offer you something back in terms of interaction. A player base does not offer me anything back if I begin to talk to it in game. If I shoot it, it pulls it's shields up, which I guess could count as a reaction, rather than an interaction.
I'm not going to explain the holes I talk about, as it's all in the OP.