Discovery Gaming Community
Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Cultural minorities in the Sirius (/showthread.php?tid=119450)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Syf - 08-26-2014

Odd.. I didn't even know about Nuntii Latini.. yet I live here.
Welp. Unsocial features at it's best.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Pvt.Pirate - 08-26-2014

the sleepership's inhabitants' grandchildren who would actually want to seperate themselves from the main group to form a new "nation" based on the country on earth would be almost like wanting to revive an old greek townstate with the ancient Greek language, clothing etc.
they would form such a small minority, that they were bound to fail.
as i stated, i am not sure about what exactly was the situation before the great war, but to me it looked as if there were only those big houses left, that might mean they either annihilated or conquered the other nations or they united under their government whatsoever. so maybe gallia, or the left behind coalition had africa.
also it seems they couldnt possibly send everyone away in the sleeper-ships, so many people just got left behind (the light and heavy fighters in the intromovie)

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Mímir - 08-26-2014

Ye, but isn't it odd that only regions with predominantly caucasians (save for the Kusari sleeper ship) managed to build sleeper ships? Or alternatively that all the countries with non-caucasians belong to the axis of evil (Coalition)? It's a racist game. I think Hone made a thread about it once. I mean, there's a ship for the British, one for the Germans and one for the French (disco addition, but still), but China, India and other regions with far, far, far more inhabitants were neglected. There's a clear-cut eurocentric focus.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - WesternPeregrine - 08-26-2014

First, it's a game made on the year 2000, picking the worldview of 1988/89 (or earlier), and transplanting it to a 2 centuries ahead future. Think of the implications of that.

As I recall, the alliance and the coalition members where the only political blocs which had spacetravel capability. The alliance was simply a NATO carbon copy, in which each of the major powers commanded it's own fleet, and coordinated their efforts through the Alliance High Command. At the middle of the game, the Alliance evolves into a fully political entity, in which it's members cornered in Neptune and beyond decide to form an unified government and elect a president (source: Alliance conflict news clips.).

Sure, other minor powers must be present in space also, but they were probably integrated into international squadrons (the 45th Tigers for example), or had a closer working relationship with one of the Major powers.
Incidentally, the Italy and France were some of these space faring countries, which were the ones that were practically wiped out (their fleets) in the events of the opening movie of Starlancer. Their surviving assets are most likely absorbed into Alliance's bases and unified fleet command.

-------------

On the Coalition side, as previously mentioned, you have (Soviet) Russia, China, And an undefined Arab Alliance representing all the middle east. I personally don't recall India belonging in it, (India was part of the 3rd way in the Cold War, and probably still not that impressive in 2000.)

Unified by the ideology of the coalition (which was just a "bad commie" representation, not much depth built there), they were represented in the names of the squadrons and cruisers.

I can recall the CS-Ksar, Ramses, Kirov and Kamov Cruisers, Basilisk , Saracens fighters, The Balck Guard, Al-Rahan, the Angel of Death and the red Dragon Aces, and so on.

----------------

Would be good if anyone could find a compilation of the ingame news clips, as those provide a wealth of information regarding the scenario of starlancer. The ship and squadron database too.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - /// Drake /// - 08-26-2014

(08-26-2014, 11:37 AM)WPeregrine Wrote: First, it's a game made on the year 2000, picking the worldview of 1988/89 (or earlier), and transplanting it to a 2 centuries ahead future.

This. Hypothetical history is such a waste of time. Nobody has a valid argument as everything is based off things that have not happened or subjective ideas.

Or am I being too cynical?

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Slappy - 08-26-2014

(08-26-2014, 08:35 AM)Mímir Wrote: Also it's a super racist game. Africa? No sleeper ship for you, guys Tongue

Don't worry bro, the movement has begun.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Fluffyball - 08-26-2014

Well, we have Irish in Mollys, this is why this question. Same with Golden Chrysantemums, because it clearly ressembled Chinese (with all that martiarchy stuff, google: Wu Zetian). I would swear GC held Chinese names in vanilia, as I mentioned before.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Pvt.Pirate - 08-26-2014

having some culture left over in the future is absolutely legit, but having groups that separate from the main house because of "their deviant culture" is most unlikely. still any russian, polish, czech or bulgarian name in rheinland would be legit too.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Zed26 - 08-26-2014

Here's a playlist (not mine) of the Starlancer cutscenes, briefings, and news broadcasts.

RE: Cultural minorities in the Sirius - Pvt.Pirate - 08-27-2014

well, another thought is that only the richest regions could afford such a ship.
i don't want to go intopolitical discussions, but to be honest: all our whealth in the rich countries comes from tricking other countries into selling their minerals or oil and all other products way too cheap to us.
as things go on, this might lead to those regions not being able to afford a sleeper ship.