Discovery Gaming Community
Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Smugglers and Mooring Rings (/showthread.php?tid=12058)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - jammi - 09-17-2008

I'm fully behind this idea. This would help with the Crete/Malta situation as well. I mean, I've had an Outcast IFFed Facualta flee all the way from the Malvada cloud to dock on Crete. Before you say "It's your fault you didn't catch him," think about it. Outcast - Biggest enemy of the Corsair nation, you'd radio ahead and tell them to lock the mooring clamps on the docking points, or if he did land the locals would lynch him. Oh wait... I just realised that was the docking ring, not the mooring point:wacko:My bad.

Anyway, it's the same for Adv. Trains hauling passengers, well most anyway, I've seen some decent RP from some passenger runners, but not many. A way around the neutral docking points would be to make them like the trade lanes.

If you shot a trade lane in Vanilla, it would turn red and the locals would start blasting, however if you shoot them now, it just disables the lane with no other effect. What's to stop the same being done for the mooring ring?

And for the argument that this thread has got snarled up in - It's not just Liberty that deals with smugglers! Drop it!

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Divine - 09-17-2008

GoodDay community,...

and again, iam not going to read all your stuff here, just deploying my opinion to the topic:
So,,,:

- I like the idea of destructable anchors to avoid instant speed docking from smugglers, traders, pirates,,, just everyone who dont want to stop when asked before landing.

- Yus, police didnt do their work right, especially in Liberty...,,, come on LPI and LN and all lawfulls in Liberty... iam running also the Cardamine-Slave run (Alpha to Texas) and never was stopped or even scanned by one of yours. Texas seem to be death (empty of police) all the day, it is a paradise for every smuggler, and when seeing police-men on lrs there, i normally dock at the freeport in Bering and wait till they are gone (just wait some mins, go drink a coffee^^, or switching chars and play at the other end of Sirius till the police-men are gone)

- All in all, i love the basic idea of this.

- And to the police-men: Others said it before, when you just hang around in front of the planet, and wait and wait and wait, ,,,, well, if you like this kind of gaming then enjoy.

That's all. Out.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - ScornStar - 09-17-2008

' Wrote:Well, I think the planetary surface thing is fine and dandy, but everyone here seems to be forgetting the mooring fixtures exist because the large transports can't land due to physical complications, like not being able to escape the planet's gravity. Due to this, they have to moor outside the planet's atmosphere, and use a Heavy Lifter to unload their individual cargo pods in space and transfer them to other, smaller ships in order to move the goods to the surface of the planet.

Now, then, why would the police allow for that situation to happen when they clearly know that the ship insert ship's designation here is a smuggler? Furthermore, even if a smuggler is in a smaller ship, what is keeping an officer of the law from locking down the entire landing pad, knowing that insert ship's designation here has a cargo comprised almost completely of class 1 narcotics? Or Artifacts that have been "Proven" to be dangerous to Human life?

I just don't see it...

Also, the Liberty Officials do leave Manhattan's Orbit. I see them quite often in California and Texas...

EDIT: And that all means I'm all for this improvement.

I disagree for a few points.

One I bet there is more than one landing pad. After all we have more than one air strip in every nation now. I would think on a planetary level there would be more. Exspecially since a Starflier is cheaper than a car.

I can see my heavy Tanker land on the pads and my Zoner Juggernaught when I had one. I also see they dont ever touch the ground and instead "sit" on a Grav cushion.

I believe these large ships can land on the surface. After all it seems to me that the people of Surius have mastered artifical gravity and thus gravity manipulation.

As further evidence of this I say look at all the ships. Reguardless of size, and thruster quantity they all move the same speed.

It seems they use contra grav drives and the "thrusters" are meerly engine exhaust for the reactors.

Additionally when a ship has killed it's engine it is able to drift, yet while the engine is on you cannot drift and always come to a halt. So this seems to indicate that while the engine is on we have inertial dampeners.
Sort of a gravity nulifier.

CDs seem to stop drifting as it forces a hard reboot of the engines, thus disableing the criuse engines as well. ENgines being rebooted means grav field gets re established.

I also think of the smuggler ID as a hack. Something that "lies" or scrambles a docking rings IFF reader. After all we would not find truckers with smugglers IDs in thier wallets on the boarder of any nation. So, in RP Smugglers should be treated as neutral by all untill they do something unlawful and even then they compuerter may be fooled.

As for catching smugglers patrol your boarders. America has boarder patrol on the boarder not in Los Angeles.

Disruptable moors and rings? Cool but there have been some good questions brought up. I dont have the answer for them, cept report OOC landings. Smugglers should be able to land anywhere, (and look like anyone). Thats what they do.

Disruptable jump holes, YES! YES! YES! YES! and stations.

But I think fixed stations and docking rings should have more powerful guns on them. Like the battleships are deadly to hang around for too long even in a gunboat.

Now I got to keep reading I did not past the post I responded too.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - ScornStar - 09-17-2008

' Wrote:Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong direction.
If someone performs a criminal act and for whatever reason is not able to be apprehended at that time, what would the lawful organization do?
Create a listing of individuals that are to be apprehended.

Simple layout

1. Pending issuance of a warrant.
Proof of the criminal action has been submitted to the House controlling the area it occured in.
This part is just the "paperwork" side of things that should promote interaction with different groups.

2. Outstanding warrant for arrest.
The criminal is now actively hunted. This is a 1 kill only situation which is to simulate the smugglers capture.

3. Criminal captured.
This can represent a history as to the number of times a smuggler has been caught.
Kinda like a rap sheet.

There should be 4 warrant areas, 1 for each House.
Any Lawful can act on any warrant and after capture the criminal is just waiting extridiction to the House that issued the warrant.

Now this has the possibility to be extended further into some RP event where the smugglers are transported to someplace like Huntsville. During this time unlawfuls could attempt to "free" the smugglers.

//Signed

This would give a BHG a list to work off of. Like a bondsmen. Heck even smuggleing prisoners off of these planets to Pirate bases can be RPed as rescueing prisoners. Picking them up slated for one station and dropping them off to freedom instead.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - dr lameos - 09-17-2008

Quote:Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong direction.
If someone performs a criminal act and for whatever reason is not able to be apprehended at that time, what would the lawful organization do?

Simple layout

Proof of the criminal action has been submitted to the House controlling the area it occured in.
This part is just the "paperwork" side of things that should promote interaction with different groups.

The criminal is now actively hunted. This is a 1 kill only situation which is to simulate the smugglers capture.

3. Criminal captured.
This can represent a history as to the number of times a smuggler has been caught.
Kinda like a rap sheet.

Any Lawful can act on any warrant and after capture the criminal is just waiting extridiction to the House that issued the warrant.

Now this has the possibility to be extended further into some RP event where the smugglers are transported to someplace like Huntsville. During this time unlawfuls could attempt to "free" the smugglers.

I prefer this idea...
And I like the idea of unlawfuls being arrested. BUT, they should only be able to be arrested in the house they commited a crime - for example, if someone thieves in germany we wouldn't hunt for him in the UK.

As houses are at war, Those caught commiting crimes in Bretonia would actually be thanked in Kusari.

This should apply to Bounty Hunters aswell, they're already too much like Sirius-wide police, let them police when given permission ONLY, and if theres a bounty on a smuggler, it should only be collected in the house the crime took place.

Also, what i haven't understood is why Liberty is against people bringing them goods from Rheinland?? Rheinland would be against that... and the total opposite is also true.

It should be like the Kusari/Bretonia Embargo, its illegal to move those goods towards the taus, not to move them away. The embargo is not there to harm your own house's trade, but the enemy's.

Therefore, taking anything towards Bering or Hudson is illegal, but not bringing them out of those systems.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Dieter Schprokets - 09-17-2008

/signed

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - dr lameos - 09-18-2008

What are you agreeing with:
the quote?
Some of what I said?
all of what i said including the quote?
Or what someone else said

good that you agree with something... but what?! :wacko:

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Baltar - 09-18-2008

@ Sky Jocky: Dito regarding goin round. There are those on both sides of the law who don't get it. I just don't wanna be lumped in with them simply because I sneak past the LPI.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - waddoff - 09-18-2008

' Wrote:Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong direction.

Simple layout

3. Criminal captured.
Kinda like a rap sheet.

Unfortuanately, not everyone reads the forums, nor have the brainspan to remember such a long list. You would have to check the list everytime a suspcious figure shows up. And even so, if I found some smuggler with a warrent for their arrest, I still couldn't stop them. They'd just escape regardless.
None the less, it is a good idea, and I agree it should happen. But I don't think it's a solution to this particular problem.

Smugglers and Mooring Rings - Raekur - 09-18-2008

' Wrote:I prefer this idea...
And I like the idea of unlawfuls being arrested. BUT, they should only be able to be arrested in the house they commited a crime - for example, if someone thieves in germany we wouldn't hunt for him in the UK.

If he blew up a train in Germany he would. Its a matter of the scope of the crime.
Slave running is not the same as robbing the local gas station.

' Wrote:This should apply to Bounty Hunters aswell, they're already too much like Sirius-wide police, let them police when given permission ONLY, and if theres a bounty on a smuggler, it should only be collected in the house the crime took place.

Guess you missed step 1. That is the part that grants permission for the individual to be actively hunted.

' Wrote:Also, what i haven't understood is why Liberty is against people bringing them goods from Rheinland?? Rheinland would be against that... and the total opposite is also true.

I suspect this has something to do with the actions of 522 and the response by Rheinland.
I have not seen anything in the Liberty thread explaining it. But might have missed it.