Discovery Gaming Community
Nomad technology and distances in Sirius (renamed) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Nomad technology and distances in Sirius (renamed) (/showthread.php?tid=129079)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Nomad technology and distances in Sirius (renamed) - Char Aznable - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:07 PM)Crackling Wrote: How can you travel faster than light in lanes, if, as I remember, there is no thing which can move faster than light?

While I agree with the general application of more logic to Freelancer, there has to be a point where you stop and need to accept it - This is science fiction, most of the known laws of physics don't apply. Otherwise there wouldn't be shields, Jumpgates, weapons other than ammo-based ones and perhaps lasers...

Besides, there are even in modern day physics theoretical ways how superluminal travel could work

RE: Nomad technology and distances in Sirius (renamed) - Fluffyball - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:13 PM)Char Aznable Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 01:07 PM)Crackling Wrote: How can you travel faster than light in lanes, if, as I remember, there is no thing which can move faster than light?

While I agree with the general application of more logic to Freelancer, there has to be a point where you stop and need to accept it - This is science fiction, most of the known laws of physics don't apply. Otherwise there wouldn't be shields, Jumpgates, weapons other than ammo-based ones and perhaps lasers...

Besides, there are even in modern day physics theoretical ways how superluminal travel could work

Actually, someone proved that there are particles that MIGHT move faster than light. Until today, it's unknown if it was actual break of the barrier or it was a mistake, since it was impossible to repeat the process.

Also, saying that "breaking the light speed is impossible" is arrogant, especially for a such "young" civilization like ours. We can't be truly sure of it, since we know nothing about our universe. We just invented atomic bomb like 60 years ago and yet still we haven't reached thermonuclear energy stage of our civilization.

You know, just three hundred years ago saying that human may fly was claimed bizzare, if not heresy.

RE: Nomad technology and distances in Sirius (renamed) - Shizune - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:17 PM)Toris Gray Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 01:13 PM)Char Aznable Wrote:

Actually, someone proved that there are particles that MIGHT move faster than light. Until today, it's unknown if it was actual break of the barrier or it was a mistake, since it was impossible to repeat the process.

Also, saying that "breaking the light speed is impossible" is arrogant, especially for a such "young" civilization like ours. We can't be truly sure of it, since we know nothing about our universe. We just invented atomic bomb like 60 years ago and yet still we haven't reached thermonuclear energy stage of our civilization.

You know, just three hundred years ago saying that human may fly was claimed bizzare, if not heresy.

Well, unless you count the recent reactivation of the LHC, in that case, we kinda do know a few more things about our universe (Depending on what it is I guess). Beyond that, we really can't prove many things yet, not even if aliens exist yet in the least...just yet, but there have been unexplained things before. So who knows.

Here's how I see it.

Many things have walked from the ocean, thousands, perhaps even millions from our sea's. And yet, over the course of the last few thousand years, man has evolved more then a T-Rex did during its 5 billion year existence. And I will quote myself say this, call me insane if you want. But what if humans didn't come from earth hmmm? What if we are the aliens? Food for the though.

Anyways back on topic. Were talking about a game here and this topic is a bit to...realistic for discovery related things honestly. I mean, the first alien man finds blows up our birth solar system and mind-apes humans for fun. To top it off, were not even taking into the effects of say...gravity, things in space, the pull of another spacial body, inertia, thrust, air resistance...all those things. Ya, space has no air, but that does not mean it does not have gravity. Throw a ball in space, it will keep going but it will also be pulled to the nearest object with the strongest gravity. If you look at our space ships today, they fly around the earth 2-3 times to pick up speed and require 3-4 massive tanks of fuel to boost them into space itself.

I think I'm rambling here, and I'm tired, so I might not even be making sense anymore..

RE: Nomad technology and distances in Sirius (renamed) - WesternPeregrine - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:08 PM)Snake Wrote: As Shizune said, Jumpdrives, Cloaking and such things aswell as Warp Gates already existed way before, in Starlancer. Some ships were even able to open a wormhole for a couple of secs for long distance jumps. Jumpdrives were already build inside the ships system, something like the current mk2 Jumpdrive which yoi can only jump 2 systems away from you.

For those who dont know, the Alliance vs coalition war you saw on FL intro was Starlancer, well Starlancer takes role even before the intro.

You need to remember though, that starlancer scale is the solar system. Those "pre-vanilla " tech is all intra system tech.

RE: Nomad technology and distances in Sirius (renamed) - jammi - 05-08-2015

Yup. Honestly, the only tech that Starlancer-era humanity seems to have that works better than Freelancer-era is cloaking technology. Even that can be handwaved by stating that scanner technology has vastly improved, making the old techniques redundant.

Juni mentions that you need a battleship core to generate enough juice to power a (non alien based) cloaking device. Presumably that would be a total cloak, that removed all energy signatures which the original Starlancer cloaks wouldn't have. Either way, it strongly implies that the two forms of cloaking are derived from different technology and work in different ways.

As a matter of a fact, I'm positive Starlancer cloaks weren't "true" cloaks but partial sensor jammers. You can still see a translucent outline of the cloaked ship if you follow it closely, as well as its engine exhaust.