Discovery Gaming Community
Unreal Tales - FL UE4 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Unreal Tales - FL UE4 (/showthread.php?tid=130146)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Unreal Tales - Alley - 10-06-2018

A collab with @Ichiru led to a new export process that make it a little less annoying to convert FL models to new standards. Proportions are now correct (outside of the models' own weirdness) and less information is lost on export. Materials recolor are however still lost in the process, so these must be restored manually after import.

Here's the result on a few liberty shippies

RE: Unreal Tales - Venkman - 10-06-2018

Looks hot.

RE: Unreal Tales - Alley - 10-06-2018

I imported the gallic trade lane model. FL always made me feel trade lanes were tiny, but apparently they aren't. Put to scale against a human, they're actually pretty huge!

RE: Unreal Tales - Sombs - 10-06-2018

You should make an UT99 map with just Discovery models to jump around on.

RE: Unreal Tales - Alley - 10-08-2018

This image is probably a little less interesting but it has significant meaning.

I completely changed the approach in regard to storing equipment. The previous approach had not changed since 2015 and consisted of abusing inheritence to create completely new items based on a parent generic item. There was serious problems with that as you had to figure out what the item actually was. Engines weren't truly engines, if your ship engine was "engine50", the game would understand what you are using is something called "engine50" instead of an engine with the stats of engine50.

Unreal added Data Tables and I started to experiment with it. The above screenshot is a data table meant to store engine data. The beauty of data tables is that we can also open them in Excel, which means Unreal is not needed to mundane tasks like tweaking an engine's stats or adding a new one (I doubt localization will happen). In the end the approach is very similar to FL's INI system.

I've started switching the engine component to use this system and thus far the performance of this subsystem has been significantly improved thanks to this change, and so is the ease of use.

RE: Unreal Tales - Alley - 11-27-2018

I'm finally done setting up my new pc after the previous one unexpectedly blew up (I'm not kidding, it was a rave party for a second). I chose the Ryzen 7 2700x as new CPU and holy hell that thing is a life changer in regards to developing this. It used to take a minute to recompile a material so I was very afraid to do tests with textures. Lighting builds would take more than 20 minutes on average maps. Now it takes barely a second to see the result of material changes and lighting builds barely take a minute to complete. It's a huge motivation to not be afraid to do things and really motivates me to work on this project.

Here's the result of a lighting build on one of UE's demo maps:

RE: Unreal Tales - PRJKTLRD - 11-27-2018

Sh1te, that looks epic!

RE: Unreal Tales - Nepotu - 11-27-2018

Bloody hell this looks gorgeous. PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN

RE: Unreal Tales - Chronicron - 11-27-2018

Nicely done. Gives me some familiar vibes. Mass Effect 3? Space Rangers? Because I feel I've seen it somewhere before.

RE: Unreal Tales - Alley - 11-27-2018

(11-27-2018, 04:47 PM)Chronicron Wrote: Nicely done. Gives me some familiar vibes. Mass Effect 3? Space Rangers? Because I feel I've seen it somewhere before.

It's one of the demo levels of Unreal Engine 4. They're very useful for testing.