Discovery Gaming Community
New line to Law ID - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: New line to Law ID (/showthread.php?tid=138598)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: New line to Law ID - hack - 06-03-2016

Sounds like every other time someone has tried to get the lawfuls to play the way they want.... its not the ID, its the laws of the house.

RE: New line to Law ID - Jayce - 06-03-2016

(06-02-2016, 07:41 PM)Anomander Wrote:
(06-02-2016, 07:07 PM)Jayce Wrote: The law is the law is the law. Contraband is contraband. Drop it or explode. 1 unit or 5000 units.
aaand this is just dumb... where is place for RP in such scenario?

Let's kill people for crossing the road on the red light - huh?
Someone by mistake light a cigarette under no-smoke-sign *boom* headshot...
Let's murder people in the name of LAW for each and the slightest offense.
I really hope that it's not an official LSF statement.

Well basically this is exactly what I was talking about - in RP there must be some place for gray area
since things shouldn't be settled binary way 0 / 1

If You caught a ship with eg. 10 - 100 - 1k - 5k of illegal cargo - we are dealing with a dealer/smuggler
If someone hauling eg. 1-5 pieced of SM then it's not an dealer/smuggler and he/she cannot be treated as such.

Now that you mention it... Sure, let's make it official. Drop the contraband, or boom. c:

I mean, if you've got 1 unit on your ship, you're obviously a disgusting degenerate that contributes nothing to Libertonian society, and should be deported post haste.

RE: New line to Law ID - Xenon - 06-03-2016

I think they should be stopped, then they should justify and state the reasons behind holding such small amounts of a contraband
Also the law enforcer character should understand that some small amounts are harmless and allowed for personal use.
Just my 2 cents, and nice topic

RE: New line to Law ID - Stoner_Steve - 06-03-2016

keep in mind there is nothing stopping you (in Liberty) from getting certain certificates that let you have certain items even if no one else can have them

You just have to do the work

RE: New line to Law ID - DarthBindo - 06-03-2016

(04-28-2016, 06:23 PM)Bloodl1ke Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 04:33 PM)Genexus Wrote: Cargo scan should be removed. instead just allow scan via trading monitor. This would be much more interesting.

I hope you'll enjoy always being pirated as if you were carrying ore.
We don't do that already?

Whoops, didn't get the memo.

RE: New line to Law ID - Thyrzul - 06-03-2016

(06-02-2016, 05:34 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: As a player that helps newbies all the time i like to have one unit of most important goods on my ship , so i can in any the time , without need to land , change ship , account , exit game/ leave game in background or search forum , give them some good trading advice when they contact me by in game PM .
For example , newbie have just buy Kishiro ID ship and he wants to go to Galia to start trade rute :
New London ( Gold Ore ) - Il de France ( Aluminium Ore ) , but he dont know what to bring from New York where is now , since Kishiro restart dont have Galia prices .
At that point i look on my ONE uint of Premium Scrap and i see that sells for 10822 in Dauphine ,
or that Black Market Amno from New York sells for 6077 in Auvergne ,
or one from New Berlin sells for 6718 in same place ,
or in case there is no Aluminum ore in Picardy POB , he can still make decent 3000 profit by hauling Energy Field Equipment to London .
Naturally , only because i have visited lots of bases on my trade ship AND i have those SAMPLES on board i can quickly and safely give them advice without need to leave ship in space or waste lots of time . While samples like Premium Scrap and Gold ore dont make me trouble with law players , those like Black Market Amno do , so thats why i suggest some flexibility here . It is not like i will smuggle one unit of contraband for crying out loud , this is a game people , it is suppose to be fun , not pushing . We already pretend we are in actual space ship cockpit , why cant we pretend we dont see that one samples ?
Even line in Police ID like :
"It is recommended that players ignore contraband in quantities less than 3" will make some difference , and suggest players not to be so literal in enforcing laws !
Naturally , safest solution will be to dont load any samples and dont give a damn about newbies , right ?

(04-14-2015, 06:57 PM)The Angels Wrote:
Freelancer companion - Your best trade adviser
Companion Guide
FL stat - Another useful tool for veterans (direct download link)

Can't people just start helping newbies once they know at least the majority of the content of help and tutorial sections? Like for what the F do we have those sections if people gonna just ignore them and find their own way to try helping newbies without educating themselves first? I wonder if this way you are less or more harmful than if you would just leave newbies alone.

Help is not bad in itself, but isn't sufficient either. Educated help is welcomed, appreciated, uneducated attempts may hurt more (see: anti-vaccine movements). Educate yourself before you educate others, and unnecessary threads with utter bullcrap like this won't pop up from time to time.

RE: New line to Law ID - Laura C. - 06-03-2016

(06-02-2016, 06:00 PM)sasapinjic Wrote: but if i have sample of it on ship i can check that easy and provide valuable advice . Newbie can ask me what sells good from Liberty to Galia for example , and with sample on my ship i can look and provide advice even when i am in Picardy and he is in New York .
You are wasting your own and newbie´s time if you do such search manually instead of using FL Companion. With companion it can be done in like twenty seconds.

(06-02-2016, 07:41 PM)Anomander Wrote: Well basically this is exactly what I was talking about - in RP there must be some place for gray area
since things shouldn't be settled binary way 0 / 1
If someone hauling eg. 1-5 pieced of SM then it's not an dealer/smuggler and he/she cannot be treated as such.
There is no grey area usually. Either your cargo is legal and thus cops won´t bother you, or it isn´t. And when you have illegal cargo onboard, it must be confiscated by laws and if you refuse to jettison it, you are shot. Simple as that. Sure, there can RP, you can try to convince law enforcer with some hearbreaking story why this one piece of contraband is important for you. But that does not mean that law enforcer -have to- let you go just because you roleplayed. It depends on several factors, including nature of law enforcer, his experience, circumstances and such. Just like in real life, in certain bordering situations or in minor offences, there are cops which will let you go with a warning, but also cops which will give you hard time because they for some reason have no understanding for you. Thus there is nothing wrong to use any of these attitudes in roleplay.

RE: New line to Law ID - Karst - 06-03-2016

Instead of suggesting this a rule change, why not try to lobby the governments inRP to take a more lenient stance on contraband commodities? You're trying to find an ooRP solution to an inRP issue which is the wrong approach to take.

Who knows, maybe you'll find some support for the idea.

RE: New line to Law ID - Anomander - 06-03-2016

(06-03-2016, 01:19 AM)Caelumaresh Wrote: You also have extreme cops that treat 1 small joint as the end of the world.
Indeed, but even most extreme cops will not shoot you as you stand for having 1 joint,
they might smack you, put a fine, arrest - but not put freaking bullet in the head.

And that is my problem with previous Jayce statement - instead RP opportunities
we have "drop or die" what sound to me like an another poor excuse for blue-message.

(06-03-2016, 02:26 AM)Jayce Wrote: I mean, if you've got 1 unit on your ship, you're obviously a disgusting degenerate
that contributes nothing to Libertonian society, and should be deported post haste.
That is pure discrimination and overkill...

(06-03-2016, 11:36 AM)Laura C. Wrote: There is no grey area usually. Either your cargo is legal and thus cops won´t bother you, or it isn´t. And when you have illegal cargo onboard, it must be confiscated by laws and if you refuse to jettison it, you are shot. Simple as that. Sure, there can RP, you can try to convince law enforcer with some hearbreaking story why this one piece of contraband is important for you. But that does not mean that law enforcer -have to- let you go just because you roleplayed. It depends on several factors, including nature of law enforcer, his experience, circumstances and such. Just like in real life, in certain bordering situations or in minor offences, there are cops which will let you go with a warning, but also cops which will give you hard time because they for some reason have no understanding for you. Thus there is nothing wrong to use any of these attitudes in roleplay.
Again - even most extreme lawbringers will not shoot you as you stand for having 1 joint...
just like cops do not shoot-to-kill people for crossing the road on the red light.

(06-03-2016, 11:49 AM)Karst Wrote: Instead of suggesting this a rule change, why not try to lobby the governments inRP to take a more lenient stance on contraband commodities? You're trying to find an ooRP solution to an inRP issue which is the wrong approach to take.

Who knows, maybe you'll find some support for the idea.

And that is quite neat idea.

RE: New line to Law ID - Jayce - 06-03-2016

(06-03-2016, 04:02 PM)Anomander Wrote: Again - even most extreme lawbringers will not shoot you as you stand for having 1 joint...

Does this look like real life to you? All I see is people who play in Liberty that can't be bothered doing roleplay (or can't do it well enough) to get a special permit.