Discovery Gaming Community
Faction Ship Lines - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Faction Ship Lines (/showthread.php?tid=19245)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Faction Ship Lines - Corsair - 04-15-2009

I hate taking my BH for a spin against, say, Farmers or GCs in Shikoku. I'm met with FLEAS. I think it would be fun to shoot down some more original craft.

Even though Farmers are just civilians. But they use LWB weapons.

Faction Ship Lines - Unseelie - 04-15-2009

Minefields. Right now, there's two models. The spiky spike of death model, and the Nomad pyramid stack model.

Of the top of my head, I could suggest alternative models. Disc models, cubes, spheres...Each house, at least, should have its own mines. I'd expect the mollies to have their own sort as well...

And as for people asking you for ships, I've been begging for new and various cargopods since 83.

Faction Ship Lines - Xing - 04-15-2009

well, I've seen plans here and there, but thing is, I think most modellers have no idea how to put them in, and assuming they did, I think Igiss doesn't like the idea...

Also... mines... I don't see why would we need more, the actual ones are pretty fine. The nomads one doesn't even looks like mines...
The actual one' forms are the most logical imo... why would we want disk?

The other types of mine I'd see would be little capsules with thrusters; but since ours here doesn't move, there's no point really.

' Wrote:Also... mines... I don't see why would we need more, the actual ones are pretty fine. The nomads one doesn't even looks like mines...
The actual one' forms are the most logical imo... why would we want disk?

See, that exact same logic can be applied to every single sort of addition to this game. New ships? What for? The ones we have work fine. What do mines look like?

[Image: antipersonnel-mine.jpg]
[Image: spanishmineContactMine.jpg]
[Image: 050613_cbrown_mp_his_am317.jpg]
The disk seems like the simplest and cheapest shape to pack full of explosives...

What constructive purpose to a mine does spikes and spines have? A mine is, generally, a device with a proximity sensor and a bunch of high explosive. Alternatively, it could be a sort of energy weapon with a proximity sensor, which sets off a periodic pulse whenever things are nearby(<-better explains.

well thing is that, mines aren't too exciting -personally speaking... I mean, I look at mines and... I'm not too concerned about their aesthetics.

However, I do like to fly a pretty ship, and dock on pretty bases.
But mines? I'm just... concerned about dodging them ^^"

By 'pretty' do you mean new? Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd want to design ships. I consider vanilla ships much prettier than most every new model.

My point has been that ships, we've a glut of variety on. Faction/house variety, and now we've things like bases, mines, whatever, which are not unique, not to factions, not to houses. Mines was just a suggestion I tossed out. I'd certainly like to see Molly minefields differentiated from Bretonian minefields. That's just the sort of detail work which I key into. By this point, there's soo many ships..

Faction Ship Lines - farmerman - 04-15-2009

As to mines, I figured the spikes were to catch on things - like ships.

All in all though, I don't think new mines would add anything, but I think I get your point. New ships directly add to visuals, whereas mines are not so common. New BASE models, however, would be awesome. The same for base components. I'd still love to see a Gaian base that looked similar to Kyoto, but was icey and, instead of the skull and crossbones, had a giant recycle logo. :D

Is there any sort of tutorial on making the above? There's lots of things for ships, but what about bases?

' Wrote:By 'pretty' do you mean new? Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd want to design ships. I consider vanilla ships much prettier than most every new model.

My point has been that ships, we've a glut of variety on. Faction/house variety, and now we've things like bases, mines, whatever, which are not unique, not to factions, not to houses. Mines was just a suggestion I tossed out. I'd certainly like to see Molly minefields differentiated from Bretonian minefields. That's just the sort of detail work which I key into. By this point, there's soo many ships..

Well... pretty by my own sense of aesthetic? Now if you want to imply my ships are ugly... fine by me although it would hurt my pride a bit...
And yes, there are too many ships, but, that's what people want; their own ships to identify themselves with...

Faction Ship Lines - sovereign - 04-15-2009

The spikes on the mines are a real thing. Land mines aren't the best comparison here, what you may be interested in are naval mines:

[Image: 200px-Mine_(AWM_304925).jpg]

See those spikes? Instead of proximity sensors (which are doable with modern technology, magnets are amazing) contact spikes work just fine (and are a whole lot cheaper while we're at it). A ship hits the incredibly fragile spikes and breaks them, which triggers the mine to go off. The spikey mines work just fine, larger spikes make sense since you need to catch space superiority fighters rather than gigantic floating bricks.

Nomad mines do look pretty silly though.

Moving right along, lots of mods have cool ships. We have some of the coolest. Neat. We've got plenty (and plenty we don't need), and while here and there another ship or a replacement woudln't hurt, we can achieve more awesomeness faster by diverting efforts elsewhere. Xing mentioned modeling asteroids, please do. There's like seven of them coded into FL, plus another dozen for zone spawn asteroids. Moar asteroids plox!

More commodity bins, cargo pods, base components... all of this stuff would be a fantastic addition to Discovery. We already have the best ships by most standards. No particular need to further embellish that, and an uninspired concept "just to give them a ship" detracts from it. Lets go for the best everything else too.

Mayhaps start with gun models? There's precedent for every faction to have their own, so no questions about arr pee there. If you're going to force yourself to make anything, don't make it a ship. Just follow your inspiration and it will turn out nicely.

Faction Ship Lines - Othman - 04-15-2009

As long as their history and roleplaying extensions let them, I don't see a problem with every faction having their own ships. We have the development for a reason and official factions are responsible for adding things where the vanilla couldn't. Discovery is a sensible extension of vanilla and as long as additions being made are reasonable, they should and will be made.