Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Policy Changed - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Policy Changed (/showthread.php?tid=57055)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - Osilon - 03-21-2011

heres how i would do it. Before you start your bank, have it registered under government law- whether it be Liberty, Bretonia, whatever. That way, when you get scammed, you contact the government in question- therefore getting the ship barred from the house/houses on consequence of several hundred million credits of theft. No matter what house you're in, this is a massive amount. Puts the person on level with pirates.

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - tansytansey - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:heres how i would do it. Before you start your bank, have it registered under government law- whether it be Liberty, Bretonia, whatever. That way, when you get scammed, you contact the government in question- therefore getting the ship barred from the house/houses on consequence of several hundred million credits of theft. No matter what house you're in, this is a massive amount. Puts the person on level with pirates.

^ See? Good plan.

Make your loans in-roleplay, and don't lend money to unlawfuls for God's sake.

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - AeternusDoleo - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:Is this a roleplay server or not? Someone defaults on their load, hire goons to make their lives miserable and extract the money by force.
Doesn't help when the scammer simply deletes the character he loaned cash with and buys himself a nice old battleship on a new craft, with the generous use of /givecash

And before you go "well, let's stop /givecash use for people on loans", you can just as easily buy a cargo load of name change certificates at 2 mil a pop, and transfer those to your to-be cap. (Frankly, only reason you loan more then 100M would be to buy a capship or armor for one)

And sure, you could try and make the player's life miserable by going after all his/her characters, but that wouldn't exactly be a roleplay solution, yes?

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - mwerte - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:How will not refunding loaners for lost credits stop loan scams?
Loans won't happen.

' Wrote:heres how i would do it. Before you start your bank, have it registered under government law- whether it be Liberty, Bretonia, whatever. That way, when you get scammed, you contact the government in question- therefore getting the ship barred from the house/houses on consequence of several hundred million credits of theft. No matter what house you're in, this is a massive amount. Puts the person on level with pirates.
player mwerte gets a loan for character tylor for 500 million. deletes tylor and gives money to character yellow.

you are out 500 million because it is stupid easy for a scammer to "disappear" because this is a game.

Is that a RP encounter? Yes. Is it incredibly harmful to the game environment? Very much yes.

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - Daedric - 03-21-2011

I'm of mix feelings about this.

I don't personally loan anyone money unless I know them and I don't charge interest. To me it isn't a form of money making but more of a way to help a friend get started. Problem as explained to me with the system before this policy change is that Loaners had no risk so long as they made the loan greater than 100mil. There must be risk involved if you are going to make some money in it. Plus, there seemed to be a ton of sanction reports stemming from the policy due to people loaning money left and right.

I personally think it not wise to loan 100mil+ to a stranger. 10? 20? 30? Sure. I'll help you get in a transport and such, with the assurance you'll pay me back ASAP. I honestly don't see the need to be loaning 100mil+. Just me though.

My two cents? Cap admin protected loans at 75mil so long as they make either no interest or very little. If you loan more than 75mil your risk, if you want to charge a ton of interest on 75mil or less, your risk.

This still makes it possible to loan to newbies in order to help them get a fancy trade ship. Just makes it unlikely to loan them enough to get their cap ship two weeks in.

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - tansytansey - 03-21-2011

I guess the moral of the story is, don't loan any money to someone you don't know if you aren't willing to lose it.

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - Prysin - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:If somebody can think of a game mechanic or/and role play way of enforcing loan collection, I'm happy to listen to your ideas.

An alternative way might be to sanction people for loan scams but not refund the money. This might provide a better risk/reward balance.

yes, an brilliant one...

Vigilante faction; ADMINS post a hitlist every month of loan scammers... These guys work like bounty hunters. They break their kneecaps and tell them to pay up to person XXX or they return. Once a month, if not repaid or name changed. you still on the list

this faction would be immune to the reengagment rule in the case of them being killed by their target or during interaction with their target. Under any other circumstances they would be subject to reengagement rules.

There is no reward for the vigilantes. They are only given the right to go ANYWHERE, to bust kneecaps and tell people to pay up.

This group would need a trail though, and it had to be a faction, with real forum RP.

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - mwerte - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:Once a month, if not repaid or name changed. you still on the list
Get loan for 100 million.
2 million for a namechage
profit!

no ??? needed.

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - dodike - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:this faction would be immune to the reengagment rule in the case of them being killed by their target or during interaction with their target. Under any other circumstances they would be subject to reengagement rules.
Epic, where do I sign?

Admin Notice: Policy Changed - Agmen of Eladesor - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:I gave up my admin position primarily because of a combination of working with Agmen being absolutely insufferable and my life circumstances altering dramatically.

I gave up my dev position for reasons which are largely similar, though I still do work for them on request.

I've been an admin. You have not. Consider that before you attempt to laugh off my criticism.
Insufferable?

Maybe testing, trying, and quite annoying because Agmen is an opinionated old fart that's self assured in the rightness of his answers, but not insufferable...

I don't know about lazyness or apathy. I think it boils down to the minor detail that there's just too darned much work, and not enough people available for the amount of work. Not for the amount of time that needs to be volunteered on a daily basis, so priorities have to be made.

You can say lots of bad things about me - I did try to keep the number of unacted upon sanction reports down.