Discovery Gaming Community
Recreating the Phantoms? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Recreating the Phantoms? (/showthread.php?tid=68481)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Recreating the Phantoms? - jammi - 11-21-2011

' Wrote:I think the reason was that we're not the only server using this mod and that they do afterall exist elsewhere?
I'm sure the UK and USA servers' combined 20 players will be extremely offended.

In any case, if something like this were to happen, you'd probably have to trial the idea using a public ID first. For example, a pirate or freelancer ID.

If you did eventually get the green light to repurpose the Phantoms' legacy, the various assets could be locally renamed via FLHook. There. No issue with upsetting dead servers.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Walker - 11-21-2011

So mostly unrelated and different.

Can the LSF get the Raven's Claw back?

Pwetty Pwease?

Recreating the Phantoms? - Crysis - 11-21-2011

I have the RP basis set for a new entity faction in place of PHOOMs. If interested skype me @: luigivinet or get intouch with me via forums, I think you might like it.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Veygaar - 11-21-2011

I'd like to see them come back. I showed up as they were phasing out:(
Would love to have some interactions with them...

Recreating the Phantoms? - Dusty Lens - 11-21-2011

Why not make the faction with a pirate ID and try to exist for more than six months to see if the idea has merit?

Whatever the idea is.

As it stands you're coming across like my cousin Jim who has a killer business plan that is 100% surefire and all you need from me are the keys to the Porsche, half a million and no questions.

The cousin Jim who, in this case, has a reputation for rage quitting, trying to get people to make him a new server where he alone rules an elitest phantomalike faction with vastly superior tech which preys on other players and grandiose projects which generally fail to manifest practical sustainability beyond the umbrella of one person's self entitling story backdrop.

And I am very unlike cousin Jim. I have an RP plan set out (Need a couple of top RP'rs/veterans to listen up if theyre interested) see what all think of it. And put it into plan. Im not asking for half a million, keys to no porsche, nothing. Just people to be all ears and co-operative if they wish it be. Personally dont care about vastly superior tech, im interested in the roleplay... I have a *fetish* for extreme RP basis, also why I joined Keepers and personally think I provide very good roleplay. Am no triggerhappy [excuse my french] PVP Whore.

PS: I also need someone to help me get my blooming game running cus I still cant get it to work. Crashes when I connect to server (Requested Operation is....than expected..) ¬¬

Recreating the Phantoms? - AeternusDoleo - 11-21-2011

At the risk of repeating myself. I very much doubt an unproven faction is going to get superior tech. People can try and pick up Phantom roleplay, or something similar, as far as one of the freely available IDs allow. But the keys to said porche won't be handed over - you'll get a volvo instead. Them 8 nomgun scorpions are a good example of why we shouldn't be having any excessively overpowered weaponry in the mod in the first place. I'd rather not add another faction with a license to frag anything at their discretion, anywhere they feel like. It's just a recipy for disaster given how responsible people have proven on average...

' Wrote:At the risk of repeating myself. I very much doubt an unproven faction is going to get superior tech. People can try and pick up Phantom roleplay, or something similar, as far as one of the freely available IDs allow. But the keys to said porche won't be handed over - you'll get a volvo instead. Them 8 nomgun scorpions are a good example of why we shouldn't be having any excessively overpowered weaponry in the mod in the first place. I'd rather not add another faction with a license to frag anything at their discretion, anywhere they feel like. It's just a recipy for disaster given how responsible people have proven on average...

Exactly Why I said.... I have an idea, now give me some vets/good roleplayers willing to take this forward, and we'll take it one step at a time yes?:)

Babysteps please. Crawl(getting them) Walk(Rpi'ng it and starting it/forum/ingame) and Running comes later... (Achieving what we want, a new faction entity in place of the PHOOMZ):)

Recreating the Phantoms? - BaconSoda - 11-22-2011

I don't want to sound negative but you are exactly what Dusty Lens has said. Frankly, I'm not giving you the keys to my car and I hope the admins think the same way as I do.

There's a lot to be said for very good Roleplay. When it comes to the Phantoms, though, I have to ask "Why do we need this again?"

I'll tell you from the inside: being a Phantom is not special. You're given some very specific freedoms at the cost of identity. A lot of times you end up ruining someone else's day. A lot of times your day ends up being ruined. Look at the old feedback threads. Look at the flame threads. Look at the negative connotation applied after its disbanded. Is that something you want? Even when the Phantoms were grounded, there was poor feedback. Even when we had nothing to do with the decision (ships), the players were blamed.

Looking from the outside in again, it's a good thing we're sans the entire thing.

But that said, listen to yourself. Baby steps. Make some pirate or vigilante IDed characters. Start small. Start localized. Begin as something no one knows about. Get an idea as to what you're trying to do; what kind of a task you're trying to accomplish. The same principles behind running the Phantoms apply to running a global pirate IDed faction. You have to juggle diplomacy with everyone. You have to manage your players on a global scale. You have to manage your ship usage. You have to be on top of the locals around you. You generally have to have a deep understanding of the world around you. If you can grasp that with a pirate ID, then you can be responsible to have a Phantom ID.

It's not the easiest thing to do; look at Rorry's Renegades. You get an idea that some people love them and some hate them. This isn't how you want to impact people. You want most people to love you and few people to hate you (of course some will). You don't want to become a cool kids club. With a global ID you have to manage a LOT of stuff and with that small step in freedom, the expectations weighed upon you are increased far more than the weight relived by the freedoms. This is more true for the Phantom ID and other terrorist IDs than any other kind of global ID.

In short, take your own advice. Baby steps. Rome didn't get built in a day. That is if you really want it at all.

Recreating the Phantoms? - Crysis - 11-22-2011

Exactly the reply I was looking for, exactly what I am trying to do. Maybe not even a pirate ID'd faction, but first you need some people willing to take forward a unique roleplay (not create a secret sect of overpowered triggerhappy players). Now, would you like to help take part in this?