Discovery Gaming Community
Is Sirius too big? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Is Sirius too big? (/showthread.php?tid=76084)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Is Sirius too big? - JayDee Kasane - 03-07-2012

I really hink that half of systems must gone, so players will be not so far from others. too many systems that dont have sense and dont needed.
Like 2 Corsair empty systems, 0ver9000 half-guard systems(Illinois, Oita, Pool...)
about factions: in official faction you cant apspam, so you see why many indies around. example SCRA. now coalition ID will be unlocked, so many capships will pop up as indies. Im in SCRA| and I cant use capships. clear enough?

Edit: system sizes I think must be increased in 1.5-2x. more realism

Is Sirius too big? - Lucky Luke - 03-07-2012

WOW! I had no idea that there would be so many opinions on this! Please... Keep it coming! I see so many interesting things here.

' Wrote:By what you just said, you don't want any challenge while you trade. You don't want any fun for those who play characters who pirate. You just want to accumulate credits to finance other characters. I bet you gotta several capital ships, if not more. You'd prefer houses with 15 systems so no one could ever run into you to pirate you. So what will you with your Dreadnaught or whatever later, a ship which you bought with that boring trading routine, if there are no pirates around? Since clearly, in your scenario, they'd stop to exists since no one is insane enough to fly 1 hour in order to catch 1 trading vessel. Every couple of hours.

Back when I use to trade in 4.84, I'd mount CAU 8 on my liner called Ship-of-Fools (in early 4.85 aka Out-of-Business.Co.,), and I'd trade the most dangerous routes and I'd beg for pirates to RP with me, to chase me and even to take me down after a long, well deserved victory. Captain of that vessel, Dwight McCluskey, a former prison warden, was a hard-headed man, who use to curse and taunt and challenge pirates who'd try to rob him. He'd even try to defend other traders sometimes when odds were good. That use to make trading so much fun. Very, very fun. I'd like to think that the opposite side had some fun as well. As a matter of fact, I'm sure that majority did.

You missed the whole point of this game, at least when the concept of trading/pirating is concerned. That's like... 50% of the game.
Cut down the number of systems in half. That would solve everyone's problem. Well, almost everyone's. Activity would sky-rocket because people would have more fun. People would have more fun because they would run into each other more frequently.
This one just hits the bullseye! I've done my fair share of powertrading/mining in my day, and you're totally right. It's sooo mind-nummingly boring. Sitting by the lanes and pirate passing traders is also relly boring in the long run. Raiding... Yeah, same thing there. It get's old after a while. So what is fun? I picked up somthing from Espi of the Black Sails once, as he robbed me. He offered me to just pay up and leave, but he also offered me to throw a dice for it. If I won, I'd get out for free, if I lost, I'd have to pay a higher tax. If the dice would show a 6, he would shoot me no matter what! I thought this was a brilliant idea, and very good RP, so I've tried it. It's fun! The traders are sooo surprised when they realize they can just leave for free, if they win. So far... NO ONE has turned down the offer to gamble for it!

I've used my Rogue-char to halt a trader just to have someone to talk to, coz his family won't talk to him. Not robbing the trader, just talking. I took a trader hostage, and demanded my Rogue brothers released from prison. It was so much fun! I totally accept being blown up now and then, as long as I get to have some fun. I saw one guy coming to Gamma as Constable Regan. He was there to collect fines from a couple of Benitez for speeding in Bretonia. It was totally hilarious! He nailed the strict, bretonian cop perfectly, and Benitez played along.

Things like this activate people, and bring fresh ideas to a static environment. Be creative!

' Wrote:The devs/admins made a huge mistake bringing in Freelancer/Pirate IDs. Everyone go's to them now so they can use any ship/any weapon follow no RP at all except PvP/Pirate anything they want. There is no RP behind these IDs so players have no RP to follow.
I'd just like to point out the name of this game... Freelancer! There are lawful ones, and there are unlawful ones. These have the opportunity to create their own RP and lore. I'm not saying that this is what we see, but they fill their purpose.

On the box of the original Freelancer, (Yes, I bought it when it was new :D) the title of the game is: Freelancer - The universe of possibility. And it sure is! I think we've only scraped the surface to what can be done InRP. We just need to figure out how to move it along. And from what I can see in the posts here, there's no lack of enthusiasm and ideas. Keep it coming!

Is Sirius too big? - Lonely_Ghost - 03-07-2012

Quote:On the box of the original Freelancer, (Yes, I bought it when it was new ) the title of the game is: Freelancer - The universe of possibility. And it sure is! I think we've only scraped the surface to what can be done InRP. We just need to figure out how to move it along. And from what I can see in the posts here, there's no lack of enthusiasm and ideas. Keep it coming!

May be we should to decreas RP stright a bit? I mean, if you got sair's GB and you want to place it in NT, hiding in Hogosha base for exmpl. You will probably need to make some posts to base autority, to faction lead.... they will ask you to do something, then they will think about your request. It's to real...
Removing some RP stirght could realy increas levl of activity and fun.
Oh... and about long RP interactions.... many comes here to play, not to chat much.

Well, I think its a bit late to discuss.... but in my opinion, there would be much more usefull to develope Vanila's houses, then making new one. Tons of ideas could be found, even massive war with Nomads.

Quote:Freelancer - The universe of possibility
Sadly, but in major corners of this universe you will meet: STOP, turn around, GTO NOW! No come back.
However, its my opinion.

Is Sirius too big? - Oorn - 03-07-2012

Yes, number of systems is too great, many guard and not only guard systems can be replaced with asteroid field, big base, several holes and uber npcs.

bigger problem is that people mostly play independent characters.True to be said, most new players usually set some kind of goal when they first play(usually getting a cap).So they follow the easiest way, powertrade , get desired ship, pewpew ,get bored, leave.True is, they don't even try to rp.To solve this problem we must make achieving smth without rp impossible.Solution I offer is limiting everything bigger than freighter(yes, even transports) to official factions, or faction permissions.

But this will only work if we make joining factions easier. For example to have recruit rank you only have to tell your character name in recruitment thread, but to advance in rank you have to post rp shots.This will improve server because right now there is alot of freedom and one simply doesn't know what he should do.

I'm really new player so I can tell that those problems exist because I experienced them myself.

Is Sirius too big? - Echo 7-7 - 03-07-2012

The reason that joining Official Factions has a level of difficulty (it varies between factions) is because every faction has a certain basic reputation that they need to maintain. Usually most applications are looking for the player to be able to communicate sufficiently and use their imagination to create some believable roleplay background for their character. If you can't come up with a basic pre-prepared story, then it begs the question on how you will respond to spontaneous roleplay in game. This is not intended as a criticism of new players, though - most factions will be happy to teach new players the ropes. It's something I try do myself but it's very difficult because of so little free time, and difficult time zones.

However, you do raise a valid point. There is no RP requirement to acquire a certain ship if you just silently powertrade your way to it.

Is Sirius too big? - ryoken - 03-07-2012

' Wrote:about factions: in official faction you cant apspam, so you see why many indies around. example SCRA. now coalition ID will be unlocked, so many capships will pop up as indies. Im in SCRA| and I cant use capships. clear enough?

This was your choice. Some do not choose to have others tell them they cannot fly caps/bombers/transports or whatever other ship. And this server allows that choice. It should never be "join a faction, or you cannot play here"

' Wrote:On the box of the original Freelancer, (Yes, I bought it when it was new :D) the title of the game is: Freelancer - The universe of possibility. And it sure is! I think we've only scraped the surface to what can be done InRP. We just need to figure out how to move it along. And from what I can see in the posts here, there's no lack of enthusiasm and ideas. Keep it coming!

True the game is called freelancer. But the original game also did not have ID's or Official factions. Those IDs and all others were added to create RP. To make people pick a group, and RP as that group. To help create some balance. I find those IDs to not create balance.They create anarchy. No one has no idea if they are friend or foe. None of them rep thier chars to support how they play. Ok some do, but very few.
Do you know how many times i have come across a furball where i seen a bunch all with these IDs fighting each other, and had no idea who was who? What side i should support/help because they are all showing Freelancer IFF?
This is why i RP a char that hates all Freelancers. Many say that is not fair, but to me it is unfair not to know which will help you, and which will shoot you in the back when it is turned.(DO NOT SAY THAT IS REAL LIFE)

Is Sirius too big? - Oorn - 03-07-2012

' Wrote:The reason that joining Official Factions has a level of difficulty (it varies between factions) is because every faction has a certain basic reputation that they need to maintain.
You misunderstood my post slightly.Its not about current indies representing current official factions, its about official factions ordering indies, so if when player just started playing, he is already guided by official faction and knows what to do.Right now its hard to decide what to do for new players so they are geting bored, and boredom is the biggest MMO enemy.

' Wrote:This was your choice. Some do not choose to have others tell them they cannot fly caps/bombers/transports or whatever other ship. And this server allows that choice. It should never be "join a faction, or you cannot play here"
No, it should be "rp yourself getting ship X or do not get it"

Is Sirius too big? - Savvy ? - 03-07-2012

Question 1 : Does Sirius have too many systems in relation to how many players there are? Is it already too big?
Answer 1 : No, it doesn't, vast space mean more RP and PVP opportunity

Question 2 : Why do so many players choose to play as indies or in unofficial factions?
Answer 2 :

4 reason why player like playing indie :
1. They can fly caps
2. They can powertrade like hell
3. Some OORP things are "forgivable" and "understandable" for indie
4. Its very an unfavorable conditions to fly official tagged faction ship in certain circumstances for certain player

1 reason why player like playing in unofficial factions :
1. Everyone wannabe boss

Is Sirius too big? - Sava - 03-07-2012

Quote:Answer 1 : No, it doesn't, vast space mean more RP and PVP opportunity
Yep, alot of unused opportuninies.

Edit:
I think, massive usage of unofficial tags showing characters affilation (Like MNS-, Rogues|, [IMG], Hogosha|, SFS etc) could particulary solve the problem. So, when someone views player list, he knows where to look for possible interactions.

Is Sirius too big? - Swallow - 03-07-2012

I vote for vanilla sirius, or even more shrinked\cutted.

Expand and improve systems rather than add. Finally, make bigger plantes, bigger nebulaes, claud patches...It does not feel like a space right now.

Terminate, eliminate or annihilate (chose right definition) non-vanilla factions, add more civilian stuff and we will be happy.