Discovery Gaming Community
Faction power - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: Faction power (/showthread.php?tid=81039)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Faction power - Alley - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:All the IDs are taken and I don't have 500mil to waste

bundschuh

do it

Faction power - Slartibartfast - 05-28-2012

Power of the faction? Felix pretty much nailed it as far as the infamous faction rights go. Saying as someone who's been in an official faction HC for quite some time now, the only time I remember us "meddling" with indies' affairs was when an indy Cruiser was way out of his zoi.

Powers? What powers?

Faction power - Snak6 - 05-28-2012

Ran a faction. Too few skype friends to have any influence. Though this is whole other topic to discuss.

Ingenious ran unofficial group which I think was better than official faction on same ID.

I saw EDGE, which was simply brilliant and by far the best example of what factions should strive to be. Had huge impact on gameplay. Was unofficial.

I might be off topic, but I believe these are worth mentioning as relevance to Benjamin's post.

Faction power - Slartibartfast - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:I saw EDGE, which was simply brilliant and by far the best example of what factions should strive to be.

You mean the Core faction which acted nothing like the Core? :laugh:

EDIT: And what does this supposed brilliance have to do with faction "powers"?

Read the part about off topic part.

Faction power - Backo - 05-28-2012

I abuse my official faction power on a daily basis, by opressing my non-existant indies, Faction Rule 5'ing the people that never heard of us, nor even interacted with us and of course, most dreadfully of all - I sometimes post in my little piece of forum space with hopes some unlucky soul would stumble on my faction and decide to join it. Sometimes I can't even look at myself in the mirror...

Faction power - Benjamin - 05-28-2012

Geckon: you've run an official faction? I'm guessing you didn't really start playing on the 5th of May then? And which faction was it?

What do you mean by too few skype friends to have any influence? What kind of influence do you want?

Faction power - Ingenious - 05-28-2012

' Wrote:Ingenious ran unofficial group which I think was better than official faction on same ID.

I am glad someone remembers. Collectors is a sensible example of why these changes I proposed are needed:
  • While our goal with Collectors was never to outdo or replace the Congress at all, that was the image that was projected on us, due to the One-Faction-Per-ID rule. Thus, tensions between us and Congress arose over scrap metal prices -- not base rights. But we could have coexisted, if one of the factions on the ID was given priority regarding ID-wide decisions. We would have agreed to forfeit those rights to Congress. As a side note, when Collectors fell apart because one of the co-leaders disappeared and I had RL stuff going on, we did donate our barge to Congress: you will see it online almost every day named .:j:.Collector.
  • Due to a scrap metal deal gone awry, the leader of DSE went on a jihad against us and nearly succeeded in FR5'ing our whole group from all DSE bases. Though that fell through, we still were forbidden inRP from coming within 5k of bases like Baltimore Shipyard, etc... See the problem? (Cliff and I are on better terms now)

Quote:Geckon: you've run an official faction? I'm guessing you didn't really start playing on the 5th of May then? And which faction was it?
I'll vouch for him here, and they were extremely active.

Nope.

If I told you, somebody might kill me.

Little amount of influence. Maybe not even influence but recognition. Oh well. Past is past and irrelevant in this particular case.

I believe that this thread might be summed up as Judge not by cover but by content.
As I said, I don't see problem with amount of power factions have. I see some inconsistencies and irregularities in how it is applied and by whom.

Faction power - Evan_ - 05-28-2012

You know what I like in official factions? The fact that I can be almost certain that if I go for a half year break, it will still be there when I return. The same can't be said about most unofficial groups I have interacted with.