Discovery Gaming Community
Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] [Updated 1/7/19] (/showthread.php?tid=151981)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - misterich - 05-13-2018

2 Questions:
1) Will the new Sirius Jump Gate Model be more huge or better dockable for huge capital ships like a Bismarck - or is that even possible with the game's mechanic?
2) Will there be at least some more regional variants of the Sirius Jump Gates. I know they were all built by Ageria (or was it DSE?) but I could image that they are at least in their house's colour - also the green for Rheinland, that ligth Red for Bretonia and so on.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - Durandal - 05-13-2018

(05-13-2018, 12:14 PM)misterich Wrote: 2 Questions:
1) Will the new Sirius Jump Gate Model be more huge or better dockable for huge capital ships like a Bismarck - or is that even possible with the game's mechanic?
2) Will there be at least some more regional variants of the Sirius Jump Gates. I know they were all built by Ageria (or was it DSE?) but I could image that they are at least in their house's colour - also the green for Rheinland, that ligth Red for Bretonia and so on.

1: Not likely to happen in the forseeable future, as the aim here is to improve vanilla models, not modify them.
2: Lighting schemes may change but geometry and mapping are unlikely to.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - SnakThree - 05-13-2018

(05-13-2018, 12:17 PM)Durandal Wrote: 2: Lighting schemes may change but geometry and mapping are unlikely to.

Please, pretty please. Pretty, please.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - Karlotta - 05-13-2018

Wouldn't making the Jump Gates and Trade Lanes larger (simply upscaling them by lets say a factor of 1.2 or even up to 1.5) make cap ship and large transport docking a lot easier? They would also look more imposing.

I find that the vanilla planetary mooring fixtures look very unrealistic, aren't intuitive for new players to dock large transports with instead of the docking rings (I met a few players who didn't know they could dock with planets in their larger ships), and are hard to click and select because they're so thin. Could you make them look more like a larger orbital lift?

Thirdly, is there a reason why vanilla bases aren't growing since 801, while larger stations popped up in previously unexplored systems? Making important vanilla bases (like Newark) larger (like that huge station with biodomes in Munich used to be) would be a seemingly easy way to feed some eye candy to new players early on.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - Durandal - 05-13-2018

(05-13-2018, 12:31 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Wouldn't making the Jump Gates and Trade Lanes larger (simply upscaling them by lets say a factor of 1.2 or even up to 1.5) make cap ship and large transport docking a lot easier? They would also look more imposing.

It's something to consider, but likely a leap that wouldn't happen until we made a move to a different engine. I don't know, it's something we'll be talking about for sure.

(05-13-2018, 12:31 PM)Karlotta Wrote: I find that the vanilla planetary mooring fixtures look very unrealistic, aren't intuitive for new players to dock large transports with instead of the docking rings (I met a few players who didn't know they could dock with planets in their larger ships), and are hard to click and select because they're so thin. Could you make them look more like a larger orbital lift?

I agree with you that they don't look very much like mooring fixtures at all. The main issue here is scale. Scaling them up to look like proper moors next to a freelancer sized planet frankly looks kind of absurd, and besides that, the goal here is to stay true to vanilla wherever possible in upgrading assets.

(05-13-2018, 12:31 PM)Karlotta Wrote: Thirdly, is there a reason why vanilla bases aren't growing since 801, while larger stations popped up in previously unexplored systems? Making important vanilla bases (like Newark) larger (like that huge station with biodomes in Munich used to be) would be a seemingly easy way to feed some eye candy to new players early on.

This question isn't really relevant to my work here. When I say asset I mean a 3d model, a texture, or a sound file. As you probably know, Freelancer's bases are assembled from multiple different components within the system's ini file, so is more of a system development or even story development question than one for this thread.

Could Docking Ring and Mooring Fixture could be merged together to form one object, dockable/moorable by all classes?

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - Thyrzul - 05-13-2018

(05-13-2018, 01:02 PM)SnakThree Wrote: Could Docking Ring and Mooring Fixture could be merged together to form one object, dockable/moorable by all classes?

I'd prefer them staying two objects with attached (and more elaborated, developed) models. I wonder how you could solve the different docking animation/procedure with a single solar.

(05-13-2018, 01:38 PM)Thyrzul Wrote:
(05-13-2018, 01:02 PM)SnakThree Wrote: Could Docking Ring and Mooring Fixture could be merged together to form one object, dockable/moorable by all classes?

I'd prefer them staying two objects with attached (and more elaborated, developed) models. I wonder how you could solve the different docking animation/procedure with a single solar.

Like you have with any other base? You don't see Transports docking into docking bays of stations or battleships...

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - Capt. Henry Morgan - 07-19-2018

Don't worry about people who complain about the framerate issues from higher-res textures. It's not as bad as most people think. During Broken Bonds development, to test the limits of the engine, I made a planet that used six 16384x16384 tiles. My gaming rig at the time was a fairly mediocre machine from 2005, and it ran that planet without so much as a hiccup. I don't think any machine newer than that is going to have issues.

RE: Vanilla Asset Upgrade Project [Jump Gate] - Durandal - 07-31-2018

That may well have been the case, but I'm willing to bet that was the only asset of such quality on screen. Once these things start adding up, that's when you're going to see the performance hit. Ergo, best to do more with less whenever possible.