Discovery Gaming Community
Games that have changed the world - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Games that have changed the world (/showthread.php?tid=16347)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Games that have changed the world - bluntpencil2001 - 04-27-2009

' Wrote:Regarding the Yahoo comments on the game, "Doom," has anyone else but me noticed than whenever politicians want to criticize something for violent behavior, they blame video games and heavy metal? Oh yes, I'm SSSOOOO violent!!! I play BF2142 and because of it I go on shooting rampages:rolleyes:
This all started with the PMRC (Parental Music Resource Center) back in the 90's when Tipper Gore, Al Gore's wife, went to war against the music industry. And Liberals wonder why I hate em' so much.

Heh, that was a socially conservative policy taken up by so-called liberals.

You would find that actual social liberals, such as Jello Biafra, were the most strongly opposed to Tipper Gore's little crusade.

Heh. Misuse of political terms, especially the widespread misuse of 'conservative' and 'liberal' in North America is a pet hate of mine. Liberals, both economically, and socially, are libertarian. You can be liberal on one axis and conservative in the other, such as the position generally taken by the Republican Party, who are liberal economically and conservative socially (save for several issues, such as firearms).

Games that have changed the world - Grimly - 04-29-2009

' Wrote:Heh! It figures that this would turn into a game popularity contest.

If I were to make a list & be limited only to 7 games that changed the world, it would be like this:

1: Pong- obvious cause it's the very first video game ever made

2: Space Invaders- because it kicked off the entire coin operated game industry

3: Combat- The game that was included with the Atari 2600 & kicked off the home console game industry

4: Tetris- The game that made non-gamers want to game.

5: Wolfenstein 3D- the very first FPS

6: Doom- For being the 1st game to deathmatch, thus, pioneering all of online gaming

7: Dune 2- The 1st real RTS that set the standard for the rest of the RTS's to follow
/signed !

Only "Combat" I don't know but all others made me when windows was still called Windows 95:)

Games that have changed the world - Guest - 04-29-2009

You know, when I've entered this thread, I had a whole game list in mind.

I forgot what it was.

Games that have changed the world - Unholy1 - 04-29-2009

Mortal Combat, all of them were great.

Games that have changed the world - n00bl3t - 05-05-2009

Half-life should be on there.

Games that have changed the world - Boss - 05-05-2009

Freelancer should be on there.

Games that have changed the world - Grumblesaur - 05-05-2009

Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy.

I prefer the former.

Games that have changed the world - JunkerTown - 05-05-2009

With all the controversy around it I thought the GTA series could have been listed. When that game first came our people were all in an uproar and cops were asking for everyone to boycott it. Just where are the simulator games at though? Freelancer would be nice to see on the list but if not Freelancer at least one simulator game should be listed in my opinion.

Games that have changed the world - JakeSG - 05-08-2009

The most genre-setting games I can think of:

Crash Bandicoot
Half Life (And mods)
Age of Empires II
Morrowind
NFS: Underground
The Sims
Final Fantasy series

Yeah, I've deffinitely forgotten a lot of games, and there are many more I havn't played than I have, but to me these are some of the ones I'll treasure most. Except NFS and Sims, I was just trying to spread out the genres.

Games that have changed the world - Mere_Mortal - 05-09-2009

One of the game genres missing here is one that is evidently not particularly popular around here, which is Football. Many would say that Championship Manager, released on the Amiga in 1992 although not popular until the next release in 1993, was the start of all that is Football Management Simulation, others might suggest the Premier Manager series released in the same year on the Amiga. Another popular one in its early days, at least until the aforementioned came to scene, was Multi-Player Soccer Manager that was released on the Spectrum in 1990, of course this lacked the programming power of the Amiga yet it still retained replayability. No matter what one's opinion is on the matter, the first of its kind was of course the very original Football Manager that was released on the Spectrum in 1982, a title that was recently rekindled and is now found on typical entertainment shelves. On another level of this genre is Sensible Soccer which, once again, was released on the Amiga in 1992, this game was the most popular real-time football game to exist at the time, nothing really compared although some might prefer Kick Off over this which was already available on the Spectrum and Amiga. All in all, 1992 was a massive year for the entertainment industry when it comes to Sports Simulation.

Another addition I would like to make is Worms, released on the Amiga in 1994. The only possible comparison to this could be Cannon Fodder, same time period and platform, otherwise Worms really is one of the few unique games.